Peco bullhead rail joiners

• RMweb Premium

I’ve used them with no real issues. One or two were a bit tight, resolved by putting a jewellery screwdriver into the slot and twisting it gently. That seems to ease the tight ones enough to fit normally.

DA4FD364-7376-4974-9B78-747288D5E8F4.jpeg

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Shouldn't you be using SL-10 joiners?

No, SL114 is the correct item. SL-10 is for code 100 rail.

I found the bullhead rail joiners fiddly but doable.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, PMP said:

I’ve used them with no real issues. One or two were a bit tight, resolved by putting a jewellery screwdriver into the slot and twisting it gently. That seems to ease the tight ones enough to fit normally.

I have done exactly the same thing and have sometime squeezed the joiner with pliers once tracks are joined.

• Agree 1

It might be worth while to try them on a short piece of rail that has a chamfered end before using them in the actual location. I find holding the joiner and rail in a good light makes the job rather easier. A quick wiggle with a scalpel blade,  any thicker is too wide, will open up the free end and allow just a bit more room for the joiner to slide onto the rail. Then after fitting squeeze as required. It is difficult at first but the method that suits you best can soon be developed. For baseboard joints I solder one end and open up the other and do not rely on the joiner for electrical contact,

Bernard

• Agree 2

Take the "corners" off the rail ends with a fine file.

A slight chamfer on the bottom of the rail and the sides, do not file the top of the rail. You should find this will help start the joiner to slide on to the rail.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

What are people using for insulated joints ?

I have tried 2 ways so far but would love something in between.  

The existing  Peco code 75 flat bottom insulated joiners recommended by Peco look so big and out of place compared to the new nice metal ones.

The Exactoscale H shaped ones are very fine. They are great when hand building on a template but I find a bit delicate when laying track on the baseboard.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dominion said:

The existing  Peco code 75 flat bottom insulated joiners recommended by Peco look so big and out of place compared to the new nice metal ones.

The Exactoscale H shaped ones are very fine. They are great when hand building on a template but I find a bit delicate when laying track on the baseboard.

I think Peco’s N gauge IRJs work with Code 75 bullhead rail - but not an exact fit, obviously.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dominion said:

I've cut down the Peco Code 75 flat bottom insulated rail joiners, to make them roughly the same length as the Bullhead rail joiners, obviously with the 'divider' in the middle of the bit you're left with.  It doesn't look quite as good as the metal one but OK when painted.  It allows you to maintain the same spacing between sleepers without having to cut away any chairs.

You can see one in the middle of this photo; the insulated joiner is on the nearer rail with a metal one on the outer rail:

IMG_3313.jpg.fd8ca10ad9d767476ca67e4ce5f3e255.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, d00m said:

They look great !   I want some of those.....  Where did you get them from and how much?

Follow the link and down at the bottom of "Downloads and details" section there is a price list and contact details.

There isn't an online shop as such, it is a brief exchange of emails with the proprietor, Alan Austin, and payment via PayPal.

13 hours ago, teaky said:

Follow the link and down at the bottom of "Downloads and details" section there is a price list and contact details.

There isn't an online shop as such, it is a brief exchange of emails with the proprietor, Alan Austin, and payment via PayPal.

Thanks !   Wow what a find. Loads of stuff on there I will be ordering!

Edited by d00m
Forgot stuff