OO LNER Ballast Brake Van kit

alexl102

There's never been  plastic kit for one of those (either version), just the D&S (etched) kit. That said, the chassis is the same as the LNER/BR standard brake so if you get a Bachmann or Hornby example of those with full-length footboards it would be possible to build a new body. The difficult bit - the ducket - could be reclaimed from the donor model.

Adam

• Informative/Useful 1

On 17/04/2020 at 07:24, Adam said:

There's never been  plastic kit for one of those (either version), just the D&S (etched) kit. That said, the chassis is the same as the LNER/BR standard brake so if you get a Bachmann or Hornby example of those with full-length footboards it would be possible to build a new body. The difficult bit - the ducket - could be reclaimed from the donor model.

Adam

The chassis is the same as the standard LNER brake? I'd be modifying the body quite heavily anyway to turn it into a rough coach so maybe would be better off modifying a standard LNER brake van?

1 hour ago, alexl102 said:

The chassis is the same as the standard LNER brake? I'd be modifying the body quite heavily anyway to turn it into a rough coach so maybe would be better off modifying a standard LNER brake van?

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at? If I wanted a model of an LNER ballast brake (I built a D&S kit ages ago and model the Southern region so that's quite a big 'if'!), I'd build a new body on the chassis of an LNER or BR brake - there's almost nothing in common above the solebar apart from the ducket so it's easier to start from scratch with plastic sheet (the planking can be bought from Evergreen).

Adam

On 17/04/2020 at 07:24, Adam said:

Adam

I did tick the "Informative/Useful" box on that comment. Then I checked on Tatlow. While the wheelbase is the same at 16ft, the standard brake underframe is 24ft over headstocks while that of the NER design Ballast Brake is 27ft. That's 3ft difference in my book so "the same", it isn't:rtfm:. Chopping about required.

I had been thinking about the LNER design ballast brake and ballast plough designs for some time, to complete a BR period PW train already equipped with trout and shark and one or two other items. This started into action following a s/h purchase of a bundle of stock which included one of those weird GWR brakes where the second veranda got forgotten.

The GWR job is a good basis for the LNER ballast plough, with much sawing up of the body and reassembly with veranda donations from the old off-scale Mainline Toad E, to make a true Frankenwagen. A Mainline BR Toad D will provide the running chassis and ducket for a largely scratch body from plasticard for the ballast brake. It will be a little rough, because my recollections of the prototype as seen in the 1960s was of a poorly maintained garden shed of fairly shabby design to start with...

2 hours ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

I did tick the "Informative/Useful" box on that comment. Then I checked on Tatlow. While the wheelbase is the same at 16ft, the standard brake underframe is 24ft over headstocks while that of the NER design Ballast Brake is 27ft. That's 3ft difference in my book so "the same", it isn't:rtfm:. Chopping about required.

Mea culpa. In my defence, the model isn't to hand - it's social distancing with dad 150 odd miles away - and so is the family copy of Tatlow. 6mm each end in 4mm scale which is similar but not, as you're absolutely right to point out, the same. Apologies.

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hmm ok, that makes more sense - I did think that the standard LNER brake was a bit shorter than the ballast vans look on photos.

My intention is to take inspiration from the Tanfield Railway and create a simple, industrial coach such as this - which is converted from an LNER ballast brake van (I'm also converting from an SR PMV as the Middleton Railway have done). My biggest priority is finding a suitable chassis - is the GWR TOAD brakevan a better bet? I don't mind if the wheelbase isn't accurate; it isn't about creating a perfect replica, just a representation that will look right running with a bunch of other oddball conversions.

Cheers!

I've been trying to persuade a kit manufacture to do a later body that will fit on a Bachmann brake U/F and utilise the Bachmann steel ducket. Problem is it would probably require the builder to form the curve in the roof.

Anyone interested?

P

16 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

I've been trying to persuade a kit manufacture to do a later body that will fit on a Bachmann brake U/F and utilise the Bachmann steel ducket. Problem is it would probably require the builder to form the curve in the roof.

Anyone interested?

Surely, most people these days would prefer a scale size vehicle rather than one modified to fit a standard chassis. I certainly would even if that means cutting and shutting multiple RTR chassis. Forming a roof is not a big deal, all you need is a tin of about the right diameter and length, some plastic card and some boiling water. One option would be to make some flat-pack sides and ends as patterns for resin casting plus a choice of duckets.

• Agree 1