What is this Virtual Members' Day then?

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

Would you like me to open a bottle of Ampleforth ale for you Phil? :D

This sounds like a fantastic event and I’m very keen to help out, maybe with the running of some trains on my home layout. It’s also quite poignant for me as a few years ago I held some ‘open weekends’ with my layout to raise money for charitable causes, and so it would be a pleasure to do the same again. 

Please! Cant get Ampleforth so will have to be Old Tom here....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Dagworth said:

SWAG Northern border watchman Dagworth reporting that, in this instance and this one only, the border will be OPEN for the weekend.

Tariffs may be imposed however.

Andi 

Completely misread this, thought it said "Taffs will be imposed" :O

I am looking forward to this, it's still on my calender as a day I'm not doing home stuff ;) (Or work for that matter :D )

Edited by Ramblin Rich
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, 43110andyb said:

Excuse me! It’s my job not to not book the van!  :blink: :mocking_mini:

-Andy

I can now confirm after not spending hours trawling the local van hire websites that the Luton van is officially not hired for the exhibition, we can all look forward to not having to drive the 302 miles -but look forward to ‘virtually’ attending a very good cause! :good:

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Please! Cant get Ampleforth so will have to be Old Tom here....

Old Tom is a favourite of mine. However, I did get out of my tree on it a few years back by simply loosing track of how many I had...until it was too late..........An early night was the order of the day and something of a gentle introduction to the following morning was in order. 

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I may or may not be able to confirm or not that I might or might not be in a position to not attend this year.  

To borrow an expression.  

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I may or may not be able to confirm or not that I might or might not be in a position to not attend this year.  

To borrow an expression.  

Think you're suffering from Kernowvirus :)

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Can I check the catering arrangements please. Who is / or is not providing the pasties and more importantly will Beer be provided / or not as the case may be! Don’t worry @AY Mod I’ll bring my own pint glass. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Beer on the day is not normally provided, so will not not not be provided on the day this year.

However, beer has been known to be requested and purchased on the eve ( all the previous day in some cases) of the event, so please feel at liberty to BYO.

There will be a dedicated catering thread detailing pasties, pies and cake, so beer would fit well in that context.

HTH.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, AY Mod said:

By qualification of being inside the perimeter of SWAG you are permitted to go through all the pain of virtually loading up the car, rounding up operators for the early start, keeping them out of Little Chefs en-route and setting everything up for opening time. To save the headache it may be easier to post some of those lovely videos of running days in your sunny garden.

Yo Mr York

I know I am not very bright so can be confused very easily. Being safely outside bandit country the SWAG area but was invited, therefore given a pass to stick two fingers up at that Dagworth bloke, to bring my little train set to Taunton. Do I still have one the kids video me making a prat of myself with the little train set?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I know I am not very bright so can be confused very easily. Being safely outside bandit country the SWAG area but was invited, therefore given a pass to stick two fingers up at that Dagworth bloke, to bring my little train set to Taunton. Do I still have one the kids video me making a prat of myself with the little train set?

You were a select 'bain't be from round 'ere' invitee Clive so your contributions will be warmly welcomed and appreciated. This is a specific permit not to travel and can be waved at Warrant Office Dagworth if he pulls you over, probably around Almondsbury Interchange.

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Dear Mr Mortimore Sir,

As referenced above, you were indeed invited to warmer climes, along with your pocine-themed railway.

However, inlight of circumstances beyond even Mr York's control, digitally recorded happenings of either your small one or your big one would be equally acceptable and most welcome.

We shall not reserve a pasty for you.

• Like 2

• Moderators
9 hours ago, mozzer models said:

Hi Andy have you seen my PM

Thanks Brian, thanks for lending 247 Developments' support to the fundraiser.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 17/04/2020 at 09:35, AY Mod said:

All the regulars know how the real-life event works and some of the team are now up to speed with the concept of the virtual event. It's all a bit different this year!

The event will take place in virtual form on Sunday 26th April and will be hosted on RMweb.

If I understand the way events work (this is clearly not a non-event) the following questions usually get asked about now:

1.  How do I amend my RMweb membership status to ‘virtual member’ for this ‘virtual members’ day’ - is there a link for the downgrade I’ll need?

2.  Will there be a demonstration or clinic for virtual modelling, in keeping with the themes of the event? (Having been mainly non-modelling for most of the past 40 years I’d be particularly interested - I have hundreds of unbuilt layout ideas in need of expert advice)

3.  What is the virtual definition of “South-West” - I do live in Great Western country, but can also see Liverpool from the end of my road for example.  I’ve built this - does that count?

70FA4FCD-A040-4DAC-8BBF-CB5B39CAD06B.jpeg.d82b27106729ce927685274913e7b64b.jpeg

Just wondered?

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
Reinstating photos
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

1.  How do I amend my RMweb membership status to ‘virtual member’ for this ‘virtual members’ day’ - is there a link for the downgrade I’ll need?

2.  Will there be a demonstration or clinic for virtual modelling, in keeping with the themes of the event? (Having been mainly non-modelling for most of the past 40 years I’d be particularly interested - I have hundreds of unbuilt layout ideas in need of expert advice)

3.  What is the virtual definition of “South-West” - I do live in Great Western country, but can also see Liverpool from the end of my road for example.  I’ve built this - does that count?

1. I will investigate the non-availability of downgrades, we're pretty good at arranging ad hoc interruptions in facilities.

2. Keep an eye open for Mick Bonwick not giving useful paint and weathering advice.

3. Depends who you ask or what they feel like! Gloucestershire, South-west or Midlands? Don't ask people where the Midlands are, even we don't know.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Well this is a real improvement as I might actually be able to virtually get there this year (although I'll need to check to see if it clashes with our cancelled week at sea) having missed two past events due to Notwork Rail deciding not to work to get me to Taunton one year,  and then my accommodation being double booked the following year (although I did share a bed with the lady involved over 40 years ago but I suspect her subsequently acquired husband wouldn't like it if I did so again, and neither would my subsequently acquired wife:butcher:)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Only if you have absolutely no intention of buying anything and ask a lot of time-wasting questions.

Ooh yes every time but I’m going to miss rolling the toffees in my pocket between my fingers to get a better grip to turn the pages and then of course one needs to fold over where you finish so you can find your place again after a look round the rest of the no show :dance:

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, PaulRhB said:

Ooh yes every time but I’m going to miss rolling the toffees in my pocket between my fingers to get a better grip to turn the pages and then of course one needs to fold over where you finish so you can find your place again after a look round the rest of the no show :dance:

If you want a different take on 'the customer is always right', try this - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35512560-the-diary-of-a-bookseller

Very interesting and laugh-out-loud in places. He's now written a sequel as well, which CTMK and I are also reading.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

my accommodation being double booked the following year (although I did share a bed with the lady involved over 40 years ago 

We read it here first. The Stationmaster as a rampant shagger! How are one's illusions shattered? 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9