MAY 2020 BRM

Howard Smith

• Moderators

Tired of staying at home and social distancing? Enjoy escapism with our May issue of BRM, on-sale now as a digital edition from pocketmags.com/BRM

Included on BRM TV, is a tour of Kepier Colliery (OO), Phil Parker goes back to basics cutting track and Howard Smith weathers a building for the BRM project layout.

Feature_9.jpg.5e264416ede015374edb387ca6652d8d.jpg

Across our pages, we explore Kepier Colliery (OO) - a layout built from memories of youth.

Feature_1.jpg.809a5d18facb736742c16409dae2fec0.jpg

Plus, Dent Station (OO), Coton-on-Dove (EM) and Wadleys Brewery (OO) complete our layout lineup.

Feature_4.jpg.2d61242cfa217d121318dc8826ccf715.jpg

Dent (OO)

Feature_41.jpg.1a12989ddd412ac30c6427a1414dbd31.jpg

Coton-on-Dove (EM)

Wadleys_4.jpg.5b9efa1465ec44567b4c743ebcbc0a66.jpg

Wadleys Brewery (OO)

This month, Practical BRM has ideas to recreate a warehouse, plus see how traditional craft knife methods or a sihouette cutter can be used to make buildings as Howard Smith and Phil Parker complete the buildings for Runcorn Salt Union.

1317183244_FinishedModel.jpg.1bb69b2792b0bbaa761ace657ee90fe5.jpg

23.jpg.e5e7c9fd4d728272c32e798235d9f7e7.jpg

We build the latest industrial shunter from Narrow Planet...

loco.jpg.7086158b6139d085e406c607b1a489c2.jpg

...and share ideas for your first narrow gauge industrial layout, too.

And, learn how to create your ideal trackplan without errors!

1994722403_WonkyWalls.jpg.07ab98fe7719aad7dcf56482b29e973b.jpg

Reviews this month comprise Hornby's Princess Royal and TCS' Universal WiFi Throttle.

princess.jpg.b12c8990555ab6395f250ea5eec28485.jpg

TCS_throttle.jpg.e6a8e050237f7b79790dedb7a542ea73.jpg

Don't miss this issue, on-sale now as a digital edition today from pocketmags.com/BRM

• Like 9

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, DeeeUU said:

Has this been sent to subscribers yet?, I guess the current crisis could be holding up deliveries?

I think it's dependent upon local sorting and delivery via Royal Mail. I've not seen the subs copy at RMweb Towers but they're on their way.

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I just love Kepier Colliery, very inspirational. 

I've had a soft spot for that since I saw it probably ten years ago. So much appealing detail in a great scene; doesn't take up too much space and John's such a lovely bloke. I could listen to his tales for ages.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, bart2day said:

This is why I don’t subscribe to BRM. Not a single diesel or electric loco or unit in sight on any of those layouts. You should rename it British Steam Railway Modelling. :nea_mini:

You must have missed the brief shot of the Clayton with coal hoppers on the Kepier Colliery video. 

• Like 2

Postmans just been.

Looking forward to reading my subs copy when it arrives...

28th, it finally arrived!  Now for a fresh cup of coffee and a couple of bikkies.....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just received my subcribers copy through the post today but minus the DVD. 

The welcome column mentions that this is sadly only available to digital subscribers for the time being due to the current situation. 

With previous digital editions I've purchased and indeed the recent free digital sample of the March edition, the DVD is hosted on YouTube.  So why couldn't you have made it available to paper subscribers via a link printed in the magazine? 

I know that there will still be a few who prefer or can only watch via a dvd player, but at least you would have allowed as many of your subscribers as possible to view the DVD.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/04/2020 at 01:28, bart2day said:

... I don’t subscribe to BRM. Not a single diesel or electric loco or unit in sight on any of those layouts.

On 24/04/2020 at 09:22, jonny777 said:

You must have missed the brief shot of the Clayton with coal hoppers on the Kepier Colliery video. 

Almost certainly did miss this sequence - after all, by definition, anyone who isn't a subscriber won't be a digital subscriber - and won't have access to any of the DVD content right now.

As for whether / when the BRM team / Warners are in a position to offer non digital subscribers access to this material, I suspect we might find out in due course.

Understandably, I would prefer not to get involved in any speculation on this issue.

• Like 1

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, beejack said:

So why couldn't you have made it available to paper subscribers via a link printed in the magazine? 

We will ensure it is rectified somehow. If you politely PM me I will be able to give you a link on Monday. Bit busy today! 

• Like 2

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 14:51, beejack said:

The welcome column mentions that this is sadly only available to digital subscribers for the time being due to the current situation. 

With previous digital editions I've purchased and indeed the recent free digital sample of the March edition, the DVD is hosted on YouTube.  So why couldn't you have made it available to paper subscribers via a link printed in the magazine? 

I know that there will still be a few who prefer or can only watch via a dvd player, but at least you would have allowed as many of your subscribers as possible to view the DVD.

I too prefer the paper copy with DVD, sadly we don't have fast internet, and it never displays well on my portable device... I was slightly confused as I saw various adverts saying free dvd with this content... then I saw others saying digital content... when I purchased the mag (paper version) the description also mention extra content but wasn't clear if it did or didn't have a dvd.

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 25/04/2020 at 14:51, beejack said:

Print subscribers were sent an email (where we had an email address) with a link to BRM TV online. I'll message you the link.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Steve

Looking through my emails I found it. 

My email provider blocks images so when I took a quick look at the email I missed it.

Thanks for the link.

Brian

Had a quick flick through the issue when the postie delivered it yesterday morning. I could certainly get used to Industrial themed issues, this looks fantastic. Tempted by one of those Planet Industrials diesels for my micro layout, that's for sure!

I'm glad I subscribed, thank you to all involved! :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Administrators
On 29/04/2020 at 07:35, DanielB said:

Tempted by one of those Planet Industrials diesels for my micro layout, that's for sure!

It IS a terrific kit. I'd recommend it. Looks great and simple to build too.

Photo11_small.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
On 01/05/2020 at 18:31, DanielB said:

Is it easy to add DCC to?

It runs on a Tenshodo SPUD, so conversion is possible (I'm told) but a little tricky. You'd need to put breaks in the connections from the pickups to the motor. Not out of the question, but not a plug-in either.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I seem to have a problem with the link to BRM tv on my Exactly copy. It isn’t working and no amount of finger poking will get it to load up youtube 

Any advice? (Exactly v13.0.2 running on iPad).

Thanks

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Taz said:

I seem to have a problem with the link to BRM tv on my Exactly copy. It isn’t working and no amount of finger poking will get it to load up youtube 

Any advice? (Exactly v13.0.2 running on iPad).

Thanks

As you have some shiny adornments Brian you should be able to get to it via this post -

Obviously there's still some issues need addressing but that should work in the interim.

• Thanks 1

The Dent layout is simply superb, quite difficult to distinguish it from the photos of the real thing! The only tiny criticism I have is that I don't think you would see a bus on the coal road, I don't even think a bus could make it to the station car park up the narrow winding road, steep and including a very tight hairpin bend.

Edward