Frog Juicers,pros and cons,any opinions whos used these.

ERIC ALLTORQUE

• RMweb Premium

The layout i am working to construct is a four track main line,Loft fitted at 22x14 and DCC,wanting live frog on and off so been looking into frog juicers to control polarity,has anyone used these much,like/dislike/any good or one better than another??

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

The layout i am working to construct is a four track main line,Loft fitted at 22x14 and DCC,wanting live frog on and off so been looking into frog juicers to control polarity,has anyone used these much,like/dislike/any good or one better than another??

I am certain there will be those who are for and against the use of frog juicers ( various threads on here have been discussed at length in the past ).

I have certainly used them and very happy, the main ones I have used are the Tam Valley Hex Frog Juicers specifically  HFJ003 which permits 6 frogs to operate from one board.

There are others out there but this one is a fit and forget too, much like Ians experience with his preferred type.

Edited by bgman
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, bgman said:

I am certain there will be those who are for and against the use of frog juicers ( various threads on here have been discussed at length in the past ).

I have certainly used them and very happy, the main ones I have used are the Tam Valley Hex Frog Juicers specifically  HFJ003 which permits 6 frogs to operate from one board.

There are others out there but this one is a fit and forget too, much like Ians experience with his preferred type.

That one i have looked at,thanks for reply young fella

• Friendly/supportive 1

I used the Tam Valley ones for some years on the various incarnations of Danemouth. Eventually both of them failed so I bit the bullet and started using the switches in the Cobalt motors instead.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Depending on how the turnouts are operated (typically type of motors used), they may already have switching on the motors, or the control switches, which can change the frog polarity.   Thus, operating the turnout would change the frog.   So juicers are, in those cases, an unnecessary expense. 

- Nigel

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Danemouth said:

I used the Tam Valley ones for some years on the various incarnations of Danemouth. Eventually both of them failed so I bit the bullet and started using the switches in the Cobalt motors instead.

Dave

By years is it many or would you have expected more time,nothing last forever so was one or two or five plus say,thanks for the reply sir

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

By years is it many or would you have expected more time,nothing last forever so was one or two or five plus say,thanks for the reply sir

About six years, it was odd that they failed within a couple of weeks of each other.

Dave

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Used Tam Valley 6 way Juicers at both ends of my 24' layout controlling main line and FY entrances/exits. Rather expensive but the best bit if dosh I spent and they (touch wood) have worked perfectly and without fault for 3 years.

Simples to install. Highly recommended.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Mallard.  All the points on my OO layout use Tam Valley frog juicers.  They were simple to fit and have worked perfectly even since fitted - I’m not sure how long I’ve had them, but I think its about 8 years.  The points they are fitted to are operated by a mix of manual (piano wire rod)  and Peco solenoids.  They get a great deal of use when I exhibit the layout as its a very busy terminus to fiddle yard design.

On another layout I used Peco accessory switches attached to their solenoid point motors but after a while they became unreliable.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I have used the very affordable Gaugemaster BPDCCC80 equivalent to very good effect. Dead easy to install and does what it says on the tin. Real fit and forget kit. 

The Gaugemaster ones seem to work fine on my HO Czech layout using Peco turnouts and SEEP solenoids. I have also fitted a couple on the N scale fiddleyard for Banbury when I added and extra loop. However, upon installing them on my new 009 layout they dont work well with shorter wheelbase locos even the Heljan Manning and Wardles despite all pickups on the pony wheels working properly. I have now swapped them for Tam Valley Frog Juicers and they work fine on the 009 as they have done on Banbury for 9 years at many shows.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, ColinK said:

I agree with Mallard.  All the points on my OO layout use Tam Valley frog juicers.  They were simple to fit and have worked perfectly even since fitted - I’m not sure how long I’ve had them, but I think its about 8 years.  The points they are fitted to are operated by a mix of manual (piano wire rod)  and Peco solenoids.  They get a great deal of use when I exhibit the layout as its a very busy terminus to fiddle yard design.

On another layout I used Peco accessory switches attached to their solenoid point motors but after a while they became unreliable.

I forgot to say that the points/crossings (latter using the Juicer) in the area are driven off-stage by Peco and Gaugemaster surface mounted simple solenoids, driven from a DCC Concepts feeder thingy called a DCS8 or something and an ancient H & M Flash Unit (huge thing with six outputs) that cost me £5 and Micro Switches. The other 'end' of the layout dealing with points to the FY isn't wired up yet, only the main line Points and crossings.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've got about 40 points with Tortoise motors and I don't have a single juicer, the frogs* are all switched by the point motors. (*that includes adjacent diamond crossings as well.

IMHO As long as you use motors with decent switches and if you are competent at wiring, juicers are a total waste of money.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I've got about 40 points with Tortoise motors and I don't have a single juicer, the frogs* are all switched by the point motors. (*that includes adjacent diamond crossings as well.

IMHO As long as you use motors with decent switches and if you are competent at wiring, juicers are a total waste of money.

I would like to use Tortoise but my boards are not deep enough to make use of them  hence using SEEPS which are as low as £3.95 these days. If I made the board framing deeper then the layout wouldn't fit in the car.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Silly question, but nobody seems to have asked: which track manufacturer you are using!

If you are using Peco then Gaugemaster's DCC80s will help, but if you're using most other manufacturers of track, they've designed their points properly so that such is not necessary!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I would like to use Tortoise but my boards are not deep enough to make use of them  hence using SEEPS which are as low as £3.95 these days. If I made the board framing deeper then the layout wouldn't fit in the car.

I started with Seeps* but soon dumped them for something better.

You can mount Tortoises (or Cobalts) on their side, I have a few in difficult places so fixed.

*Actually I had a few H&M point motors but as they weren't still made getting enough wasn't going to be easy.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, JohnDMJ said:

Silly question, but nobody seems to have asked: which track manufacturer you are using!

If you are using Peco then Gaugemaster's DCC80s will help, but if you're using most other manufacturers of track, they've designed their points properly so that such is not necessary!

No

The others haven't designed theirs properly, Peco have.:jester:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I started with Seeps* but soon dumped them for something better.

You can mount Tortoises (or Cobalts) on their side, I have a few in difficult places so fixed.

*Actually I had a few H&M point motors but as they weren't still made getting enough wasn't going to be easy.

Even mounted sideways they still don't fit having tried to do that with one that a retailer lent me some years ago.

My H & M 's have finally been replaced after around 30 years of use on Appledore with SEEP's

• Friendly/supportive 1

Ah yes, Frog Juicers - the Marmite of model railways ;)

My US O Scale layout has 5 hand-built switches (turnouts, points, insert description of choice) which are manually thrown with Caboose Industries Ground Throws. Due to the spacing of the 5 switches around the layout (17ft x 8ft) I use Tam Valley Mono Frog Juicers - more expensive than one Hex Juicer, but avoids long wiring runs, which are not good practice for juicers; site them as close to the switches/turnouts/points/yadda-yadda-yadda as possible.

Interestingly/weirdly, 2 Tam Valley Mono juicers are cheaper than a Double one. :scratchhead:

As an aside, in over 40 years in the hobby, and umpty-nine layouts, I have never used point motors, ever. Must've saved me far more over the years than my frog juicers cost :sarcastichand:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Ah yes, Frog Juicers - the Marmite of model railways ;)

As an aside, in over 40 years in the hobby, and umpty-nine layouts, I have never used point motors, ever. Must've saved me far more over the years than my frog juicers cost :sarcastichand:

Actually I have 54 turnouts all operated by DCC.

Try throwing that many by hand. :nono:

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Actually I have 54 turnouts all operated by DCC.

Try throwing that many by hand. :nono:

Ah, sorry - where did I say "no layouts at all should use point motors"? 

No, I was just talking about my own situation - I've probably not used 54 turnouts in all my layouts put together! In fact that's given me a great idea for when I'm really bored during the lock down - I'll try and think back, list all my layouts, and work it out. :yes: :mail:

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I tried a frog juicer on my Fryers Lane layout; partly out of curiosity, partly out of laziness.

I'm not sure if it was a result of the Roco Multimaus or the steel rail, but there is a noticeable arcing when locos run through the crossing vee.  For that reason alone, I've no plans to use them again, I'll switch vee polarity through some other method.

• Thanks 1