Garage Insulation Question

Hey guys

I'm in the process of getting my garage ready for my building my layout. It's s brick garage attached to side of my house and is not quite double size but more 1.5 sized garage.

I've got an insulated garage door and will be replacing old wooden window with double glazing unit after lockdown finishes.

I've got two wooden doors but would it be worth replacing with double glazing unit? The garage is still used to house my car but has enough room for a 10m X 5m layout.

Now some of walls are single brick which I could do with insulating these, how's best to do that and what materials are best?

• RMweb Gold

If the garage is attached to the house, is there a possibility of insulating the outside of the external masonry elevations and then putting a weatherproof cladding on the outside of the insulation?

This gives you the benefits of thermal mass from the masonry reaching the ambient room temperature which reduces the heating cost in the long term, and the cladding affords the masonry protection from the elements in the same way as a cavity wall system, but you do have to make sure the work is done correctly to avoid thermal bridges.

If you ring kingspan/celotex etc they will give you advice on suitable thickness of insulation required and membranes needed. Also look on the cederal and James Hardie for cladding ideas ( there are more manufacturers mentioned here)

• Like 2

However, do take care if you start changing the use of the garage into something else AND remove the doors, that you don't fall foul of any planning restrictions in your area. A discreet look at planning guidelines may save problems later - planning laws change all the time.

Cheers,

Philip

• RMweb Gold

I actually checked with the local authority before I moved in.  In all discussions with them I called it a hobby room.  I actually left the garage doors intact so that visually from the outside there's no change apart from putting a double-glazed window replacing the thin glass version.  Inside, the doors were boarded up with damp course, insulation panels, and plasterboard.

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Philou said:

However, do take care if you start changing the use of the garage into something else AND remove the doors, that you don't fall foul of any planning restrictions in your area. A discreet look at planning guidelines may save problems later - planning laws change all the time.

Cheers,

Philip

My conversion changed the use of the garage to a ‘habitable space’ with full building regs in place, I could if I desired add running water and turn it into a living space, in hindsight I probably should have run pipes in there for a sink and washing machine but that would have meant digging up the bodies under the patio, sorry digging up the patio 

Being in Australia, is probably not a great help BUT, over here we have insulation batts.
My current one which I have has been insulated with batts all through the walls and a silver foam/rubber product in the roof and is brilliant.
For your brick walls frame it out with timber and use the insulation of choice. The more insulation all around the better off you are in both winter and summer!

khris