eBay 3D printed class 507/508 kit

Marc d

Finally got my two kits together, be awesome to have these running together as a six car. Slight height differences but a cool picture and I’ve never seen another model 507/508 in the yellow regional railways livery

41156FFF-BD5D-4C93-8F86-769B9EE8FC6B.jpeg

4AD7CEDD-5C49-4820-A233-F2C24BAF7697.jpeg

18A2CEF8-D270-40AF-808E-C2D4EB863E80.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

they are like chalk and cheese!

amazing what a difference the advances in 3D printing produce, and the window frames look sooooo much better on the blue/grey one

height wise though which would you say is sitting better?

i wish id have got the ltd ed 150/2 hattons did in liverpool PTE livery, drove a few of them but when it was released £99 seemed a lot of money for a DMU

Yeah the quality is much better with the 3D printing, it makes the old Ayjay kit look even worse haha. The blue/grey model sits much better. The underframe components and the bogies look more realistic and I could never get the chassis to sit right with the Ayjay kit. I would like to build another 3D printed kit and do it in the yellow livery but can’t justify spending the money at the moment with the high risk of being made redundant 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

i was on the brink of clicking buy it now this week then Hornby announced 66731 and a couple of bargains came up via the bargain hunters thread so ive had to put it on hold again!

• RMweb Gold

Ive been watching that kit too on ebay, its nice to see one assembled, indeed the blue grey looks really nice.

i’m tied between this and thinking of getting a 150/2 and making a 318 from it.

Though that said my discounted 170’s arrived today and i’m thinking of a class 357.

too many ideas not enough time.

Guest Half-full

The 3D Printed kit seems so much better than the Ayjay kit, the massive crap a seagull has just done on my patio table looks more like a 508 than the Ayjay Kit!

Looks like the 3D print needs a good bit of surface finishing to get rid of the layering, you've made a good job of the kit!

• 2 months later...
On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 17:46, big jim said:

That will be one of @piranha230 kits,

Is he reading this or still active on here ?????????

I ordered 2 items via Ebay  on 22nd June, from him

the two items have yet not arrived

mainly from seeing the good results his modelling aids have given in the forum !

Not received & no direct reply when asked on their status.

Now going through the ''Resolution Centre''

Not a good advert of ''customer service'' I sadly think.

Peter

• Friendly/supportive 1

I ordered a 4-car 508 on 15th May that has not yet arrived here in Australia. However, the mails have been all over the place for transit times, so I am not yet worried. Only today I received a model from  a Danish retailer ordered in June, but some other items from retailers and eBay sellers from earlier have not arrived yet,

2 hours ago, SRman said:

I ordered a 4-car 508 on 15th May that has not yet arrived here in Australia. However, the mails have been all over the place for transit times, so I am not yet worried. Only today I received a model from  a Danish retailer ordered in June, but some other items from retailers and eBay sellers from earlier have not arrived yet,

We could club together & purchase the real thing soon,

Understand Liverpool are having new replacements now.

More units to reduce to scrap in Cardiff & send to China otherwise.

thanks.

• Like 1

Ordered some cast pantograph roof wells for Mk1 EMUs from him, and they arrived today. Between 1-2 months for it to arrive. He may be slow, but i dont think he does this for a living.

Myself i am happy he does these, saves a lot of scratchbuilding.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got my 507 kit the other day, and its not a bad bit of gear either. Detail is nice, and comes with bogie side details, underframe details, metal windows, and all three coach sections. It looks to be a very enjoyable (And frustrating no doubt!) winter project for me.

Only slight niggle would be the lack of any printed information on the location of the underframe detailing (Although I think this may have been on his ebay page which has sadly been taken down whilst he's moving house), and one of the carriage sections has warped during printing, meaning a lot of fiddling about with sanding and filling awaits me. Not that much of a surprise considering that it is a 3d printed model and not injection molded like the big companies can churn out, but it would have been nice if it had been to the same standard as the rest of the supplied parts. I have considered contacting him about it, but in all honesty I'd be really nit picking. After all, this kind of project is not for the faint of heart. At present there are no options I can find for the internal detailing (Drivers cab, seating etc), so I may need to make my own.

Having read the comments above, a word of warning to the would be buyer: you need to have the patience of Job when you order from this chap. This isn't Hattons, so no 48hr delivery times here! The only complaints I've read have tended to be centred around delivery times, as he doesn't warn you on his ebay item's information that you could be waiting a long time for your purchase. In my case it was whisker under two months. Thankfully he did respond to emails, so I didn't end up asking for my money back thinking it was a scam!

Would I order from him again? Yes, definitely. I have the motors, bogies, and DCC sound chips from Legomanbiffo standing by. All it needs now is time, patience, and a lot of tea and biscuits.

Now, if only I had the skills...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Will you be posting your progress on here as you build it? I came to similar conclusions about the class 323 kit that I'm building (see my Workbench thread). I found that mine had warped outwards at the bottom, some warm water helped soften it to pull it back into shape. It's gone together reasonably well so far.

Be careful, the plastic can be brittle and crack under pressure while working on it, I found out the hard way but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

• 1 month later...

Little bit of an update, I’ve ordered some kadee 17 couplings for the carriages and kadee 5’s for the tightlock couplings on the cab ends. Will update with some pics ASAP. Also looking into making a realistic looking gangway between the carriages and sorting out the interiors

• Like 1

Kadee 17 couplings fitted finally. Shame there’s a large gap between the coaches but the 17s are the shortest ones that fit in the Hornby class 153 bogies I’m using. Next job is to fit the kadee 5 couplings on the cab ends and sort out the electrical boxes underneath the coupling and next to the coupling

690104B8-5C09-4EAA-B2AE-7C6E98C2599C.jpeg

CD994745-DA24-4152-9028-8A1551E4CD99.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It shouldn't be hard to shorten the huge 'tongue' on the 153 bogies to reduce the gap to something much better. I'd just cut a slice out, then use another piece of plastic glued on top to strengthen the join.

• Agree 1

Not hijacking Marc's topic, as I will show this on my own layout topic as well as any further work, but here's the first steps on the kit I bought (no sign of the one that went missing though). I have only superglued the shells together here, after using some near-boiling water to reshape the slight distortions in some of the open ends of the segments.

I will be reinforcing the joins with some 5-minute Araldite and then filling and filing to blend them.

l8i5egIO_t.jpg

tmMDGOpg_t.jpg

Edited by SRman
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I've just obtained some of these too, but a different selection of parts as I'm intending to try and make a 4-PEP out of them.  It'll mean scratch building the cab ends and cutting the shells in different places, but I'm always up for a challenge.

I'll post a thread on here about it when I get started, but there are a few things ahead of it on the workbench.

Marc - great looking model!  If you want the vehicles coupled closer together you could remove the couplings from the bogies altogether and couple the underframes together instead. That's how I always do multiple units - example here:   

Best regards

Stuart

• Like 1