Article in Daily Telegraph today

CUCKOO LINE

Ditto Lego.  Adults finally realising that work isn't everything.

When this all started, I thought we'd have a generation of netflix couch potatoes.  Seems not.   People have got into art, crafts, gardening, cooking.   Every cloud really does have a silver lining.  

Let's hope the new creative Britain continues

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Ditto Lego.  Adults finally realising that work isn't everything.

When this all started, I thought we'd have a generation of netflix couch potatoes.  Seems not.   People have got into art, crafts, gardening, cooking.   Every cloud really does have a silver lining.  

Let's hope the new creative Britain continues

When this started, my first thought was also about a creative Lego(ver) activity 'on the couch' which will lead to a generation...

• Funny 2

• Administrators
18 hours ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

Seems Airfix, Hornby Trains and Humbrol paints selling well according to a quote from Lyndon Davies today. Business at Christmas levels.

Christmas levels and a bit in some cases apparently. Hornby aren't the only ones benefiting from this either.

The important thing is that people aren't buying just because they need a present to give, they are buying because they want to build the project.

• Like 9
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I am slowly working through a bunch of Tamiya 1/35 kits and I know a few others passing the time making plastic kits.

Doing the same thing myself, though in my case it’s a mixed bag of 1/48, 1/72 and 1/144 aircraft kits, some resin wagon kits, some laminated card carriage kits and even some ancient Kitmaster/Airfix loco and coach kits. I even have a couple of brass Roxey Mouldings kits that I’m determined to get to grips with!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Islesy said:

Doing the same thing myself, though in my case it’s a mixed bag of 1/48, 1/72 and 1/144 aircraft kits, some resin wagon kits, some laminated card carriage kits and even some ancient Kitmaster/Airfix loco and coach kits. I even have a couple of brass Roxey Mouldings kits that I’m determined to get to grips with!

Splendid! 

On 1/35 kits do you know if the next Airfix models will be true Airfix models please? The entry of Airfix into 1/35 military subjects was great news and using Academy Minicraft tooling a good way to dip a toe into the water but it would be great to see Airfix do it properly. I think the newer generation Airfix kits are superb and as good as the best available. That said many of the old items stil have a certain charm and in most cases still make good replicas of the prototype and with a bit of effort can scrub up very well. And of course there is that classic box art, wonderful! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

Splendid! 

On 1/35 kits do you know if the next Airfix models will be true Airfix models please? The entry of Airfix into 1/35 military subjects was great news and using Academy Minicraft tooling a good way to dip a toe into the water but it would be great to see Airfix do it properly. I think the newer generation Airfix kits are superb and as good as the best available. That said many of the old items stil have a certain charm and in most cases still make good replicas of the prototype and with a bit of effort can scrub up very well. And of course there is that classic box art, wonderful! 

Airfix's forthcoming Cromwell tank (or tanks, there will be versions) are 1/35th, all new and I assume created in India.

How long it will be delayed by "The Unpleasantness" is anyone's guess.

Airfix have marketed 1/35th since the 70s, the old ex-Peerless/Max range and more recently a couple of bought in mouldings from Italeri.

jh

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Airfix seemed to prefer 1/32, in fairness it wasn't a silly idea as 1/32 was a more popular toy soldiers scale (although now toy soldiers seem to have grown to 1/30). One of my pet hates is the co-existence of different scales that are pretty much in the same size range. For example 1/30, 1/32 & 1/35, and 1/43, 1/48, 1/50 and 1/72 & 1/76.

I have very fond memories of the old Airfix 1/32 Crusader, Grant and Sdkfz 250.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I work in cloud computing, and the down side of the lockdown is that business has gone mad, any thoughts of extra modelling time have shrunk.

But the absence of new releases coming has seen me focus on some oldies, ive been remotoring Lima 31’s (and fitting a Railroad 66 motor into a Triang 31 !), as well as recovering an old SP Daylight thats had split axles since 2001.. made new axles from some plastic rod online... first time Ive run it in 19 years, alongside....

768AB0FB-46AB-49D6-9C25-33F7B1C8D54C.jpeg.2b84e848bf7fd8ed21343ac19d4aba65.jpeg

(i seem to have been breeding terriers too.. though they are all 30 odd years old).

kind of puts perspective on things...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

On 1/35 kits do you know if the next Airfix models will be true Airfix models please?

Unfortunately I know very little of how the range will progress from the Academy re-box models, and what I do know, I’m not allowed to mention!

It’s certainly an exciting time for Airfix and there are subjects that I’d love to see modelled by their development team. One thing I miss because of having to work from home in this current crisis are the discussions over a cuppa in the kitchen, regarding new projects that the Airfix designers are working on.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The Academy models were pretty good kits, the Cromwell being developed by Airfix should be excellent. There is a gap in the market for a good Crusader in 1/35, the old Italeri model (also sold by Tamiya) is past its sell by date I think. Although the Tamiya 1/48 Crusader is superb.