4mm cattle wagons

• RMweb Gold

Options are to scratch build, source Coopercraft via EBay or conversion of the BR design.  

so far I have sourced 4 of the Coopercraft kits via eBay (although two of them are missing their chassis which will need scratch building) and backdated one Airfix kit. (There was an article published on the conversion although the magazine escapes me)

It would be a very good shout for Peco (Parkside) to do, especially as the Coopercraft kit had some pretty fundamental issues in the profile of the ends / roof

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Options are to scratch build, source Coopercraft via EBay or conversion of the BR design.  

so far I have sourced 4 of the Coopercraft kits via eBay (although two of them are missing their chassis which will need scratch building) and backdated one Airfix kit. (There was an article published on the conversion although the magazine escapes me)

It would be a very good shout for Peco (Parkside) to do, especially as the Coopercraft kit had some pretty fundamental issues in the profile of the ends / roof

thanks for quick reply   looks like converting airfix ones is my only option

25 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Would the Dapol RTR ones be of any use?

• RMweb Premium

A small chance but you just might find one of the Model Wagon Company Cambrian cattle wagons for sale somewhere. It was a cast metal kit.

And David Geen had W8 and W10 GWR cattle wagons on his list but I don't know if they were ever re;leased. David has now retired.

ABS also had a W2 kit, though also no longer available.

This website is a very useful resource:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/kits4wagons.html

but an awful lot are listed as NLA.

See also the comments on RTR cattle wagons elsewhere on the site.

Jonathan

11 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

A small chance but you just might find one of the Model Wagon Company Cambrian cattle wagons for sale somewhere. It was a cast metal kit.

And David Geen had W8 and W10 GWR cattle wagons on his list but I don't know if they were ever re;leased. David has now retired.

ABS also had a W2 kit, though also no longer available.

This website is a very useful resource:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/kits4wagons.html

but an awful lot are listed as NLA.

See also the comments on RTR cattle wagons elsewhere on the site.

Jonathan

Hi jonathan 

Thanks for the information  I did see that wagon list when I stumbled  across  that website .  

I think it does come down to either converting a airfix kit or living with the inaccurate  Bachmann  model  ,  who knows if every gwr modeller badgered  peco they may end up producing  a model 

Daz

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Only if you are happy with them being over scale length.

They are also based on a BR design not GWR - basically the Dublo model, which was good in it's day....

While based on the GWR design, there are significant differences between them - mainly axleboxes, manure slots, roof profile. I've scrapped my Airfix conversions.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, darren chpamn said:

hi everyone 

being new to modeling GW  what are my options for cattle wagons obviously coopercraft kits are hard to come by

daz

Depending upon the period that you wish to model there is this option

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/shire/S109.php

Good luck with your project.

G

11 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

The W1 / 5 that Coopercraft did, but at the correct width (the kit is a bit on the narrow side) and the various prototypical brake options would be nice.

Indeed, especially if variant brake gear were to be included. Fairly simple also to offer the W8 version – new ends/roof mostly.

The Scalefour Society Stores has the range of Morgan underframes which include one for the W1/W5 cattle wagon DC2 & DC3 non-fitted or vacuum fitted plus earlier lever handle with pin/ratchet lever guides.  These are available to Scalefour members, so unless you are a member, you need to ask one to get them.  The underframes are designed for EM and P4, so how they might adapt for OO I do not know.  Price is £10.10.

Morgan underframes are idiosyncratic but excellent.  One axle is fixed, the other is sprung  and the W irons on one side slide in and out on a screw so that you do not spring the irons to get the wheelsets in.  This means you eliminate sideways slop.  The instructions  (a download) run to 75+ pages but cover the entire range.

I have made many of these underframes - there is a range available covering most varieties - and they run very well.

Morgan WN4470.jpg

• Like 1

On 18/04/2020 at 18:59, 7821 said:

ive been thinking about doing an etch for a gwr cattle wagon for a while now as there is very little available but not sure which diagram to go for

You have already had a few suggestions of what is NLA...that would be a start as far as I would be concerned!

Khris

• Like 1