Neil Parkhouse: British Railway History in Colour

rogerfarnworth

I have just finished reading the fourth book of five so far published in this series by Neil Parkhouse. I have quite a library of Railway Books and the books in this series are among the best I have, alongside a number from the same publisher, Lightmoor Press. .....

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2020/04/17/book-series-review-neil-parkhouse-british-railway-history-in-colour

• Agree 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Volume 5A 'Gloucester to Swindon and Branches, Part 1 Gloucester to Stroud' has just arrived chez Stationmaster and as usual direct from the publisher and their highly efficient mail order service.   Another suprerb volume in this excellently put together series and well wothrth the money for anybody with any interest in this area.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Excellent news. I have an order in with a most reputable railway book emporium and I have every confidence that my order will be dispatched in the very near future!

Tuesday if that's OK, 'tis in stock and very good as Mike says above.

I'm out today with T.Pott, gotta go.....

• Like 2

Just picked up volume 5A which will now be put away for Xmas.  Another brilliant addition to this series.  I have also collected the previous volumes.  I congratulate Neil Parkhouse on producing such an excellent series of books.  Well worth the price.        

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Just received Volume 5b Gloucester to Swindon and branches - Stroud to Swindon.  Another top quality publication from Neil Parkhouse and Lightmoor Press.  This volume costs more than previous volumes,  but it has 689 pages with the usual top quality photos, and captions.  

I think great value for money given the overall quality of the book.  Should take me many weeks to read it all.

No connection to the author or publisher other than a very satisfied customer. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Just received Volume 5b Gloucester to Swindon and branches - Stroud to Swindon.  Another top quality publication from Neil Parkhouse and Lightmoor Press.  This volume costs more than previous volumes,  but it has 689 pages with the usual top quality photos, and captions.  

I think great value for money given the overall quality of the book.  Should take me many weeks to read it all.

Ah, time for another 'phone call to Lightmoor by the sound of things.  Thanks for the heads up

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Ah, time for another 'phone call to Lightmoor by the sound of things.  Thanks for the heads up

No problem.  I believe you are also a big fan of this series of excellent books.  Must admit I did not expect this volume to be published for another few months.   

On 05/08/2022 at 12:46, Gopher said:

Actually the pages numbers run from 321 to 689 in THIS volume . Pages 1 to 320 are in Volume 5B Gloucester to Swindon and Branches Part 1 Gloucester to Stroud. As has been stated superb photos but I feel some of the captions are although informative include speculative thoughts by the author which are obviously just that and I find misleading and confusing. I have all the books in the series and await the next one

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, 40F said:

Actually the pages numbers run from 321 to 689 in THIS volume . Pages 1 to 320 are in Volume 5B Gloucester to Swindon and Branches Part 1 Gloucester to Stroud. As has been stated superb photos but I feel some of the captions are although informative include speculative thoughts by the author which are obviously just that and I find misleading and confusing. I have all the books in the series and await the next one

Sorry my mistake 

• RMweb Gold

My copy arrived this morning, many thanks to Simon at - https://www.titfield.co.uk/

It's a weighty, high-quality volume, absolutely packed with lovely colour photos.

One thing that I found interesting, though, is the relative paucity of colour images of the stations between Kemble and Swindon (although Minety & Ashton Keynes is well covered). If the author of this excellent series of colour books hasn't been able to track that many down, then I can only assume that such colour images simply don't exist!

Highly recommended.

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Mine also arrived this morning in what can only be described as 'bullet proof' packing - thank you Heather at Lightmoor.  Not had a chance to look through it yet but I understand from conversation with Lightmoor when I was ordering the book that as many images as could be found that were suitable for publication have been included - hence Gloucester - Swindon being split into two volumes,

So I'll be interested to see yo what extent certain of the lesser known/long gone locations have been covered when I get into the book later today.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/08/2022 at 14:51, Captain Kernow said:

My copy arrived this morning, many thanks to Simon at - https://www.titfield.co.uk/

It's a weighty, high-quality volume, absolutely packed with lovely colour photos.

One thing that I found interesting, though, is the relative paucity of colour images of the stations between Kemble and Swindon (although Minety & Ashton Keynes is well covered). If the author of this excellent series of colour books hasn't been able to track that many down, then I can only assume that such colour images simply don't exist!

Highly recommended.

Two views of Oaksey Halt  showing just about all there was to show of it!  But the one that it is really thin is Purton  with basically only one pic then together with Bremell Sidings - nothing at all but I suspect very difficult for photographers to get to.  And nothing for Swindon Loco Yard 'box - which was probably nigh on completely inaccessible without a Lineside Photographic Permit (I managed one photo of it from a passing train).  Coates/Tetbury Road station (closed 1882) also has very minimal coverage but Sapperton Sidings is very well covered although its probably unique (for the Western) Home Signal with Inner (banner) Distants might not be among the pics.   But these smaller locations never got much attention from photographers at any time in their lives so lack of of photos is not really surprising and many places have excellent detailed coverage.

Amusingly I happen to have a number of original items of internal correspondence to the Station Master at Tetbury Road.

• Like 2