RMweb's NHS Charities fundraiser - the BIG prize draw.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

As we sail steadily beyond the £3,000 mark I would particularly like to thank those donors from overseas; I'm sure you have similar pressures and calls on contributions so it's particularly appreciated that you support what's happening here.

I did so as I feel that this is a family (quite large :biggrin_mini:) that has accepted me as a distant relation so this was a way to say thank you. Note that I have never been to and probably never will get to England (the closest was 35,000 feet over the south of France in a TWA 747 headed east to NYC from Rome) as I have no passport and no real plans to get one. With the exception of Canada, all of my foreign travels/visits were in the Navy.

Edit: The Rome NYC trip was on Navy transfer orders. BTW, the 747 was far more comfortable than the C-130 Hercules I was on earlier!

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

It's a strange feeling donating to the service that I work for, but I count myself lucky to be in a 'second line' area so willingly put in for those closer to the front line.

All this talk of cakes, plus images on the work's WhatsApp group makes me want some. Nothing available except village shop cookies at present... :(

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Two (shortish) stays in hospital last year gave me greater appreciation of the pressures on NHS staff.

As AndyY knows, I'm really just an armchair Modeller and I'm assuming that in the unlikely event of winning a prize, i will not be compelled  to build a layout to match it. --- SWMBO would not be amused!

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• Moderators
Just now, Eastgate Folk said:

Andy do I have to buy a raffle ticket. I am a Muslim and my faith dosn't allow games of chance. Will it be possible to get involved by making a donation instead.

There will be other ways to donate via PayPal at the weekend not involving the prize draw.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I did so as I feel that this is a family (quite large :biggrin_mini:) that has accepted me as a distant relation so this was a way to say thank you. Note that I have never been to and probably never will get to England (the closest was 35,000 feet over the south of France in a TWA 747 headed east to NYC from Rome) as I have no passport and no real plans to get one. With the exception of Canada, all of my foreign travels/visits were in the Navy.

Edit: The Rome NYC trip was on Navy transfer orders. BTW, the 747 was far more comfortable than the C-130 Hercules I was on earlier!

I see you're not too far from Helen - I spent  a night there  in 1996 before the Atlanta Olympics! (Also via a 747)

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, PhilH said:

the first members' day in the badlands of Derby or somewhere in 2007.

And I lived to tell the tale...

That was at Mickleover Community Centre and we also arranged to have the Mickleover Model Railway Group clubrooms open. It now seems very strange not to be going there twice a week to collect the 'subs' . . . . . . . . . 

Mike

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

That was at Mickleover Community Centre and we also arranged to have the Mickleover Model Railway Group clubrooms open. It now seems very strange not to be going there twice a week to collect the 'subs' . . . . . . . . . 

Mike

And a very good day it was too.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Hi Andy,

Have we covered Phil's cake expenses yet ? 

We're not even close, assuming we're talking an annual provision.

The good news is that folk have raised over £3,600 now. When I started off with the idea I thought it'd be great if we could get to £2020 as 2020 as a year is a bit rubbish so far so I was stumped when that happened within a few hours. I knew it would settle down for a period but it would be great to keep some momentum (there are more prizes to be added) and with the other elements on your side over the weekend it would be fantastic if we could get to the five thousand mark. You wouldn't get that on Pointless Celebrities.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

You wouldn't get that on Pointless Celebrities.

Are there any other sort? ;)

Good luck with your revised “target”.

Davey

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Hi Andy,

Have we covered Phil's cake expenses yet ? 

Hang on, better check with SWMBO what they are......

Its bound to include me washing up afterwards!

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, dhjgreen said:

I clicked a few of your links before finding the button to make a donation.  Perhaps it could be a bit more prominent, in a header maybe?

Thanks David ;)

I will have a look at that, I did add a couple more buttons within this topic but maybe I need to look at direct links just to donate that aren't within the topic (but then they'd grumble I'm not telling 'em about prizes etc). However, not just wanting to look as though the fundraiser is the only part of this weekend I do want people to find the other content; particularly on Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/04/2020 at 18:02, Eastgate Folk said:

Andy do I have to buy a raffle ticket. I am a Muslim and my faith dosn't allow games of chance. Will it be possible to get involved by making a donation instead.

Thanks for asking. I follow a different faith but have a similar problem. I'll look out for the alternatives on the day

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Added my donation knowing all about the NHS through my eldest daughter. She had our second grandson way way too early, and after the experience and care she received at JR Oxford and MK actually joined up as an HCA. She was soon fast tracked into nursing and graduates this year all being well. Grandson is now 3 years old, but after coming down with the dreaded fever 2 weeks ago, mum was tested positive and has just returned to work after family isolation, all with no serious effects gladly. Well done Andy, and well done NHS....

• Friendly/supportive 10