RMweb's NHS Charities fundraiser - the BIG prize draw.

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I didn't say it was, please read my  original post correctly.

Mike.

Fair enough, you did not criticise the idea, however it seemed me that you did deride those who expressed support for it.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Er, so that's not your final answer? :P

Hmm, we're at risk of straying into the realm of the Liar's Paradox here.

No, that was not my final answer.

No is my final answer.

Thanks.

• Moderators

Hornby have been a great supporter of our event too with not only a donation but lending their marketing reach to the cause. I had chance to talk to Simon Kohler about what's been happening and some initiatives they are working on at present.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• Moderators

Interview with Heljan's Ben Jones

Our big prize in the draw is an O gauge Heljan 43xx loco which we are hugely grateful to Heljan for. I asked Ben Jones about the current situation.

AY: Thanks for supporting the event and the fundraising Ben; you obviously value the input of our health services at this time?

BJ: Happy to be involved and to help raise some money for frontline health service staff. The NHS is one of this country’s greatest achievements and most valuable assets. At one time or another we’ve all needed it, so it’s good to put something back when they need us. 

AY: How much of an impact did the initial stages of the crisis in China have upon production?

BJ: At HELJAN we were fortunate that quite a large batch of new models arrived between November and March, which meant they left China before the worst of the outbreak. We weren’t expecting any further new releases for 2-3 months after that, so deliveries haven’t been affected yet. However, despite the best efforts of the designers and engineers in China, who continued to work from home during the lockdown, it is inevitable that there will be some delays to products still in development. Disruption to factories and shipping routes will continue to have an effect on deliveries for some months.

AY: So, what is the current situation on production and what will be the first products we see coming into the UK?

BJ: Our next release should be the new OO gauge Class 33/0s with HI headlights in a few weeks - we expect to get confirmation of this shortly. After that should be the new run of O gauge unrefurbished Class 31/1s. Factories are slowly returning to normal, and we are pressing ahead as usual with the development of all our products in OO9, OO and O. 

AY: How are you are looking to support the retail network over the next few months?

BJ: Despite the lockdown restrictions in both Denmark and the UK, we remain open for business and retailers can top up their HELJAN stocks as usual. Our new partnership with Gaugemaster also opens up our products to a much larger number of model shops, even if they don’t have a direct HELJAN trade account. Any retailer with a Gaugemaster trade account can now obtain HELJAN products too. 

AY: What lessons may there be to be learnt for the industry from the situation?

BJ: Every company is different, so each will draw its own conclusions from this crisis and, hopefully, take the opportunity to reflect on their strengths and weaknesses. Retailers, manufacturers and publishers that are well organised, professional and strong should weather the crisis and some may even do well out of it. Those that are already weak may find it harder to survive. However, the last few weeks have highlighted our industry’s dependence on Chinese factories and, for retailers, the importance of providing a good quality mail order service. For the former, I don’t see any viable alternative - China has the skills and the facilities to produce the models we want at a price we can afford. On the second point, anecdotal evidence suggests that modellers have been using their newfound spare time to make progress with their modelling projects and layouts, taking advantage of mail order services to obtain what they need. 

Finally, as a magazine man, I think the crisis may accelerate the (so far) gradual switch from print to digital issues, and from newsstand sales to subscriptions, as publishers look to reduce costs and ensure their titles survive. I understand that many hobby magazines have seen significant increases in subscriptions and digital sales in recent weeks, which is extremely encouraging, although advertising revenue looks likely to be affected for some time. 

AY: What have you been able to progress with during the lockdown at home?

BJ: In recent weeks we’ve received the latest samples of our GWR diesel railcars in OO and O, L&BR ‘Lyn’, the North Eastern Railway Autocar and gas turbine 18000 for Rails of Sheffield, as well as the initial decorated bodies of the AL6-Class 86/0. We’ve also approved the CAD for our O gauge Mk2/Mk2a coaches, which look superb both inside and out. Expected very soon are the decorated samples of both the Class 86/0s and the OO gauge Class 25s. Both of the latter models have unfortunately been stuck in a logjam behind a long-delayed O gauge project, but this situation is now clearing. We know that there’s great interest in both the ’86’ and the ’25’, so we hope to make rapid progress now and get them into shops as quickly as we can. Other projects that have made progress in recent weeks are the new O gauge Class 47s and Class 117/121/122 diesel railcars and several exciting new products for O and OO that will be revealed later. 

AY: Are you getting some time for modelling on your own layout at the moment? 

BJ: For the first time in about three years I have actually been able to do some work on my own layout over the last few weeks. I’ve been finishing off the electrics and have finally started to add the first of the scenery. I’m also working to complete a double track truss bridge that will be one of the layout’s most prominent features and spent a therapeutic few hours collecting and cutting twigs to size for my HO log wagons!

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 5

Guest Locomotion No. 3
On 20/04/2020 at 13:12, AY Mod said:

Our final prize, thanks to Locomotion Models is particularly relevant. The locomotive was named 'Hertfordshire Rail Tours', the founder, John Farrow, sadly died last week after contracting Coronavirus. This model has not yet been released yet and can only be despatched once the museum is re-opened.

Locomotion 33.jpg

On behalf of the Locomotions Models team, we congratulate Andy and his colleagues on raising an outstanding amount (and hopefully one that is still growing) for a very worthwhile cause in these somewhat stange and trying circumstances. Anyone who has ever been involved in organising or helping with a raffle for their club's exhibition will know how difficult it is to do so!

Thanks also to our fellow traders and manufacturers for the support they have given, which is even more difficult with the exhibitions and clubs at a standstill, although thankfully those who provide a mail order service have managed to keep supplies moving whilst the front door to the shop is firmly bolted!.

As Andy says it was particularly fitting that we provided a model of 'Hertfordshire Rail Tours' on the day that the sad passing of John Farrow was announced. John was instrumental in  taking trains of enthusiasts around the country at weekends in addition to non enthusiasts who just enjoyed a good day out.  We did so willingly, although it was only later in the day that we became aware that John had been a victim of this dreadful disease.

For those wondering how we could donate a model that had not yet been released, they arrived just before we closed the museums at York and Shildon. They would have gone out had not the situation worsened and facilities such as ours required to close until further notice. To those who have pre-ordered we will despatch these as soon as we are able to return to work and can collect balances (if required), process the paper work and get them packed ready for transit to you.

We will then have them available for purchase, so if you don't win the one on offer here, then we will be happy to sell you one on-line or at a future exhibition such as Alexandra Palace, The Great Electric Train Show or Warley, assuming of course that Covid-19 has been well and truly beaten and we are allowed to congregate together again. To the eventual winner, please appreciate that until we reopen we cannot send it to you- but rest assured we will do so once this is possible.

Please give generously and above all stay safe and well. We look forward to seeing you all again in the future. In the meantime, enjoy what is left of the virtual event.

The Locomotion Models Team

Edited by Locomotion No. 3
Literal

6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Hornby have been a great supporter of our event too with not only a donation but lending their marketing reach to the cause. I had chance to talk to Simon Kohler about what's been happening and some initiatives they are working on at present.

Hi Andy,

May I thank you and of course all of the other Parish of RMweb organiser / contributors for this excellent event which has been put together in extraordinary times.

There have been both serious and funny posts which, to me, sum up the Annual SWAG soiree each year and highlights what can be achieved when like minded modellers are prepared to give up their time.

The interview with "Mr.Hornby" and other major manufacturers just goes to show the human side when times get difficult and it is extremely heart warming to hear and read.

The ( non ) event will undoubtedly spread amongst the model railway community and hopefully beyond showing our appreciation for what is the best of our National Health System and how much we all appreciate the lengths we are prepared to go to for them.

BRAVO !

Stay safe and healthy everyone.

G

• Like 6
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

All,

This virtual exhibition is a fantastic idea.  Needless to say, not sure there is a better cause to support, so from over here in the U.S. I send my best thoughts to all of you, my thanks to the organizers and I've gone in for some tickets.  Hopefully we'll be through this sooner rather than later.  Best wishes and stay safe!

Dave

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, AY Mod said:

A very interesting interview; thank you for posting it and thank you to Hornby and Simon for all their support with this year's event. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Very cheeky I know considering everyone's generosity over the last few days but I'd like to see if I could squeeze a tenner or so out of someone who hasn't already taken part please? You'll realise why tomorrow once I've double checked all the figures. ;)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Very cheeky I know considering everyone's generosity over the last few days but I'd like to see if I could squeeze a tenner or so out of someone who hasn't already taken part please? You'll realise why tomorrow once I've double checked all the figures. ;)

Not cheeky Andy, I am already in but....

This whole exercise has made for a very enjoyable weekend. What it has cost me is probably less than I would have spent going to a show.... so there you go, done!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

8 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

That should help i donated a few minutes ago meant to do it earlier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Ok, thank you!!

That was more than one of you but what you have done is just take the prize draw part of the fundraiser to a total just over £7,000! I'll do all the proper thank yous tomorrow but suffice to say I've been staggered by the generosity.

This is your collective finest moment on RMweb.

The funny thing is i was in a stage of donating when your previous post appeared i am glad it has helped you go over the £7000 mark for the prize draw fundraiser. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, lukgauci said:

Hello from Malta!! 

At what time will the winners of the fundrazer be announced? 

Hello Malta! And welcome to the forum. Have always held your Country on a Pedestal bearing history in mind....

@Andy Y and the team are running all of this in addition to their day jobs - its no surprise that there hasn't been much traffic from them since the event closed down yesterday, suspect they are recovering! No doubt will be along before too long - although this is a railway event, so trains may be subject to delay....;)

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2