Littfinski and LEDs

athegn

I am using RS 8 for feedback to my Lenz system.

I have just added a separate board, with three blocks,to my layout, that has got a mimic board with LEDs driven by MERG modules. I intend to change the occupation detection from MERG to RS 8. However It would be very useful to retain the mimic board. How can I drive the three LEDs from the RS 8?

Any advice please?

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The RS-8 isn't really intended for driving LEDs. It is commonly used to report occupancy to a computer control system over the RS data bus.

If you want to use RS-8's perhaps you might consider using an old PC or laptop for the mimic display. There are plenty of software options available, some such as JMRI are free and may do what you want.

Thank you. Was hoping to find a way to still run LEDs as as supplement t to the pc I am already using. When running manually it is difficult to see pc screen from that position; also tracks are in tunnel.

Am looking to revert PMP7; already using 4 of these, for one mini display panel, to drive a Littfinski RS-16. May try to create a PMP 7 using ML339 and TLP521-4 to have one board to drive 4 RS-16 ports; retire RS-8 for these tracks. 8 tracks in total detected by PMP 7 technology

Main drawback is my very limited skill in circuit design!!

Edited by athegn
Additional information

You could use the detection to trigger (via rule on your PC) an accessory module, the accessory module could drive your led indicators.

Detection modules are effectively inputs to the computer and Accessory modules are effectively outputs from the computer.

You can do what ever you want with them.. Input can be either train detection or switches and outputs can be changes of points or lights/signals or indicator led's on your mimic panel

• 1 month later...