Wire in tube points - blocked tube

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, hope you are keeping safe and well.

I’m in the process of restoring my OO gauge layout “Rectory Lane”. The track is generally in good condition with the exception of one point which was not working.

I have put a new tie bar on and the point works freely now. This afternoon I went to run some new wire down the tube that controls the point - the wire gets 2/3 or 1/3 the way through the tube depending on which end I start at, then gets stuck!

Does anyone have any suggestions please  how I could unblock the tube (I’ve tried slightly bigger wire and that get stuck too). I really don’t want to have to do a new run of tube as it goes through some scenery that I’d like to keep if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any ideas - stay safe, well and happy.

Is the end of the wire smooth? if it has been cut with cutters then you will need to smooth it off with wet and dry or similar. Aim for a tiny domed end if possible and test the smoothness on the back of you hand. Then apply a little grease to the end and try to work it past the blockage. If that fails then the tube must be kinked or broken and excavation/replacement will be the best option. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you both, I wasn’t lubricating the wire and I will file the end to to see if that makes a difference.

Really appreciate your ideas, will report back!