MODEL Railways in Film and Television

Ben B

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Or following a link from the above review, possibly this (the only reference to trains in this text is  "Like the trains that Victor Preece played with, the story needed a quicker tempo to help unsettle the viewer.")

https://morseandlewisandendeavour.com/2015/03/17/sins-of-the-father/

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Of course there is the Two Ronnies sketch - The Little Trains of Wales - featuring Dick Wyatt's Dovey Valley Railway.

A layout I was lucky to operate several times in the late 1970s/early 1980s.

Edited by adrianmc
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Wasn’t there a London Underground layout on an episode of Sherlock? It was also representing a model railway rather than a special effect.

I deduce, by studying the evidence of this post 

on the previous page of this very thread, that yes, there was - elementary my dear Watson.

Although it would have been nice for you to have READ the first page to see if anyone had mentioned it? - this time I've used proper invisible ink.

Jon

26 minutes ago, jonhall said:

I deduce, by studying the evidence of this post 

on the previous page of this very thread, that yes, there was - elementary my dear Watson.

Although it would have been nice for you to have READ the first page to see if anyone had mentioned it? - this time I've used proper invisible ink.

Jon

Oh no, missed that one. I still can’t remember what episode it was though. It involved a lot of detail about real and fictional Tube history.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Oh no, missed that one. I still can’t remember what episode it was though. It involved a lot of detail about real and fictional Tube history.

I learnt that Baker Street tube station had yellow doors, because it was a lemon entry.

Mike.

Hat, co,, etc.

• Funny 5

12 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

And that Mark Gattiss had watched "V for Vendetta" before writing his script...

22 hours ago, steve1 said:

I'm sure I remember a railway modeller being the murderer in an episode of Morse. Or am I confusing it with some other show?

steve

In the Morse episode ‘Sins of the fathers’ the character Victor Preece has a model railway.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

There were a number of comedy films in the 1950s & 60s  where the crooks used a model railway to plan their caper. "Rotten To The Core" is certainly one of them.  There are others but I can't recall them right now.

10 minutes ago, Andy Reichert said:

The opening alpine station scene from "The Lady Vanishes" looks like a model to me. (Hitchcock 1938)

Andy

You're absolutely right Andy and the model theme continues further on I think with some, possibly Basset-Lowke, O gauge items.  Kind regards Paul

4 hours ago, 2mmMark said:

There were a number of comedy films in the 1950s & 60s  where the crooks used a model railway to plan their caper. "Rotten To The Core" is certainly one of them.  There are others but I can't recall them right now.

The large model in Goldfinger seems to have trains on it. It even has little model cars as one of the gangsters is seen playing with them.  :senile:

spacer.png

Jason

• Like 1

"The excellent 80's BBC tv series "Edge of Darkness" about nuclear skulduggery features of course the home-made class 31; a bit of full-size kitbashing with a wooden body built over three diesel shunters at the Middleton Railway because apparently BR wouldn't co-operate.  But the scenes in the secret underground nuclear reactor in the mountains were done using miniatures, and rear-projection for a view through the window of an underground office. "

Sorry to come back to this a bit late but I was otherwise detained by thhe NHS for a month or two. :-)    But to pick up on a point in the first post in the thread - it wasn't rear projection in the underground office,  but front axial projection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_projection_effect

This gives better quality and requires a lot less set space that is required by back projection equipment.   The projected material was shot on 35mm on a Mitchell camera and projected on a projector with a register pin gate to give stability.    It all worked well considering we were advised that it was normally only attempted on a film stage,  and not in a slate mine in North Wales. :-)

Sorry for the bit of drift. :-)

Jim.

Edited by flubrush
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Sort of model related , the animated nuclear holocaust film when the wind blows featured a triang Hornby 37 getting blown off a bridge I think and seem to remember some Hornby sierras 

2 hours ago, russ p said:

Sort of model related , the animated nuclear holocaust film when the wind blows featured a triang Hornby 37 getting blown off a bridge I think and seem to remember some Hornby sierras 

Best thing to do with them.

steve

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Lantavian said:

Just watched it.

Yup, looked like an S scale on 16.5mm track model of New Zealand railways (which are 3'6" gauge). V nice. 

Unfortunately, I don't think the episode, enjoyable as it was, did the hobby any good.

The victim, a miserable git, owned the model railway shop: he was 60 years old, racist and homophobic.

One other main character was his employee: a man in his 20s who lived with his overbearing mother, and was very angry because he couldn't get a girlfriend.

Sadly, such stereotypes about the hobby are still prevalent in the mass media, despite the efforts of programmes like TGMRC. :(

steve

Edited by steve1