MODEL Railways in Film and Television

Ben B

A couple of items to mention.  Saturday saw the Ealing film 'Barnacle Bill' with Alec Guiness buying a run down seaside pier - complete with miniature steam train running along it. And then on Sunday, John Betjeman taking a green DMU (Cravens?) from Kings Lynn to Hunstanton.  An enjoyable B&W shortie with the last shots showing the pier at Hunstanton - which was the one used in the Alec Guiness film!  Before this I didn't know Hunstanton  (Hunston to locals) even had a pier!  It fell down c.1970 I think.  Not surprising looking at the state of it in the film.

The Sunday evening, Mcdonald and Dodds with the Box Hill layout mentioned in a separate thread.  All in all quite an exciting weekend.

It doesn't take much these days.......................:senile:

Edited by 5050
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/162944-mcdonald-dodds/

Link to the seperate thread about the bespoke McDonald and Dodds layout.  It was quite an impressive layout, more so that something was built specially for the episode rather than just having a generic Hornby/Bachmann shop-type demo layout used.  The builder seems to have been a railway modeller, even incorporating the Bus On A Bridge cliché :)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Did anyone else try Snowpiercer either the film or the TV series? We tried the TV series for about 2 or 3 episodes until a distasteful scene. Features a 1000 car train endlessly (non-stop for 3 years?) travelling a frozen world. In the episodes that we watched, they managed to avoid problems like re-fuelling (Nuclear power?) or keeping the track clear of snow. Suspect more CGI than models.

image.png.9303f8aa9c6b6ebb03d2374fc825f461.png

I watched the Snowpiercer movie. Standard wet thursday evening garbage with a fairly disappointing ending. I tend not to watch TV series at the best of times and seeing the movie first has mad sure I'll never watch the series. 

Graeme

Two model railway incidents to report today.  Yesterday morning on Talking Pictures was shown 'Runaway Railway' a 1965 B&W childrens film about a mail train robbery.  Filmed on the Longmor Military Railway it starred Ronnie Barker along with other 'stars' of the period including Jon Pertwee and Graham Stark.  Plot wise it was the usual stuff, ludicrous train chases, OTT characters etc. - but it did feature a model railway/train set where the 'plotters' used some Triang  (standard track, West Country (I think) loco only, Jinty and bogie parcel van) to plan the robbery.  The main film loco was an Austerity saddle tank with some additional fittings by the producers including some outside 'cylinders' at a weird angle - and no connecting rods!  A strange chimney extension and something on top of the dome - and some very heavy lining and large 'Matilda' nameplates.  The 'mail van' was an ordinary box van - with an end door and ladder - and a 'mail pickup apparatus'!  Best part was seeing the Austerity 2-10-0 'Gordon' in full flight as the express engine. Available on YouTube I believe.

This morning i caught a few early minutes of 'The Red Baron' which featured some 'posh' WW1 German pilots around a breakfast table with a 3-rail O Gauge train set delivering boiled eggs in hopper wagons.  TBH, to me, the loco looked to modern but I'm probably quite wrong!

BTW, don't confuse 'Runaway Railway' with 'Runaway Train' - there is no comparison whatsoever.

8 hours ago, 5050 said:

Two model railway incidents to report today.  Yesterday morning on Talking Pictures was shown 'Runaway Railway' a 1965 B&W childrens film about a mail train robbery.  Filmed on the Longmor Military Railway it starred Ronnie Barker along with other 'stars' of the period including Jon Pertwee and Graham Stark.  Plot wise it was the usual stuff, ludicrous train chases, OTT characters etc. - but it did feature a model railway/train set where the 'plotters' used some Triang  (standard track, West Country (I think) loco only, Jinty and bogie parcel van) to plan the robbery.  The main film loco was an Austerity saddle tank with some additional fittings by the producers including some outside 'cylinders' at a weird angle - and no connecting rods!  A strange chimney extension and something on top of the dome - and some very heavy lining and large 'Matilda' nameplates.  The 'mail van' was an ordinary box van - with an end door and ladder - and a 'mail pickup apparatus'!  Best part was seeing the Austerity 2-10-0 'Gordon' in full flight as the express engine. Available on YouTube I believe.

This morning i caught a few early minutes of 'The Red Baron' which featured some 'posh' WW1 German pilots around a breakfast table with a 3-rail O Gauge train set delivering boiled eggs in hopper wagons.  TBH, to me, the loco looked to modern but I'm probably quite wrong!

BTW, don't confuse 'Runaway Railway' with 'Runaway Train' - there is no comparison whatsoever.

I have fond memories of "Runaway Railway", when Channel 4 did a railway-themed series of progs when I was little ('Going Loco') I caught it then as a little kid- it got taped over, but we had the first five minutes on an old VCR for many years.  Had a soft-spot for the ludicrously-modified "Matilda" ever since, and have been toying with modifying my old Hornby Austerity into it.

Film-wise, it's pretty much a dry-run for the later St.Trinians isn't it, with a train chase on the LMR with multiple trains in the same block section :)

• Agree 1

• 11 months later...

From an email sent to me dated 10 Mar, not much notice!:

Hello. The Museum of Bath at Work has a model railway layout that was made by ITV for an episode of the series McDonald and Dodds. It’s a (not very accurate) representation of Bath, including Box tunnel.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=185116509777089

https://www.bath-at-work.org.uk/all-aboard-train-set-prop-from-mcdonald-and-dodds-itv-show-donated-to-museum/

Unfortunately the museum no longer has room to display it and they are keen to give it away to a good home. It needs to be moved by the end of next week if anyone is interested in all or part of it.

If anyone is interested or needs more information please contact the Museum director Stuart Burroughs mobaw@hotmail.com

Mary Kelly

• 10 months later...

One from last weekend, though an oldy. Inspired by them getting into the new series of "Wednesday", we had the kids watch the 1990's version of the "Adams Family". Lovely bit of railroad modelling, and a nicely dramatic crash from Gomez ;)

Oddly enough, looking at some clips from the black and white series, it seems to be the same crash every time?

7 hours ago, Ben B said:

One from last weekend, though an oldy. Inspired by them getting into the new series of "Wednesday", we had the kids watch the 1990's version of the "Adams Family". Lovely bit of railroad modelling, and a nicely dramatic crash from Gomez ;)

Oddly enough, looking at some clips from the black and white series, it seems to be the same crash every time?

Discussed right at the start of this Thread. It was the same crash every time. 😉

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The 1960s BBC Rupert Davies 'Maigret' series has an episode entitled 'Unscheduled Departure' in which a railway modeller claims that his wife is trying to kill him, which is obviously ridiculous as no railway modeller's wife has ever wanted to arrgh <thud>.

• Like 3
  • Funny 10

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
12 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Here's one I've just remembered. Or rather, two.

Looks like Gerry Anderson may have been "inspired by" Thunderbolt too. Don't tell SK or he'll wheel out the Caley single again with some avocados on bolster wagons.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Looks like Gerry Anderson may have been "inspired by" Thunderbolt too. Don't tell SK or he'll wheel out the Caley single again with some avocados on bolster wagons.

"Inspired by something for which we don't hold the licence."

Edited by papagolfjuliet
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

44 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

I'm somewhat curious as to how Lady Penelope's Rolls managed to reverse up that incline in a foot of scale snow.

British made rear wheel drive car! Not one of the modern fwd eurobox/asiabox/whateverbox rubbish things......

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, papagolfjuliet said:

I'm somewhat curious as to how Lady Penelope's Rolls managed to reverse up that incline in a foot of scale snow.

37 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

British made rear wheel drive car! Not one of the modern fwd eurobox/asiabox/whateverbox rubbish things......

Come on, it's British made, it will have towed up by a tractor after it broke down.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Fairly sure that neither my dad's Scimitar nor my granddad's Gilbern Invader Mk.III could have managed that hill. Forwards. In a drought.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, papagolfjuliet said:

And not grounded on that sharp angle at the top…

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2