7mm scale weatherboarding

billtee

I am constructing a grain store (the real building is not far from my home!), and I will need a couple of A4 sheets (or thereabouts) of weatherboarding to copy the cladding of a major part of the building.

I have considered Plasticard, but I have not found anything like the real thing on the company’s website.

Can anyone recommend a manufacturer of (probably plastic) moulded weatherboarding in our scale? I could try making the weatherboarding, of course, but I do not have any wood stripping or thin plastic sheeting from which I could cutI the ‘planks’, and so I am stuck!

I am not wanting 1/48 or 1/45 scale products - they are not British O gauge or British 1/43 scale, and would look wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I cannot get ‘out’ due to the Covid-19 ‘lockdown’, and virtually all model suppliers are closed, understandably. Surely a manufacturer makes such a product!

Thank you,

Bill (GOG #22932)

Don't reject 1/48 or 1/45 products out of hand. Depending on what plank size they are representing, and what was used on the actual building you're modelling, they could be closer than a genuine 1/43.5 scale product. I don't imagine this type of construction was totally standardized.

Gordon

• RMweb Premium

Bill,

Do you have a photo of the actual building? Is the weatherboarding in vertical or horizontal planks?

Dava

I have just discovered KJB Models, who are importers of Evergreen Plastics products, and they have ‘clapboard siding’ (weatherboarding to you and me) in many different sizes, so I have placed an order for their 0.100” size (‘groove’ spacing) which will be about right, hopefully.

Anyway, we will soon find out!

The construction of the grain store was rather ‘hit and miss’, I think. The actual building is now in very run-down condition, with pigeons flying in and out of the grain elevator tower (which has many missing weatherboard planks). Most of the rest of the building, sides and roofing, is corrugated asbestos sheeting, and I have some one-sided corrugated cardboard of just the right pitch. The building is going to be demolished soon, so I have taken lots of photographs. It is a very ‘interesting’ building, as the farmer just kept adding extensions as required, so the roofing has angles in every direction, and the whole structure is just crying out to be modelled in its entirety. Unfortunately, I have room for only the ‘front’ part to give me a low-relief structure, but it will still make an interesting background, even though in real life there never has been a railway nearby.

Thank you,

Bill

Good afternoon,

Have you thought of using card to create the boarding?  I have a couple of small structures to build and think that card is the way to go.  I use 'knotting' to seal and harden the card.

This allows the re-use of most packaging card.  Some of which is of very high quality.

Could you share some pictures of the building, these are always of interest

Thanks

Here is the actual grain store - I have almost finished the carcass and have begun the cladding.

The brick section won’t project anywhere near as the real building, due to space restrictions, and the big metal barn to the left of the brick part is not being modelled. My model is just a shallow-depth depiction, but I am trying to reproduce it as accurately as possible.

Bill

FCAA8F59-ED9A-4E49-A475-CEE31B59719C.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The end of the model building is as close to the real thing as I can make it!

It is a shame that the brick section of the grain store has had to be shortened so much, but needs must!

Now I am awaiting my corrugated iron sheeting which is coming from Greece. I can’t really progress any further until the sheets arrive, as all the other cladding materials will overlay the corrugated iron.

Bill

I thought you might like to see my model of the grain store at Colchester Green, Cockfield.

The model isn’t quite finished yet as I am awaiting a delivery of 3mm diameter brass tube which I will grind to a half-tube in order to make guttering (why doesn’t Evergreen or Plastruc produce a convincing extrusion of guttering?) and downpipes.

The model can then be placed on my layout, filling an awkward vacant area of baseboard.

Bill

207FA056-52D9-423F-A267-52CD47A359E5.jpeg

• Like 1

If you zoom into my photo of my grain store, you will see the (very rough) planking which the farmer put on the ‘inside’ face of the wooden tower. I had wondered about how to reproduce the rough planking adequately. I finished up cutting wooden coffee stirrers (from our favourite coffee shop) which gave me exactly the required widths of planks which matched the width of the Evergreen weatherboarding sheets.

All the planks were then painted in the typically greyish shade old timber becomes, then each plank cut and glued to the underlying foamboard. I have tried to reproduce the broken and missing planks as closely as possible, but I cannot for the life of me model the pigeons which fly in and out of the tower.

Here is a close-up of that end of the grain store.

It is a shame that I had to ‘abbreviate’ the brick section of the grain store (which used to be the farmer’s storage building for his harvesting machinery). I would have enjoyed making that, and the derelict lean-to right at the end!

Bill

61CF244E-E593-4F9E-A101-68665A6314AE.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3