Newbies area

• RMweb Gold

it's occurred to me (oo er missis) that it might be an idea to have specific topic for the use of Newbies.  Newbies come on to the forum in a steady stream and tend to ask questions that the previous newbies have already asked and it might be easier for them if there was one specific place to go to that might answer their question before they even ask it, if that makes sense.  

There ae plenty of magazine articles of the 'how to build a layout' sort, but I'm thinking more about advice regarding periods or locations, realistic track plans, how to fit layout ideas into restricted spaces, maybe basic signalling, how to clean and lubricate a loco, how to measure and adjust back to backs, how to replace wheelsets, basic detailing and improving of RTR, that sort of thing, any sort of question, really.  Any takers?

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

What you are talking about is an FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) section.

If it was on the Home page then some members might look for answers there but I suspect many would still ask their question in other forums anyway. So some questions would still have to be answered individually but at least it would be possible to refer people to the FAQ.

• RMweb Gold

If a new modeller puts all his questions into an area for new modellers, would there be any sensible advice there from modellers who knew the right answers? Would there be enough experienced modellers available and ready to impart their knowledge every time a new modeller came along?

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

If a new modeller puts all his questions into an area for new modellers, would there be any sensible advice there from modellers who knew the right answers? Would there be enough experienced modellers available and ready to impart their knowledge every time a new modeller came along?

But surely, that's no different to the current situation, where the experienced modellers

only find things by chance, because the new modeller doesn't know where to post things?

• RMweb Gold

I don't think you can, or should, stop people posting questions wherever they think is appropriate - even though posting in the "wrong" place can be a bit annoying sometimes. But you can: (a.) provide an obvious place for them to check if their question has already been asked and answered, i.e. an FAQ, and (b.) help them to find the right place to post questions. That guidance could also be in the FAQ, in fact...

BTW: I'm not sure about dividing folks up into newbies and non-newbies. We're all newbies in some area or other even if we're experienced in general!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Playing devil’s advocate

When I first joined the thing that got to me as a newbie was when I asked a question instead of someone simply answering the question or pointing me in the right direction I had lots of replies telling me the subject had already been covered or “do a search”

We’ve all got to start somewhere and when you’re new to the site it can be daunting not knowing where everything is

Getting responses like “do a search” or “this has already been covered” can be quite intimidating to new members

So as frustrating as it may be to experienced modellers if you know the answer to someone’s question, just be helpful and answer it or post a link, they will appreciate it and respect you for it

No question is a stupid question if you don’t know the answer

• Like 3
  • Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

From what I see there are 2 distinct types of 'Newbie' (a horrible word in my opinion), on this site.

Those new to the hobby and those new to RMweb. These 2 groups have totally different needs.

However, before anyone goes jumping in asking questions, they should be looking around at the site, getting a feel for the layout. RMweb has lots of different groupings, which mostly are self-explanatory.

The search facility is not great, it takes a bit of work to find relevant stuff, so it's not very fair to tell newcomers to 'do a search', IMO. Newcomers are easily identified by their numbers of posts. So it's much more polite to point them in the right direction, for their question.

Agreed it does get annoying when the same question is asked, on occasion it appears on the top page of a section, as an almost identical question! 

Often an initial post asks for some help, perhaps assistance in designing a track plan. A gentle prod is usually required as they've forgotten to mention important things like available space, scale or prototype interests.

I don't believe a specific section is required for newcomers, it can work well within the present framework. Just a bit of patience from all.

An example of what is needed appears here 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/72-uk-prototype-questions/

So the work has already been done by Andy York and the rest of the moderators.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/04/2020 at 17:45, Mick Bonwick said:

I tend to agree. A lot of existing members would just click on 'Ignore this topic'. The last thing you want, whereas at present they might ignore it, AFTER they've read the post.

• RMweb Gold

I don't like the word 'Newbie' either, it smacks of condescension, but couldn't think of an alternative that got my meaning across better.   It's just that the same questions arise repeatedly, and if there was a single place we could direct them to, where our collective wisdom (whatever that's worth; I'd say a lot speaking for the collective, but not much for myself) was available as a reference.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Lantavian said:

Forums are odd. You can learn a lot from them by asking and responding and sharing, and it's that "live" element that makes them more fun than books or magazines.

But they are not very good as repositories of information as that information is raw, unstructured and embedded in conversations. Reading a five-year-old thread is not a very efficient way of finding stuff out.

The same questions do arise repeatedly, but unless someone wants to write a FAQ section which edits and distills that information I don't see a solution. Even so, things aren't static. The answers would have to be updated. And that takes work and effort.

So I'd say leave things as they are. Let people ask questions. Some of the queries will be grindingly boring for more experienced members of the forum. But one great thing about forums is that you don't have to answer the questions. You can ignore them.

Totally disagree. We are usually dealing with facts on this forum. Learning to search for those facts would be a better way of spending time than looking through pages of questions and answers aimed at "newbies".

If you take a common question which I've seen dozens of times. "What colour was Flying Scotsman as my brand new Hornby one is a different colour than the one I saw yesterday?" "Also what are those things on the front as when I saw it in 1980 it didn't have them?", Then the facts are easily found if people look. Usually people help by pointing them in the right direction. But getting asked the same questions constantly does irk a bit.

Having a dozen threads with the same questions and answers is a waste of time and more importantly space. It also means it's difficult to find important information when you need it.

Still relating to Flying Scotsman. Someone asked a valid question the other day and I knew that the information is on the site, but couldn't find it. Which was a table which had a list of all the A3s with double chimneys and German smoke deflectors, also with a list of the boilers and loads of photographs. Realised later that it must have been on the "old" site. Which sort of proves the usefulness of old threads. One now lost to history.

Jason

Hey, on a post count basis I am probably a newbie, but I am well on the way to being a grumpy curmudgeon as well. so I would want access to everywhere- there are large areas of the site that don't particularly interest me, but how can anyone else decide for me what they are?

In any case, it is often by looking at stuff that you were not that interested in that you discover new things to be interested in- that's one of the strengths of this place.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When it comes to assistance, we all have something to give, and yet there will always be something for us to learn.

It is those unusual and sometimes hitherto unanswered questions which will crop up during our modelling enterprises that can pique the interest of many and, when answered positively, contribute to the camaraderie of the forum. OTOH, queries of a, dare I say it, more obvious nature to some, should not be immediately dismissed as irrelevant; an intelligent response will always be well received.

Tracking down an online solution, whether generally by Search Engine (pun intended) or the RMWeb, can seem a laborious and time consuming exercise; the temptation to just ask without looking will always be there - I know, I have myself been guilty. A concise, easily navigated index to all our queries would be very nice indeed, but hey we already have one - the membership!

Whenever I can offer useful advice, some might consider it comes from a seasoned veteran. However, when I'm the one seeking help regarding a particular issue then I'm unashamedly in the same boat as those new to the hobby.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lantavian said:

It is possible to be both.

You might be a grumpy curmudgeon on the history of a certain railway, say, but a complete newbie on DCC.

Absolutely agree; and that is what makes it so difficult to decide what should be in a Newbies area.