1930s passenger car liveries?

The 30s were very colourful (the second half of it anyway) like blue B&O, grey NYC... And there was some stainless steel. Kalmbach issued a guide to colors used on Pullman cars from 33-69 by Arthur Dubin. Do you have a specific question on a color/road?

Regards

Fred

• RMweb Gold

It would almost be the case that few Class 1s with a worthwhile passenger service didn't make a show of their premium trains in that era. While many restricted their colours to the diesel locos, with stainless steel for the cars, UP yellow, Illinois Central green on their Green Diamond, Milwaukee's grey, orange and maroon, GM&O red and cream Rebel, MOPAC's blue and cream and SP's red and orange Daylights are just a few of the colourful liveries on offer. 

My cut off point is the end of 1940 . All my diesels (well the three I have) are switchers and were painted in black (IC 9007, EJ&E 401 and EJ&E 213). I have Pennsylvania, Illinois Central, and Erie stock, But I was wondering whether any of the lines coming into Chicago had different coloured cars.

I don't think I will be scratch building the Green Diamond (!) and the City of Miami is just too late (December 40). 

The B&O Capitol Limited, and the NYC Mercury are possibles, as is the UP 49er although like everything it is a matter of sourcing the rolling stock (HO)

I think for Chicago you can have (amongst others) the NYC 20th Century Ltd, the B&O Capitol Ltd, the Chicago & North Western 400, the Alton Ltd, the PRR Broadway Ltd, the ATSF California Ltd and the Chief and the Milwaukee road Hiawatha. For all of these you can find pictures of H0 (and other gauges)  models in chapter 7 of my e-book on Luxury trains (free to read or download):  http://sncf231e.nl/non-ciwl-luxury-trainssmall/

Regards

Fred

• Like 1