RhB stock diagrams

carlw

Hi all,

Can anyone point me in the direction of any stock diagrams please?   I have a 3D printer and would like to see if I can draw up some items to print at home.

At this point I’m happy to have a go at anything (coaches, wagons or containers)

Cheers

Carl

• RMweb Gold

There’s the ‘schweers wall fahrzeuge’ books that go for rather a lot, and there are dvd versions that appear on eBay.de fairly regularly for a more reasonable price. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192024569184
For coaches and locos the Claude Jeanmarie drawings are more accurate, the S&W ones contain a few errors with windows, again these books turn up secondhand. 
I have the locos and railcars Jeanmarie books if you’re after anything specific covered by those. 
For photo reference to support drawings of current stock Ruedi Haribu’s site is fantastic http://www.haribu.ch

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Paul,

Thanks for that information.

Those books do look very expensive.

The other option I could take to draw them in CAD is using photos that are taken roughly 90 degrees to them.  But then i need to know the one of the  dimensions.  I.e length, width or height the software can then scale that pic to the correct size.

I did find some photos end on the site you suggested above.  Any suggestions for the dimenstions would be helpful.

Cheers

Carl

Edited by carlw

• RMweb Gold

What stock are you interested in and I’ll have a dig through as I have a few on the backup drive hopefully. 

Yes the books go for silly money often but the DVD’s are around £22-25 and seem to be current. 

9 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I’ve found the main site

https://www.buch-auf-dvd.de/?mobile=0

and here’s a sample page

https://www.buch-auf-dvd.de/pdf/911-leseprobe.pdf

Paul,

Those drawing/pictures are perfect.  But looking through all of the sample pages on the website I don’t see any dimensions.  Am I missing them?

i don’t have anything particular in mind,  but I do have the ability to draw and 3D print most things. 

If you look in my post footers you will see I have a Layout called Loch Lorn.  I’m thinking about turning it into a RhB layout but before I make that step I would like to be able to actually draw some of the stock so that I don’t have to rely on Kato or the over priced Shapeways.  To give you an idea why I say Shapeways is overpriced is that I can currently print a BR MK1 coach for about £3 costs on Shapeways that would be £20 ish.

to give you an idea of what I’m able to do please see the attached photo of a EPB unit I have draw and printed.

4F207466-1952-488B-9472-76B807D816D8.jpeg.00c22141c0d6b1bb1ce17f9c60c40b28.jpeg

Cheers

Carl

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The dimensions are basic and in the charts which aren’t included in all the samples ;)

‘lange uber puffer‘ is length over buffers. 

I have a couple of the DVD’s so I can look some up if the old laptop will cooperate. Pm me your email with an idea of which stock your considering or do you want a hint on the common stuff?

@MrTea @Glorious NSE and a few others may be interested and help with ideas if it’s Nm Kato stuff you’re thinking of ;) 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Pirata have announce the ubiquitous four wheel van but it’s a good place to start ;)

Off the top of my head the most common wagons and coaches needed would be,

Container wagons 4wheel and bogie well wagon. 
Flat wagons with A frame roll off containers. 
Bogie tank cars. 
Classic 4 wheel van. 

Coaches not done. 
EWII (2) 
Pullmans

Driving trailers the 17xx short ones and the Engadine low floor ones. 
Short bogie baggage vans. 

• RMweb Premium

The interesting feature of the DVD's is that if you print the line drawing 100% from the PDF, it comes out at 1/87 scale. In theory, just adjust the percentage print for the appropriate scale and you can dimension from the drawing. Attached is a sample Be 511 to 514.pdf

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Laptop not playing ball! I will try to do some later in the week as I need to resort the drivers for the dvd drive by getting a friend to talk me through it as I can’t justify a visit under this lockdown. 

Have you seen my mini layout with snow and the modules?

• RMweb Gold

I’ve mailed you some station plans and pm’d you a few pics too. 

I forgot to say in the email that many stations have been rebuilt in the last ten years to replace the old boarded crossings with subways. Allegedly because the influx of tourists struggled with looking before crossing! The plans in the book are pre rebuilds so you’ll find most mid and large stations have changed and now have island platforms ;)

• RMweb Gold
On 22/04/2020 at 12:27, PaulRhB said:

Yes they are :) I ordered from them last week and it shipped yesterday. 

Thanks Paul, oh dear, there goes my bank balance in a downward direction :blink:, but it's my birthday Monday so I may have to treat myself :P.

Simon

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Just be aware the drawings should be checked against photos as there are a few errors, especially on the coaches. Nothing huge but some windows are spaced wrong so look a bit odd on a model ;) 

Good basic dimensions though and these PDF’s come with good photo references not in the books. 

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Just be aware the drawings should be checked against photos as there are a few errors, especially on the coaches. Nothing huge but some windows are spaced wrong so look a bit odd on a model ;) 

Good basic dimensions though and these PDF’s come with good photo references not in the books. 

Thanks for the heads up. I will hopefully be trying to create DFX files of the departmental vehicles for my 3d printer. I might release the DFX files so that people can check and amend (bit like open source). Don't hold your breath though as I am still working.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Any 3D images posted can be checked and can be shared with the experts on the RhB fora too ;) 

Carl is also investigating 3D as is another group in Germany who are talking to a Japanese chap who’s done some to see if batches arrived possible, even tooling up for injection moulding. 
http://tombi.fshiba.com/?eid=176

They were concerned about numbers so I suggested talking to Pirata who do limited production RhB batches. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/04/2020 at 13:40, PaulRhB said:

The dimensions are basic and in the charts which aren’t included in all the samples ;)

‘lange uber puffer‘ is length over buffers. 

I have a couple of the DVD’s so I can look some up if the old laptop will cooperate. Pm me your email with an idea of which stock your considering or do you want a hint on the common stuff?

@MrTea @Glorious NSE and a few others may be interested and help with ideas if it’s Nm Kato stuff you’re thinking of ;) 

Sorry - not been on here for a while, not a site I remember to check from home!

Carl - I have a fair number of dimensioned "general arrangement" diagrams culled from dark corners of t'internet - if you PM me with your email address and some idea's of what you're into i'll send some over.