Portmahomack summer 1978

I've been thinking about a micro layout based around the lovely Peco Highland signalbox. A few years ago I started a layout based on Portmahomack using foam core board for the baseboard and got to the ballasting stage when I accidentally lent on one end and it snapped! However, I've still got the Scalescenes station signs.

port2.jpg.8d4bdcf93ce43af3ff1c6091ccc93e75.jpg

A good rummage around in the shed produced enough plywood and softwood to make a 900 x 300 mm board, all held together with PVA and a few pins. The fiddleyard will be a plywood box. 

port1.jpg.a415aadc0ec2c6437c95feea2856a186.jpg

A Heljan class 26 and a Dapol class 122 will do the honours. The 122 has the GG symbol and was transfered to Inverness in May 1978, hence the summer 1978 timeframe.

port3.jpg.709fdf960438409f59a466aadbfdb62c.jpg

All the best

Max

• Like 8

The imaginary line to Portmahomack would have run from a junction just south of Tain with a halt and a couple of RAF sidings at Balnagall, and a halt at Inver. The station at Portmahomack would be roughly where the caravan site is situated. The DMU runs four or five return journeys each day (except Sundays) and a branch freight runs three times a week.

Shame your foamboard snapped @Max Legroom.
It's a material I have used quite a few times, to create several small & micro layouts
These days, and with advancing years in mind - I really do favour using the material.
I like working with it, I find it very quick to build baseboards with.... and it's incredibly lightweight.

The trick is (IMHO) to build a decent wooden sub-frame, and do so at the earliest opportunity.
This will protect the foamboard, and give you a decent base to start with....
The wooden frame needn't be huge timber pieces. Battening has sufficed for the layouts I've built
Just don't get any superglue on the foam material.... it melts!
You can use superglue once you've got ground covering on; Mod Roc, plaster and PVA - these all "seal" the foam

The Highland Signal box looks a decent model
Have you a plan you can share with us yet?
Best of luck with it

PS. I don't know how far you had progressed with the layout - but you can always glue the pieces of foam together, mounting directly onto a subframe

• Agree 1

Hi Marc

In general I found the foam core good to work with and would use it again. I like your suggestion of a wooden subframe. In this case I’m trying to use up stuff I’ve got lying around so 6mm ply should do the job. 

Track will be Peco code 75 and I think I’ve just about got enough! 

Cheers

Max

• Like 1

Here is a quick update illustrating the track plan. Fiddleyard to the left beyond a road overbridge and platform at the back. The goods yard and platform will be completely separate. Peco Locolifts will be used in the fiddleyard.

port4.jpg.afe47769c1ad152ae5c3169d188f2816.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

The track is in place and wired up for dc. I've used cork tiles as a track base.

port5.jpg.64c74dbc2b74e4bc267b68c52a7c6c21.jpg

Next task is to paint a backscene of ocean, sky and distant mountains which isn't that simple as I only have limited paint and even more limited painting skill!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple of photos showing progress so far.

port7.jpg.81eb4d08f33bd2f61664d86e4c833405.jpgport8.jpg.e562429ea036f583e7d2d146e41f5499.jpg

The station is a smaller version of Wick/Thurso made out of Wills sheets. The overbridge is also bits of Wills sheets and girders, and the small hut is by Auhagen with a corrugated roof. It was a free gift from Continental Modeller a couple of years ago.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Looking good, I like the way you construct your embankments.:good_mini:

Thanks Kevin. I've just used up scraps of foamcore board and card to make the embankment framework. Hopefully the plaster bandages should be going on later today. The Peco signal cabin is currently being painted. I've also got a Lanarkshire Models HR buffer stop to put together and I'm planning to scratchbuild a low-relief goods shed.

• Like 1

port9.jpg.435b31f3ecce2169ab1db4457625104d.jpg

Here is a quick update. The track has been painted and ballasted and the signal box is complete. The bridge and embankments are in place and the sand dunes between the station and beach are taking shape. Ballast is Woodland Scenics fine and is a mix of various colours I had to hand - mainly grey and buff. You can see how the layout is very much inspired by Ken Gibbons' Port Pennan micro. A low-relief goods shed will go in the right-hand corner.

• Like 15

On 19/05/2020 at 15:25, Jerry1975 said:

I like this a lot,  looking forward to seeing more. 

Jerry. 

Thanks Jerry

I've had to have a rethink regarding the low-relief goods shed as the space available meant it would have been chopped off at one side as well as low-relief. A quick card mock-up showed this looked awful so I've decided it to replace it with a low loading dock and some fencing at the end of the siding. The story is that the original goods shed was destroyed by fire in the late sixties and the area is still wasteland, much to the disgust of the locals who rightly regard it as an eyesore! This scruffy corner should contrast nicely with the rest of the layout. I'll post a couple of photos as soon as I've completed the scene.

All the best

Max

I think I've finished with the exception of a few grass tufts. Now all I need to do is clean the track, wire up the controller and see if it actually works!

port12.jpg.d4fa01783c94dbaa0f5b9ff353cbeade.jpg

port14.jpg.8eeea8d574a68675f37941b353118565.jpg

port13.jpg.5c4ce1f974cac46e08c6fd2fe28357ca.jpg

The signalman is by Modelu and was originally on his way to Strachur before a last-minute transfer saw him head 200 miles further north.

My original intention was to make the fiddle yard from plywood but when I realised I didn't have enough I had to use what was lying around in the shed, which is OK as it follows the spirit of the project.

port11.jpg.1a7aa6d6df28bba8c316502fdb5ed67c.jpg

• Like 11

53 minutes ago, SeanG said:

Superb modelling. I really like what you have achieved in such a small space. Really inspired me to build a second layout.

Thanks Sean

A test with a class 26 showed that everything works ok so I’m going to have a proper running session soon. I can definitely recommend a small project as a second layout. The only problem now is that I’m already thinking about an extra section!
All the best

Max

excellent modelling Max really like what you have done . can i ask you where you got the fence ing thats runs  behind  the signal box a long  the back of the platform .

4 hours ago, kevo said:

excellent modelling Max really like what you have done . can i ask you where you got the fence ing thats runs  behind  the signal box a long  the back of the platform .

Hi Kevo

Thanks for your kind comment. The fencing is Wills SS45.

All the best

Max