Portmahomack summer 1978

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/06/2020 at 10:24, Max Legroom said:

It's August 1978 and Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty is topping the charts. 600 miles north of Baker Street, the first train of the day has arrived at Portmahomack from Tain having deposited a couple of passengers. After years of threats of closure the line looks secure and has recently been spruced up with some new signage. One of the old blue signs has been dumped in an open wagon in the yard. What were they thinking!

port1.jpg.788aeaa18e65f7844ee25a774dc02ff5.jpg

When our local station was re-signed it all went in a pile and the guy in charge said take what you like. A fair bit got bent and destroyed. Some damage to the enamel on the one station rounded I still have. The rest of what was liberated from that skip (all I could physically carry) got sold as part of the deposit on my first house.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks Steve. I have been meaning to give the layout a proper fiddle yard as the current one was just made from odd bits of wood I had to hand at the time. An extension to incorporate the loop is also on the cards.

Cheers

Max

• Like 1

On 01/07/2021 at 15:48, Max Legroom said:

Thanks Steve. I have been meaning to give the layout a proper fiddle yard as the current one was just made from odd bits of wood I had to hand at the time. An extension to incorporate the loop is also on the cards.

Cheers

Max

Look forward to seeing that.

Jerry. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...