acg5324

• RMweb Premium

Looking forwards to this, firmly focused on my part of the world. Is that the one horse station in the middle of nowhere that is Southease top right?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Looking forwards to this, firmly focused on my part of the world. Is that the one horse station in the middle of nowhere that is Southease top right?

Looks very much like Southease (& Rodmell as I recall it used to be).

I remember travelling from Lewes to Seaford in the baggage cage of a 4-CIG one stormy winter evening in the mid 1980s to visit my Grandparents.  The coach sides were rattling with the wind roaring outside but we still stopped there for no-one to alight or disembark.

I was, however, thankful for its presence many years later on a South Downs Way walk there from Eastbourne.  My feet were incredibly sore and my knees had resigned in protest.

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Correct John.

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago Brighton MRC used to run a car treasure hunt in the summer, of which I was one of the organisers. One year we had set a clue that involved working the user operated wind up level crossing booms, after getting permission from the signalman. With about 12 cars in the treasure hunt we changed the clue to the near side of the barriers, other the signalman would have been not best pleased with loads of calls.

As it turned out a later clue at Newhaven which involved the West Quay? cannon caused chaos as the cannon was actually on the East Quay and the swing Bridge opened in the middle of it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Will the delay allow you to correct the cover... “These previously photographs...”???

The typo had already been passed to the publishers, thanks. 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’ve just been advised of another delay to publication, now April 2021. This is due to reduced facilities available as a result of Covid19.

I’m currently about 60% through the pictures and 40% through the captions for the follow on book which is the NE- SW route and the NW-SE route.....with some of the East Anglia workings. It will have a snappier title!

Lots of interesting traction, class 31, 35, 37, 40, 45, 46, 47, 50.....including a photo of a Hoover on a Dover working in darkest Kent......Westerns and various AC electrics.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 26/04/2021 at 13:57, John M Upton said:

If I may ask, is this still on target for the 15th of June please?

You may John......touchwood yes still the 15th of June.

They’ve had the next book in some months too that’s NE-SW in the 70s and 80s.....no idea on a publication date for that one yet.....and finally I’m just finishing off the images for the West London line book.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just wanted to send my congratulations on this volume.  My partner collected my copies from our local book-shop yester-day, and it is a delight.  The first photograph of your father driving on the Volks Railway was a lovely touch.  Lots of photographs of scenes forgotten and trains in a proper livery.  Not sure my father is ready to be reminded of his commuting days when I give him his copy though. :)  Thanks for taking the trouble to get these pictures a wider audience, and spending time all those years ago - like many others - to record it all.  I hope the book is a success, and I can barely wait till the 'Kensington Olympia' volume.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, C126 said:

Just wanted to send my congratulations on this volume.  My partner collected my copies from our local book-shop yester-day, and it is a delight.  The first photograph of your father driving on the Volks Railway was a lovely touch.  Lots of photographs of scenes forgotten and trains in a proper livery.  Not sure my father is ready to be reminded of his commuting days when I give him his copy though. :)  Thanks for taking the trouble to get these pictures a wider audience, and spending time all those years ago - like many others - to record it all.  I hope the book is a success, and I can barely wait till the 'Kensington Olympia' volume.

Thank you very much for the comments……couldn’t leave my Dad out!  
Next book is table 51 the NE-SW route, I’m in the process of finishing the  Olympia book.

• 1 month later...