Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Dave Alexander RIP

MarkC

• RMweb Gold

So sad to read this, Dave was always ready for a natter at shows. I've built a fair few of his kits and his experience as a pattern maker was obvious, everything fitted where it should with the minimum of fettling, they weren't 'state of the art' but they didn't need to be, they were just well engineered by someone who knew what they were doing.

RIP Dave, you will be missed. 

• Agree 3

22 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

So sad to read this, Dave was always ready for a natter at shows. I've built a fair few of his kits and his experience as a pattern maker was obvious, everything fitted where it should with the minimum of fettling, they weren't 'state of the art' but they didn't need to be, they were just well engineered by someone who knew what they were doing.

RIP Dave, you will be missed. 

I only spoke to Dave on a few occasions, and we never met.

Nonetheless, you know when you are speaking to a fellow modeller - as opposed to someone who just wants to sell you something - and Dave was that person.

Interested in your project; keen to give advice; and generous to a fault with whatever he had available that might help.

The hobby is deprived of one of its good 'uns.

This will be my personal memorial to him.

IMG_9830.JPG.9a715aa87caf33999314ece19f2f4594.JPG

RIP Dave.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I only chatted to him once over the phone - a nice guy.

His kits filled a welcome gap back in the day.

Here's three of them from 15 years ago to remind us of what he did for us.

d8403.jpg

d8577.jpg

d9538.jpg

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Sad news indeed,

can I add this to the tributes to his work, bought from PMP and completed just before Heljan released theirs ..

DSC00369.thumb.JPG.262dc52e860528b09f9bcb6e52e522e4.JPG

Still a regular performer on Summat Colliery

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Very sad to hear this. I have built many of his kits and had the great pleasure of meeting him at the Newcastle show in 2013. A great loss to NER modellers. My sincere condolences to his family.

Edited by nerron
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Sad news indeed,

can I add this to the tributes to his work, bought from PMP and completed just before Heljan released theirs ..

DSC00369.JPG.a67f8884a099cca2327c4f3ecaebb40a.JPG

Still a regular performer on Summat Colliery

It was your build that put me onto Dave's kits - really must finish my 15...

So sorry to hear Dave has crossed the bar, we both used to work for Stephenson Clarke Shipping, I used to enjoy chatting about the old days at exhibitions. A great guy and a huge loss to this wonderful hobby.

Ian Blenkinsopp

IMG_3145.JPG

Edited by ianblenk
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Really sad to read this news. As others have said, Dave was a real Gent and it was a pleasure and privilege to talk to him face to face or on the 'phone.  My sincere sympathy to his family and close associates. RIP Dave.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, johndon said:

It was the release of Dave's Consett Iron Hoppers that made it practical for me to make my current layout:

spacer.png

I hope one day that these may become available again, along with the rest of Dave's range.  It would make a fine tribute I think.

14 minutes ago, polybear said:

I hope one day that these may become available again, along with the rest of Dave's range.  It would make a fine tribute I think.

hopefully, I know there was at least one interested party but I don’t know how far that got. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to hear of the passing of Dave Alexander.  I first came across him when I was a schoolboy and he used to run The Model Shop in Laygate, South Shields.  I regularly saw him at model railway exhibitions around the North East of England and the last time I saw him was at Workshop Wise, Stannington last October.  He has therefore been known to me for a very long time and will be a miss.