LNER station garden competitions / beautification

jukebox

Can anyone shed any light on the practice of landscaping ends of platforms and other lineside spaces that the LNER did in the latter years of their existence?

There is a photo from around 1947 in "The Worlds Railways and How They Work" (Odham) that shows a very tidy grassing:

IMG_0713.JPG.0518146fd2de3dc96b5055d274eb866f.JPG

I have noticed that plantings like those small bushes appear lineside in period photos taken outside of Kings Cross, as well as parts of the Tyne Dock-Consett route.

I also recall a copy of BRill that detailed the visit of an inspector to a rural station in a special train, judging this sort of thing.

Can anyone shed some light on the extent and longevity of this sort of thing - or did it, if you'll pardon the pun, die out as the railways ran down in the 1960's.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

That’s just north of York station. There are photos of these features being well tended into the 1960s but I get the impression they were left untended from sometime in that decade. The odd privet bush survived out as far as milepost 1 into the 1980s, I think electrification works swept away the last remains.

• Informative/Useful 1

The Scottish station that used to have pretty much a stranglehold on any "best garden" awards was Aberdour.  The station now has a thriving visitor centre and has kept up the old traditions of well kept gardens.  IIRC It won the National Rail Award for "Small Station of the Year" in 2018

Jim

• Agree 1