Hornby bare wires?

10 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

There you go all better now......somebody saw it.:lol:

A98E247F-01A4-451D-9B4B-06EBFDA4512C.jpeg.1ff3d4202bc041763568953efe7d6dbb.jpeg
but on the Hornby site they have just airbrushed in on the graphic some extra insulation on the wires......really?

Looks a bit neater! 

19 hours ago, Harlequin said:

But, as has also been pointed out, this is Hornby's own publicity image:

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/power-control/dcc-decoders/4-pin-decoder-6e5489.html

Most companies would use the best image they could produce to promote the product. So what are we supposed to think, when this is the chosen image?

Saves having to prod the photo-bod to take another snap, even if you can still see the heat damage on the circuit board!

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Hroth said:

Looks a bit neater! 

Saves having to prod the photo-bod to take another snap, even if you can still see the heat damage on the circuit board!

Oddly the new decent picture is from Rails, the photoshopped image which is the original is is on the Hornby site, so I surmise that rails resoldered a decoder maybe and replaced the official Hornby pic on their site?

4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Oddly the new decent picture is from Rails, the photoshopped image which is the original is is on the Hornby site, so I surmise that rails resoldered a decoder maybe and replaced the official Hornby pic on their site?

On the other thread about this, Rails said it was out of the box.

John P

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, jpendle said:

On the other thread about this, Rails said it was out of the box.

John P

Well that’s a lot better than Hornby’s effort at photoshopping in some extra insulation :lol:

9 hours ago, RAF96 said:

All this fuss about a dodgy marketing picture issued in error when the actual product is good as evidenced by the Rails picture of the real thing.

There's also more than one topic about the same issue. Doesn't seem to be an issue because it's Hornby bashing :D

People just don't seem to get it, the image was just representational and yes, issued in error. The OP seems extremely interested in slacking Hornby off for everything. RoS post a picture of the product out of the box, he's quick to say RoS soldered it. Truly impressive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

There's also more than one topic about the same issue. Doesn't seem to be an issue because it's Hornby bashing :D

People just don't seem to get it, the image was just representational and yes, issued in error. The OP seems extremely interested in slacking Hornby off for everything. RoS post a picture of the product out of the box, he's quick to say RoS soldered it. Truly impressive.

Maybe it’s because I was a professional photographer for 45 years that this kind of “issue” annoys me, it’s not because it’s Hornby.....I’d be annoyed if it were any large multi national manufacturer’s publicity department let something like this through. I would have been truly ashamed had I let anything like that out of my studio....regardless.

And as for RoS I noted that because I thought it was at least a good effort to make good a bad cock up up by a manufacturer.......and please do tell me we’re else I have been “slagging  Hornby of for everything”.

Your defense of the indefensible is.....truly impressive! :D

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Gold

This is, IMHO, a 'news filler'. Nothing is happening in Margate, So, create a Hornby talking point. Quick! Nip over to Screwfix, and buy the cheapest soldering iron you can find!  Next! let the office staff 'have a go' with something inexpensive, say, a DCC chip.

Once it's been up & down the office a few times.... "Hey, that's great! Just what we need! Now, picture it, and get it up onto the website. We should get at least 2 pages on RMWeb, which is where our target audience congregates."

And so, here we are. Or, where YOU are. Nothing like a little bit of harmless nonsense to keep Hornby in the public eye. I haven't looked, but I'll bet there is a very similar thread topic over at Airfix.... 

Me? A hard bitten, world-weary old cynic? Me? You must be looking for someone else, Guv'ner!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

This is, IMHO, a 'news filler'. Nothing is happening in Margate, So, create a Hornby talking point. Quick! Nip over to Screwfix, and buy the cheapest soldering iron you can find!  Next! let the office staff 'have a go' with something inexpensive, say, a DCC chip.

Once it's been up & down the office a few times.... "Hey, that's great! Just what we need! Now, picture it, and get it up onto the website. We should get at least 2 pages on RMWeb, which is where our target audience congregates."

And so, here we are. Or, where YOU are. Nothing like a little bit of harmless nonsense to keep Hornby in the public eye. I haven't looked, but I'll bet there is a very similar thread topic over at Airfix.... 

Me? A hard bitten, world-weary old cynic? Me? You must be looking for someone else, Guv'ner!

:lol: oh but I wish that were true......

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

:lol: oh but I wish that were true......

Sorry David, but I slightly disagree, if I may.

The supposedly 'honest' world that you or I grew up with has long gone. Nowadays, it's Spin, or diversionary news. British Leyland had, in its final days, ran a course for managers  to squirm their way out, by using diversionary subjects to deflect the subject in hand.

In times like this, it's quite normal to use diversionary news. How do think Mr. Trumpton managed to get the job?  If you want to keep in the public eye, create a bit of old flammery...

I hope everyone is keeping safe, and more importantly, enjoying the weather.

Ian.  

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

The photo first appeared in December 2019 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/150159-Hornby-2020-range-announcements/&do=findComment&comment=3782124

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Pannier Tank said:

Yes, you're entirely right....

But, we're talking about it today....  And racing towards a 3rd page, I might add.... I'm sure you understand where I'm driving at!

Best wishes,

Ian.

11 hours ago, RAF96 said:

Time the mods locked this thread as further bleating is not adding to the topic, merely chin-wagging.

Don't expect Hornby bashing to be stopped anytime soon here! The forum is a source for Hornby bashers and by the looks of it, it is encouraged. You'd think multiple topics about the same thing will get some sort of recognition.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Don't expect Hornby bashing to be stopped anytime soon here! The forum is a source for Hornby bashers and by the looks of it, it is encouraged. You'd think multiple topics about the same thing will get some sort of recognition.

If it had been any other manufacturer promoting a DCC decoder with a similar image they would have been called out for it, and rightly so. This is valid and useful comment.

I don't see Hornby in particular being bashed on this forum - except maybe in proportion to their market share, which might be expected. I wonder if confirmation bias is playing a part here???

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

One thing which has been overlooked is why you need a picture of a DCC decoder in the first place!

Yes a diagram (preferably with dimensions) by all means - but a picture?

A DCC decoder is a functional item that gets hidden inside something else when you use it so what it looks like in the arty sense is irrelevant. physical size and electrical specifications are what they are sold on...

• Agree 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

It's also a source of Bachmann bashers, Heljan haters, Dapol deriders and general grumpiness. It's also home to some exceptional and inspirational modelling. We'd rather encourage the later (although I fail to see how criticising any manufacturer is "encouraged" - perhaps you could provide details? Weare also often criticised for not allowing criticism) but the most vocal people in this hobby seem to like to be miserable.

33 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

One thing which has been overlooked is why you need a picture of a DCC decoder in the first place!

Because if there wasn't one - someone would complain!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Don't expect Hornby bashing to be stopped anytime soon here! The forum is a source for Hornby bashers and by the looks of it, it is encouraged. You'd think multiple topics about the same thing would be merged..

‘All fixed for you :D

On 27/04/2020 at 07:44, phil-b259 said:

To help with all the questions that start "Can anyone identify this decoder..." :)

Without having another decoder to compare against, a picture is worth a thousand words, say 10 - 50 posts :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Crosland said:

To help with all the questions that start "Can anyone identify this decoder..." :)

Without having another decoder to compare against, a picture is worth a thousand words, say 10 - 50 posts :)

Erm - what about things like part numbers? Although perhaps not easy to see I cannot believe that something like an electrical circuit board won't have some sort of identification on it which can be used for identification.

Yes a picture may paint a 1000 words as they say - but with a small electrical device like this even a picture isn't that helpful unless you have something else in shot to give an idea of size....