Advice Sought Auto Coupling Zimo Decoders CV115 and CV116

tarifa

• RMweb Gold

I operate quite a few Zimo decoders and would like to operate them in shunt mode.  Has anyone any experience of using the above CV's to auto decouple Sprat and Winkle couplings.  My loco's with Loksound decoders work a treat on the auto couple feature.  By setting CV115 and CV116 on Zimo decoders will the loco push back to drop the hook and move forward to disengage same as the Loksound.  Is it also possible to assign a function key for the operation.  I have studied the Zimo manual but the setting up arrangement is not clear as it refers to Roco and another brand that operates auto couplers.  Any advise gratefully received.

Mike

Yes it will all work.   Uncoupling movment has been supported on Zimo's for at least a dozen years. 

Steps:

1a  -  if using an on-board actuator (small electromagnet or other items in your loco to move coupling), then first step is to assign that output to a function key via function mapping. 

1b - if not using an on-board actuator,  then need to assign an unused function output to a function key via function mapping.  This doesn't need any wires, just requires the decoder firmware supports that function output. 

2 - with the output chosen, change its type to "uncoupler" .  See the manual where it covers the various types of flashing lights etc. 

3 - set CV115/CV116 to control the movement and operation of the uncoupler.   Even without a coupling device present, you still need to set an "on time" for the (non-existent) coupling mechanism. 

The movement will be moderated by the currently active acceleration/deceleration rates.  If those are extremely long, you may not get much movement.   Typically a "shunting" function key can be used to set the acceleration/deceleration to a shorter, or zero, value.

There is a small "gotcha" with some powercab's.   Its to do with when function refreshes are sent by the powercab, and the end result can be a loco which just keeps running on the "pull away" step, rather than coming to a rest.   Its solved by changing a setting in the powercab around the refresh rate.    (And no, I can't remember what the setting is, don't own a powercab, so would have to google the details  ). 

- Nigel