My first scratch build, and now my second

Hello everyone 

it has been a few months since my last post , and now I have been able to get the electrical connections I needed from Modelit work has started on the station building again 

The station Masters office is now finished , just got to add the man himself and the general waiting room/refreshments room is almost finished .  I think I might have made the refreshments counter a bit too long , still a bit late now as I’ve glued it down.  Anyone got any ideas how I can furnish the counter With may be tea urn  and plates etc
Oh and the lights work :D
I have attached a few photos 

FF86D221-B918-4A67-9230-7A21EE828839.jpeg

0B66F25D-8018-4F7B-A60A-F81FE4FE0BAC.jpeg

3C08EFA6-665B-4C88-AF9C-14735780BA99.jpeg

0064AD86-37F8-40FE-B73B-1F6F1ACCC94E.jpeg

7BC9CA08-A886-430D-BA78-7323736929DF.jpeg

AA6890F0-CFB0-433E-A154-32DFFE16B863.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello everyone and a belated happy new year 

Well it’s been quite a few months since I last posted anything and after a few dormant months I finally got going again on the station building 

The roof is almost finished bar the guttering and entrance canopy and the extension building is 3/4 finished

I’m quite pleased with how it’s turning out , although it’s no where near the standards of some on here, but I’m getting there :) 

6D70683D-55D9-4A9D-936B-AC4ABBEBD365.jpeg

8CB4C369-FE71-4128-BF9D-2D5D41B86432.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone 

I’ve done a bit more work on the station building. The entrance canopy has been built which I got from Lcut and has been fitted, the roof is finished except for the guttering’s and the extension building has been completed  with advertising signs and fire buckets.

I have some LNER signs on order which should be with me soon and then they’ll be attached 

I’ve got a bit of light bleed coming from the roof which I’ve left detachable so I can replace LED’s should I need to

All in all I am pretty happy with how it has turned out , and having now done a scratch build and found how hard it is and also how satisfying it is watching it come together, my admiration for those who do it a lot more than me and certainly a lot better has really grown 

Jayne 

55581148-5301-415F-84E1-A0C576E1C34D.jpeg

2C106470-1715-4AE0-B52D-1475D118E79F.jpeg

02B57035-DCFB-4CD0-889B-893A194D1058.jpeg

F1AC61D9-C8F2-4F5B-8CA4-98AEFA8C97E2.jpeg

0D78D153-15F0-4669-8C57-9CABF7558E5C.jpeg

5B930442-F06E-41B3-9113-42B593CEB38B.jpeg

CF780B42-1C31-489A-B4A5-3B2843CF85C8.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

@col.stephens Thank you Terry , it’s a bit scrappy in places but I’m pleased with it , certainly learnt a lot by building it 

As for your question I really don’t know , I know it won’t be the goods or engine sheds as I’ve bought Lcut kits for those , I might have a go at some of the building that will go along the back siding once I’ve laid it 

jayne 

Hello everyone 

Just a little bit done to the station building but something I think adds a lot to it , and that is a few LNER advertising boards, they really make a difference 

The canopies are in the process of being built , and I’ve got some more guttering on order 

Once this is finished I shall be starting on scratch build 2 , as once again I cannot find anything that goes

Jayne 

0F51999B-0343-43BF-9F30-6609EA77B954.jpeg

07E8FE64-A584-4122-9258-CA73E7BE4830.jpeg

• Like 3

The best way to improve a skill is to start and that's a superb beginning. I've just completed my first build (a 1:48 scale shop front) just for the doing of it and learned loads. There's a railway scene project that my son and I are working on that includes lots of buildings for 4mm scale so I think just having a go at some of the buildings in my village will provide the skills needed for when it counts.

• Agree 1

Hello everyone 

My first scratch build is almost over , the platform canopy is finished , all that remains is the guttering and drain pipes and one small wall which I’ve just started , so hopefully by the end of the week I should be done 

The only down point is the canopy roof is supposed to be matt black, but it has a distinctive sheen to it , any ideas to how I can matt it down 

Jayne 

17D6435A-E77A-420C-8999-7CFCAD9B0DC6.jpeg

013859DA-19BD-40D1-8603-3B523DD42FE8.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi everyone 

With my first scratch build almost finished , I have now started on my second , which with a lot of lessons learnt on the first one , I hopefully won’t make the same mistakes 

One lesson I definitely learned was use thicker card and on this one I am :)

I’ve attached a couple of photos of my station and one of the new one , I’ll let you guess as to what it will be 

Jayne 

98608E2C-C4A9-4E0C-B076-1F4D51078513.jpeg

5C85E2C6-23BA-49D9-A0FD-C83BB67940A7.jpeg

0DAE5F6D-24B2-42E9-91F2-730D3450AB92.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Great Eastern Lady said:

@Johann Marsbar.  You’re too good at this 

Having driven past the remains of Framlingham station several times a day whilst at work, for about 11 years, I got to know it rather well.

Never bothered taking any photos of the remaining buildings though, other than the one of the bus posing  in front of the pub, which was early on a Sunday morning back in 2007.

Apart from the pub and the station building, the former railway property is just another bland, modern housing estate now....

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone 

My second scratch build did not start very well , having built the front wall of the inn , I was having a good look at it and decided that I had built it a bit too small and that the rest of the building once completed would look tiny compared to the others, so I started again.  
I am glad I did as the new slightly enlarged building shell certainly looks a lot better 

Jayne 

1E6C17BA-3743-4718-A732-51AF415739FC.jpeg

7F91AFB7-D2C3-47FB-A012-CD7D09D6A027.jpeg

7BBC5E39-6326-44BE-8127-DAC9EDE6E0A8.jpeg

677033AC-5305-4195-8154-E5EDAA9BDA89.jpeg

• Like 2

Great eastern lady,

I think you have done fantastically well, if I may add some constructive criticism here, your main bug bearer is in the bracing.

the thing with model structures, is that you only see what work has gone into the exterior of a model but just as much work s needed on the inside also.

It is vastly important in that you try to put sufficient time into interior bracing, to ensure all will be square and at correct right angles and in proportion.

once you have mastered that, there will be no holding you back.

Any questions, I will try to reply.

Peter A L

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think @Gravy Train has touched on the point regarding bracing - especially using card, as slight variations in humidity can affect card - hence an ideal way of covering a question that was raised right at the beginning of the thread - interiors! Your interior walls become the bracing. A suggestion if I may? Get yourself a printer if you can afford one (don't buy too cheaply as the replacement cartridges cost more than the printer). Replacement generic cartridges can be bought cheaply on a well-known on-line warehouse - £20 for 20 assorted cartridges for mine - what's not to like?

Once you have your printer, you can download almost any type of covering for very little outlay - and you can print as many times as you want. I happen to like Scalescenes AND the interiors are part of the download if you want a complete building (just a satisfied customer!).

You're doing well and the buildings are looking good. Just a constructive critism - do take care in blending in the brickwork when doing the corners (the quoins) and the roofing material should be laid in overlaying strips - do that, with your interiors and lighting, and I'm sure they'll be superb!

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1

@Gravy Train & @Philou Thank you for your comments and yes I appreciate any constructive criticism. I am very much on a learning curve, I have used thicker card than I did on my first which did cause the walls to bow quite a bit. I have used a bit more reinforcement in the corners 

As for printing I have got some pretty good colour printers at work lol , so I have all ready down loaded and printed off some scale scenes brick

I won’t be going as crazy as I did with the station building and doing interiors but it will be lit up 

Here is the latest photo of the Railway Inn , still very much in the early stages

Jayne 

EBB3F24B-DBB6-4E07-8C96-28A3D66BAB32.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi Jayne,

that’s great that your enthusiastic, when I do Demonstrations at shows, I tell people not to fall into the trap of laminating as an aid to bracing.

There are issues with laminating, a highly respected modeller once did a scientific experiment to find out why plastic sheets laminated together, warped.

he was told that there is a grain in plastic sheet and it can’t be seen unlike with wood, so when you fit 3,4,5 sheets of say 40 thou together they will bend because you can’t define were the grain is.

I use mostly 40 thou plastic sheet and make up a shell with two pieces of plastic facing each other with microstrip forming the cladding in between, making sure that you drill out tiny holes n the inside to let the solvent fumes escape.

I find this to be very successful in aiding a straight robust wall section.

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1