Baseboard Clips/Clasps/Toggle Latches

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I'm thinking of using toggle latches to hold my baseboards together. I've found numerous examples on Amazon, and I'm not sure any of them have a sprung system like those from Station Road Baseboards, so I'm wondering what are people's experiences with different types of toggle?

Also, I'm looking for a toggle latch that is very thin and low so it can fit between tracks centred 50mm apart. Does anyone know of any?

TIA

• RMweb Premium

The only toggle I use is like this..  Adjustable so you can get it just right. 

images (2).jpeg

3 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Hi all,

Also, I'm looking for a toggle latch that is very thin and low so it can fit between tracks centred 50mm apart. Does anyone know of any?

Would it not be better to attach the latches to the vertical face of the baseboard frame?  I am using the sprung ones from Station Road Baseboards attached in this way and find them very successful.  The facility to insert a locking pin in either the closed or open position is a definite bonus for a portable layout.

Harold.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, HLT 0109 said:

Would it not be better to attach the latches to the vertical face of the baseboard frame?  I am using the sprung ones from Station Road Baseboards attached in this way and find them very successful.  The facility to insert a locking pin in either the closed or open position is a definite bonus for a portable layout.

Harold.

Most of the connections will be on the sides of the boards. However, there are a few which, due to the nature of the board arrangements need to be on the top surface instead. I'd put them underneath except that the framing gets in the way.

• RMweb Premium

There's company called 'Protex Fasteners' who do all manner of toggle catches in all different shapes and sizes from very small to heavy duty.  I've used some of their smaller ones  to join a couple of boards, best thing was they are black in colour so blend in nicely with the dark colour of the layout fascia.  This is the link to their toggle catch page:

https://www.protex.com/toggle-latches

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Solo said:

There's company called 'Protex Fasteners' who do all manner of toggle catches in all different shapes and sizes from very small to heavy duty.  I've used some of their smaller ones  to join a couple of boards, best thing was they are black in colour so blend in nicely with the dark colour of the layout fascia.  This is the link to their toggle catch page:

https://www.protex.com/toggle-latches

Now that's a useful resource. Even with just a cursory look, there seem to be enough variations that I'm likely to find ones suitable for the top surface. Many thanks :)