Burchill Edge Sidings - BR Blue Carriage/NPCCS Sidings, with a nod to Manchester Red Bank & Bristol Malago Vale

9C85

Testing the couplings in operation.  The first photo shows it opened correctly over the magnet, and the second shows the delayed action working further down the siding.

20200501_151314.jpg

20200501_151108.jpg

• Like 2

Nice job on the coach, something you could do to make it more individual is remove the gangway as many of these vans lost them in later life? It is a simple job to remove then replace with the appropriate shaped plasticard sprayed blue.

• Like 1

One final shot of the coach ready to go into service.  This photo shows my entire coaching stock at present. I need to do the same job as today on the Lima GUV. I have enjoyed this little afternoon diversion while I wait for the final bit of ballast glue to dry.

20200501_153056.jpg

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Nice job on the coach, something you could do to make it more individual is remove the gangway as many of these vans lost them in later life? It is a simple job to remove then replace with the appropriate shaped plasticard sprayed blue.

Yes I did think about it.  The gangway on the model is actually flexible.  Not overly so, but I was expecting it to be rigid plastic 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

You could introduce some SR type and BR CCTs as shorter 4-wheel stock. Plenty around Man Vic and Picc in the 1970s, also the class 128 Parcels railcar. Lima ex-GW Siphon as well.

Dava

Edited by Dava
Addition
  • Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, Dava said:

You could introduce some SR type and BR CCTs as shorter 4-wheel stock. Plenty around Man Vic and Picc in the 1970s, also the class 128 Parcels railcar. Lima ex-GW Siphon as well.

Dava

I am looking at SR vans on a certain auction site 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dava said:

Dava

I was quite surprised how common the SR CCTs were in 1977 for when my layout is set. The Bachmann model is a good effort 

• Like 1

I think I am going for 1982 as being the upper limit of my time frame.  I am not sure how far back I want to go yet, but I am getting more and more tempted by some 4 character headcode stuff.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 9C85 said:

I think I am going for 1982 as being the upper limit of my time frame.  I am not sure how far back I want to go yet, but I am getting more and more tempted by some 4 character headcode stuff.

4 digit Headcodes stopped being used around end of  1975, being would to 4 zeros.  The Domino headcodes started appearing from 1976, then plating over started around 1978. Some locos lasted longer but by 1982 the majority of locos would have had plated headcodes. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, 37114 said:

4 digit Headcodes stopped being used around end of  1975, being would to 4 zeros.  The Domino headcodes started appearing from 1976, then plating over started around 1978. Some locos lasted longer but by 1982 the majority of locos would have had plated headcodes. 

My 47 is plated over and I want it to be a Canton 'namer'.  I grew up in South Wales and spent far too much time at the western end of platform 4 at Cardiff Central. A bit of Googling revealed that my preferred choice of loco - 47 081 Odin - was renumbered in 1982, so that is my end point. I am coming round to having a 40 as I  would like a newspaper train, although I only ever saw a couple of 40s at Cardiff, and I want a Peak and either a 25 or 33 barking around the yard. I believe 1982 is a safe bet for all of these.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Another little job. I have installed wire in tube point control as a 'temporary' measure while I decide on whether to go for digital, analogue or even mechanical control. Up until this morning, there were nine 5cm lengths of piano wire sticking out from the side of the baseboard. I have caught my hand and few times, drawing blood on a couple of occasions, and I wanted to make it safe. I had been putting earth sleeving loosely over the wire but it keeps falling off

I was going to use dowels but can't get to a DIY shop, so I had an idea to use wine corks. I managed to order some 'stopper' type corks. I thought I would have to drill holes into them  but, being cork-like material, I could simply trim the wire to the required length and push on the Cork. 

20200502_123257.jpg

20200502_123106.jpg

Edited by 9C85

The corks seem to work well.  I may add a spot of glue to the wire if they start to slide off.

The stoppers give the corks a more 'fit for purpose ' feel. I could even put turnout numbers on the faces if I felt like it. It will be interesting to see how long this 'temporary' solution lasts

20200502_125456.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I can't see the corks stopping on personally, no friction fit.

However, if you bend the wire up at a ninety degree angle and put the corks on from above, voila.

Mike.

Yes, a couple have slid off already. I have tried bending the wire and adding glue. I will review the idea in a few days.  At least they are acting as safety covers now :P

• Friendly/supportive 2

At last, the ballast glue has finally dried! I have had a quick clean up with a track rubber, but I will need to go over it with a vacuum cleaner tomorrow. I did a test run of the 08 at scale speed over the final sections with only a few glitches.  The point switch corks seem to be behaving too.

Couldn't resist a quick running session tonight, testing out the shunting options in my parcels stock.  The new van is behaving well and I am looking forward to getting more GUVs to make it more authentic looking.

A mate asked me if I was going to have any bridges on the layout, so I took a few shots of the girder bridges over the central section.  These will hopefully help disguise the ' hole in the wall' where the trains enter and leave the visible section and go off to the storage yard via a kickback siding.

20200502_195135.jpg

20200502_194710.jpg

Edited by 9C85
Typo
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, 9C85 said:

At last, the ballast glue has finally dried! I have had a quick clean up with a track rubber, but I will need to go over 8 with a vacuum cleaner tomorrow. I did a test run of the 08 at scale speed over the final sections with only a few glitches.  The point switch corks seem to be behaving too.

Couldn't resist a quick running session tonight, testing out the shunting options in my parcels stock.  The new van is behaving well and I am looking forward to getting more GUVs to make it more authentic looking.

A mate asked me if I was going to have any bridges on the layout, so I took a few shots of the girder bridges over the central section.  These will hopefully help disguise the ' hole in the wall' where the trains enter and leave the visible section and go off to the storage yard via a kickback siding.

20200502_195135.jpg

20200502_194710.jpg

Realy coming along treat now:good:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, saxokid said:

Realy coming along treat now:good:

Thanks a lot.  It's nice to be back to a stage where I can run some trains if I want to. I think that putting the layout on this forum has really moved things forward, as I feel I should be updating progress every couple of days at least.  It is also a good quality control mechanism, because as soon as I post a photo, I am guaranteed to spot something that needs sorting, like ballast on a sleeper or plasticard that needs painting. The positive feedback I am getting is very encouraging. 

• Agree 1

Just now, 9C85 said:

Thanks a lot.  It's nice to be back to a stage where I can run some trains if I want to. I think that putting the layout on this forum has really moved things forward, as I feel I should be updating progress every couple of days at least.  It is also a good quality control mechanism, because as soon as I post a photo, I am guaranteed to spot something that needs sorting, like ballast on a sleeper or plasticard that needs painting. The positive feedback I am getting is very encouraging. 

Yer your right there 9c85 forum can help in so many ways with modelling builds,ive been on here many years but last year lost pass word I had to start again.

lucky I can keep my other two layout progress going day ..

A good day today. Went over the ballast with the vacuum cleaner and pretty much all of it stayed down :P

Probably had a tablespoon of ballast in the cleaner container by the end of it, but I didn't recycle it.

This afternoon, I have  done a bit of woodwork, which I am far more comfortable with than tracklaying, wiring or ballasting. 

I have made the base 'formwork' for the scenic break at the garage door  (nominally North East) end of the layout . I am going to have an access road down from the bridge to a small staff car park. I am toying with the idea of using sandpaper as the covering for the road and  car park.  Has this been done? Is it a good or bad choice? I have quite a bit of ballast left, so I could use that for the car park if necessary. 

One other little job I did was to fit 'crash barriers' at the end of each siding. I rescued a load of padding material used in camera cases from work. It's ideal as it's pre half-cut into segments, like a chocolate bar, and you can razor saw off the length and thickness you need.

You may be able to see some of it under the bridge in the attached photos.

20200503_163551.jpg

20200503_163638.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 21/04/2020 at 21:32, 9C85 said:

Thanks a lot.  This is my first layout in over 40 years, and obviously a first dabble with DCC.  I am enjoying it so far but I do not have the dexterity or patience for some of the fiddly stuff I would like to include.  I have opted for Kadee delayed action uncoupling in the yard area, so I can marshal parcels stock, and my passenger trains will be fixed rakes of 5 coaches, although I could probably squeeze a BG on the end if the 08 was moving it. I am trying to give the impression of the viewer looking at the middle portion of a bigger yard. I am going to use girder overbridges as scenic breaks.  

So, for the past few days I have taken a break from 'working ' on the layout and have just enjoyed being able to shunt stuff around. 

When I was creating the 'working specification ' for the layout, I wanted to be able to run 5-coach trains behind a Type 4 diesel. I had seen this on the YouTube channel of the excellent Bradfield Gloucester Square layout and I think that 5 coaches is probably the realistic minimum for a 47 or a Peak. In the late 80s I used to travel from Portsmouth to Cardiff every Friday afternoon.  For some reason, the service around 2pm was hauled by a Class 47 instead of the usual Class 33, and that was always 5 coaches.  I have also seen YouTube video of Peaks on Trans Pennine  workings in the 80s comprised of five Mk2 coaches. 

Out of curiosity, I did try out fitting a 6 coach train in the yard reception road and I could just about do it with a BG tagged on to the train and with an 08 moving it. However, when I tried with the 47, I came agonisingly close to fitting it in (see pictures).

I am not too disappointed that I can't fit in 6 Mk1 or Mk2 coaches. I remember reading in Railway Modeller many years ago that in order to give the impression of space, you should leave space. My longest siding would probably fit 8 Mk1 coaches at a push, but putting a 6-coach parcels train in it, including a couple of CCTs and a 50ft BG, makes the siding look a lot bigger. 

I think my next job will be to get the NE end of the layout into shape by adding the access road and retaining wall down from the girder bridge. 20200506_203132.jpg.d47c77d78a8a67bb6791142bf8113d7e.jpg

20200506_204619.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
On 22/04/2020 at 00:16, newbryford said:

Suitably amended for you....

Pics from flickr

Manchester Red Bank Sidings, February 1984

5M12 Sundays only Glasgow-Red Bank

British Railways 40060

There was a saturday am working too ?

As a kid I recall many early saturday mornings at Bolton, sometime between 6am-8am to join a railtour with my father, there would always be a 40 coming round the curve from Lostock junction, it was always a very long train, 16-20 vans just like above, that slowly crawled round, stopped before heading into the city, exactly as above..

fantastic memories, but anyone know what that parcels working would be ?

loads of memories of the old Bolton station, T&N railtours frequently started trips here. The stock arrived and pulled into the centre road, ran round, and pushed its train towards Lostock, before pulling into platform 3 as above. 40122 did this more than once. Other frequent trips included the Swindon Ambassador, Bolton Spa Express, London christmas trips, spalding and several others.

i once spent an afternoon in stock at Red Bank,  I arrived in from Derby on a railtour with 44932, 44932 went off to MOSI for servicing whilst a 31 stabled us in Red Bank, we were looking after the sales stand..unfortunately nothing exciting happened, but it was different.

Another occasion was riding a stock move to the ELR, which had been slowly accumulated there for transfer to bury. The Mile Platting banker came up around 7pm one summers evening, took the ensemble to Buckley Wells, dropped everything off around 8pm and headed back, consist included a few guvs, bsk, brakevan and borail as I recall...I think the brakevan was supposed to go back, but didnt...

One of those guvs when opened was loaded with brutes full of old newspapers. 

(seen here not long after arrival at Bury)

The 26b group promptly took them to their paper recycling and the brutes disappeared quick into a metal skip, unfortunately one of those coaches, I believe 4642 (i’d not forget the number) had been used by a local red bank scrote as his personal toilet.. all over the floor end to end.. i dont envy who at ELR cleaned it, but it became known as the turd mobile thereafter, needless to say, we chose to ride in the brakevan to Bury.

so in short Red Bank wasnt just Guvs, BGs, DMUs and mk1’s... lots of other oddities passed through, especially ELR bound deliveries in the mid-late 1980’s, inc items like a Sealink BSK, a Blue or Maroon Western, Green Warship, Green 24 Various wagons, class 504s wouldnt be inaccurate if they were in transit to Bury...  theres a well know picture of D9531 and D7076 at Victoria’s stabling line awaiting transfer to Bury once..so even a 14 is a possibility... and that infamous Pilkington Special K slime green livery set.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1