Burchill Edge Sidings - BR Blue Carriage/NPCCS Sidings, with a nod to Manchester Red Bank & Bristol Malago Vale

9C85

• RMweb Premium

I’m really impressed with how you are coming along - definitely capturing some atmosphere!

What are you using to record the videos - a phone or something more sophisticated? They certainly work very well. 

And what sound unit is in the 47? At low speed it seems to really capture one. 

Thanks - and great work!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 61656 said:

I’m really impressed with how you are coming along - definitely capturing some atmosphere!

What are you using to record the videos - a phone or something more sophisticated? They certainly work very well. 

And what sound unit is in the 47? At low speed it seems to really capture one. 

Thanks - and great work!

Thanks a lot for the kind words. I capture everything on my phone which is a Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo. It is nothing special and, of the five phones in our household, it probably has the lowest quality camera, but it does what I need it to do.

The 47 was reblown from factory fitted to Legomanbiffo v4. I had it done at Doncaster show just before lockdown. It is a very good piece of kit. The drivelock and the working brake are great for a shunting layout.  At £24 for a reblow, I would recommend it to anyone. 

I would like to get all my locos sound fitted but it would cost £150 to fit in the Class 25, which is almost twice what I paid for the loco in the first place :o

I was going to get it fitted with my birthday money, but I bought the airbrush instead. Probably the better choice. I can only see dcc sound getting better quality as time progresses, so I am happy to wait a bit longer. 

Thanks again for the kind words.

I was determined to get the track weathering finished so I could get back to running trains again. 

I had a cheeky shunt last night before adding the dark coat and I did start to feel really happy with how the layout is coming along (see the videos).

I have got to the point where I am happy enough to thin and mix the paint directly in the airbrush cup. I have wasted so much paint by mixing in plastic cups (recycled takeaway curry mint sauce pots) as the thick paint likes to stick to the plastic - that's it's job, after all.

Also, I reckon that I am not far off a 50:50 paint to thinners ratio. It does mean that I am only getting a very thin coat, but at least it's coming out of the airbrush :D and it allows me to build up as much as I want, plus the cleaning was a lot easier. 

I have cracked on today and done the roof dirt coat down the centre of the tracks.  I have given it some extra coats where locos stand - I will add some oil stains at some point. 

I even felt happy enough to use the airbrush on some stock.  I masked up and tidied up the rooflines on my resprayed GUV and the CCT on which I hand painted the roof. 

I am quite pleased with how the track is looking now.

20200711_142553.jpg.c398c4b16075d2116588769e6597b716.jpg

20200711_142716.jpg.9083f57be81290346b7dc5db7379a63e.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 9C85 said:

Thanks a lot for the kind words. I capture everything on my phone which is a Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo. It is nothing special and, of the five phones in our household, it probably has the lowest quality camera, but it does what I need it to do.

The 47 was reblown from factory fitted to Legomanbiffo v4. I had it done at Doncaster show just before lockdown. It is a very good piece of kit. The drivelock and the working brake are great for a shunting layout.  At £24 for a reblow, I would recommend it to anyone. 

I would like to get all my locos sound fitted but it would cost £150 to fit in the Class 25, which is almost twice what I paid for the loco in the first place :o

I’m inspired enough to go have a proper go at making some videos with the iphone now!

I have both a biffo and a Howes fitted 47; not sure which I prefer and I can’t recall either making that thrumming noise that yours does!

New sound units are about £110 from Howes and a doddle to fit, especially the 25. I can probably get you some fitting photos if you’re tempted to have a go. 

25 minutes ago, 61656 said:

I’m inspired enough to go have a proper go at making some videos with the iphone now!

I have both a biffo and a Howes fitted 47; not sure which I prefer and I can’t recall either making that thrumming noise that yours does!

New sound units are about £110 from Howes and a doddle to fit, especially the 25. I can probably get you some fitting photos if you’re tempted to have a go. 

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it .

When I had the 47 reblown, I was given advice on how to make the factory fitted speaker enclosure airtight with blu-tak. I had that much hassle taking off and refitting the bodyshell that I swore I would never do it again. The cabside windows fell out and are still missing on the non-viewing side of the loco.  One is now in the loco box, waiting for when I am brave enough to have a go at refitting it, and I think/hope the other is still inside one of the cabs :o

When I first got the 25, I was curious as to why the directional lighting didn't work. According to an online database, it should have it. 

I got the bodyshell off but managed to break, or I suspect re-break, a couple of wires from the decoder which had been twisted back together. Luckily my soldering has improved enough to get everything working again. IIRC the 25 wasn't as bad to get back together, but I don't know where you would put a speaker? Also it's an 8-pin decoder if that makes a difference to the Howes system I could use? 

And after all that, there are no lights fitted to the 25 :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

All the DCC sound manufacturers make all the necessary combinations, and there’s definitely an 8 pin option for the 25, as mine is too. Speakers seem to be best mounted either under the fan or in the fuel tank. I’ll try and get some pictures of mine; I’ve had to reduce the volume on all of them to keep the “neighbours” happy!

Given what else you’ve taken on a body shell and chassis is clearly within your capability. And if it all goes wrong there’s very little that can’t be fixed with superglue, solder or beer...

• Like 2

Bachmann 47 body is a pain due the tabs that locate in recesses below the cab doors internal glazing.

First thing I do is get rid of those , as below, thus relying on the screws to keep the body on rather than these tabs.

4853C4DC-99D1-4B24-B42B-747F7C433BA7.png

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Bachmann 47 body is a pain due the tabs that locate in recesses below the cab doors internal glazing.

First thing I do is get rid of those , as below, thus relying on the screws to keep the body on rather than these tabs.

Likewise.

A screw is all you need!

Mike.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

So in this picture, was the tab part of the blue bodyshell above (in the picture, so below in normal use) the door glazing ?

10 hours ago, 9C85 said:

So in this picture, was the tab part of the blue bodyshell above (in the picture, so below in normal use) the door glazing ?

Yes, the bottom  bit Of the opaque white door glazing, you can see the outline where it’s been shipped off 

Edited by rob D2
  • Thanks 1

On 16/05/2020 at 17:05, 5BarVT said:

Hope you don’t mind me asking a slightly OT question.  When did the WR namers plates go from black to red?  Was it when green went to blue, or sometime later in TOPS numbered days?

Paul.

Hello, I was just reading through this blog again and noticed your question from waaaaay back.

Apologies for not replying sooner. 

I have just looked on Fox Transfers site and it looks like name plates went from Black to Red when BR Blue livery came in, and then Odin went back to black when it was renumbered to 47 842 (is that a RES number? Not sure).

Hope this helps.  Cheers. 

• Thanks 1

This evening, I took the plunge into airbrush weathering.  I decided that if I was going to mix up a cup of paint, I ìmay as well use it all up.  So I thought that if the first one went well, I would do all of my NPCCS. The first job was to give everything a few coats of Humbrol Black Wash and clean some off with cotton buds.  Then I went a bit mad and crushed up some standard white chalk and brush it in to some parts, then I eventually had a go with the airbrush using Railmatch Sleeper Grime, thinned with Humbrol Enamel Thinners to probably not far off a 1:1 ratio. I found this to be really good to work with as it took several passes to register a thick coat, so a lot of variation was possible. 

Given the trials and tribulations I have had with the airbrush since I got it, I am both surprised and delighted with how it has turned out.  This was the maroon GUV I got a couple of weeks ago, alongside the BG that I black washed a few months ago ....20200714_215610.jpg.072ae69a32127a89dce8c70e0530f273.jpg

I went on to weather all the blue parcels stock in a similar fashion,  and Sleeper Grime the underframes of any loose-coupled Blue Grey stock that I could get my hands on.

I will try and film a procession of the weathered Parcels/Newspapers stock put it on my YouTube channel. 

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Your weathering has turned out well.  Glad to hear you’ve mastered the airbrush.

I usually add a few spots of grease on the bogies to add a bit of colour variety and some ‘roof dirt’ on the roof. Here are a couple I did recently.

B483F7F4-0AA8-4AC7-8D0F-A6B38EE49F6F.jpeg.7b51516811eec188eabded547d03f82c.jpeg68146C4E-C558-4AEC-8D29-83549D397FB0.jpeg.aac1734927f2ae9a7dab28ce5407d060.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1

On 11/07/2020 at 20:28, Enterprisingwestern said:

Likewise.

A screw is all you need!

Mike.

That is until you realise that the thread has failed on the cab inserts and the front droops down and the additional brake parts catch the buffer beam on curves. The Bachmann class 47 is a nice loco but horribly designed regarding the body fitment.  Lima got it spot on with the buffers holding the chassis and body together. 

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, ColinK said:

Your weathering has turned out well.  Glad to hear you’ve mastered the airbrush.

I usually add a few spots of grease on the bogies to add a bit of colour variety and some ‘roof dirt’ on the roof. Here are a couple I did recently.

B483F7F4-0AA8-4AC7-8D0F-A6B38EE49F6F.jpeg.7b51516811eec188eabded547d03f82c.jpeg68146C4E-C558-4AEC-8D29-83549D397FB0.jpeg.aac1734927f2ae9a7dab28ce5407d060.jpeg

I don't reckon much to your Clayton or AC railbuses!

Weathering is rather good though.

Mike.

• Funny 2

20200719_122620.jpg.6c079a1eb0b06f6a928f748d053a08a1.jpg

Little job #1 for today.... I have given each if the three girder bridges a coat of Halfords grey primer from a rattle can.  I am yet to decide on what colour and how I am going to paint them.

• Like 3

On 16/05/2020 at 07:45, Coach bogie said:

Here is Odin  a couple of miles away on Longsight in 1980. Plates on both sides.

Mike Wiltshire2101241561_Longsight47081ODINlr.jpg.ee30f54a99aad6bbb85b6ae8529948bc.jpg

Today's small job #2....

Here is my Odin, named (without ceremony) this afternoon...

20200719_131840.jpg.30575072935560b53333efac4ed8a8b1.jpg

20200719_131739.jpg.92c10f80bb4d3728fdd02b38ffe5d7aa.jpg

Shame about the missing cab windows on one side, but being a shelf layout, I can get away with it. 

Thanks to Mike Wiltshire for putting up the great shots of Odin at Longsight in the era of my layout.  It was a great help in locating the nameplates.  

I keep mentioning my big hands and dodgy eyesight,  but I took my time and got all the tools I needed to do the job. I found cocktail sticks are great for applying tiny amounts of superglue to the small nameplates.  Thinking about it, I probably couldn't have picked a shorter name :rolleyes: ...I will do 'George Jackson Churchward' next :D (only joking).

I am quite pleased with how it's going so far.  I think I should give the loco a coat of Testors Dullcote before I weather it?

I wanted a Canton 'namer' as my best man's dad was a fitter there in the 60s, 70s and 80s. I have sent my mate these pictures and told him that his old man (RIP) would have probably worked on the real thing.... he may even have put the nameplates on :rolleyes:

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, 9C85 said:

Here is my Odin, named (without ceremony) this afternoon...

You’re  achieving prototype accuracy too (from class47.co.uk):

”D1666 ~ ODIN ~ At Cardiff Canton MPD without any ceremony March 12th 1965 ~ The first of the class to be named”

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Grammer!

4 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Your achieving prototype accuracy too (from class47.co.uk):

”D1666 ~ ODIN ~ At Cardiff Canton MPD without any ceremony March 12th 1965 ~ The first of the class to be named”

Paul.

Thanks.  That is where I got the 'without ceremony ' phrase :D

• Like 1