Burchill Edge Sidings - BR Blue Carriage/NPCCS Sidings, with a nod to Manchester Red Bank & Bristol Malago Vale

9C85

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, 9C85 said:

Hello, yes they are the ones I have been using and got mixed results.

I am contemplating trying again but will probably give these coaches up as a bad job and try weathering them intto anonymity

Oh, sorry to hear that. What do you mean by mixed results (sorry if I've missed an earlier comment).  I have always got on well with Railtec, and they generally have a far better finish because of the lack of a carrier film.

Is it worth putting them to one side for a couple of months and then trying with a fresh attempt, rather than giving up and having something your not happy with?

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 9C85 said:

and try weathering them intto anonymity

Which is exactly what BR did with most of their parcels stock.

I've been putting the stickers on my GUV, totally forgetting from previous attempts that the details on the sides are in the wrong place, especially the door bumpers which begger up the positioning of the lower transfers especially, I've cut them off and replaced them before, but memory fade kicked in, Doh!!.

Could this have been the problem you had with your transfers not sitting down maybe?

Mike.

3 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Oh, sorry to hear that. What do you mean by mixed results (sorry if I've missed an earlier comment).  I have always got on well with Railtec, and they generally have a far better finish because of the lack of a carrier film.

Is it worth putting them to one side for a couple of months and then trying with a fresh attempt, rather than giving up and having something your not happy with?

Rich

I have done two GUVs previously which I was happy with until overzealous masking tape lifted some off.

The latest two are almost entirely pilot error.  I inadvertently used luke warm water on the first couple of Newspapers transfers which more or less destroyed them. Then I ended up 'silvering ' (apparently) another two data panels.  The Railtec Pack only contains enough Newspapers branding for three coaches and, after applying Testors Dullcote to seal them, it had precisely the opposite effect and lifted most off, with only one Newspapers transfer remaining on one GUV. 

I have since been advised to use Klear/multi surface wax as a bed for waterslide transfers.  I am reluctant to spend almost a tenner to get another 3 Newspapers coach worths, leaving me with three sheets of Express Parcels/Motorail etc. which I may never use. At least the 'Return to Manchester Red Bank' sheet is dedicated to that particular cause.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Which is exactly what BR did with most of their parcels stock.

I've been putting the stickers on my GUV, totally forgetting from previous attempts that the details on the sides are in the wrong place, especially the door bumpers which begger up the positioning of the lower transfers especially, I've cut them off and replaced them before, but memory fade kicked in, Doh!!.

Could this have been the problem you had with your transfers not sitting down maybe?

Mike.

Yes, possibly.  I referred to the excellent Paul Bartlett website and immediately found that things didn't fit where they should.  

It ended up being a 'near enough is good enough ' job. I doubt Lima ever envisaged grumpy old men like me complaining about them this much :huh:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 23/08/2020 at 20:29, 9C85 said:

Not much progress to report.  I have had the last 10 days off work including visiting family and friends in South Wales, a bit of a city break in Durham, and a garden DIY project using 'railway sleepers'. They're not even the real thing but weigh 30-50kg each, so my back is a bit tight to say the least.

I did get my ground signal back from Traintech and they have done a really good job of repairing my failed attempt at gluing the front and back sections together. No light leaks whatsoever.  I will be sure to order my remaining signals pre-assembled.

I know I set out to create a solely BR Blue era layout, with a run down inner city feel, and I am really pleased with my weathering efforts on both the track and the rolling stock, but I wouldn't mind adding a splash of colour or 'bling'

I was thinking today about having something like the Manchester Pullman visit the sidings to give a bit of variety  (albeit just a reversal of the blue grey scheme).

The obvious sticking point is that that my layout is diesel-only. But I could justify the Pullman by using the 08 or 25 to drag the stock on or off scene. I have even contemplated adding catenary to at least the arrival/departure road and the reception siding so that I could have AC electrics quietly roaring on and off the layout. 

I was under the impression that the Manchester Pullman train was just 'tarted up' standard MkII aircon stock, but it is unique to the Pullman - the number of windows being the obvious difference. 

I will probably have to settle for some relatively clean MkII aircon stock to lift the gloom a bit. 

Every day's a school day .

I am now seriously contemplating extending my time period a few years into Intercity corporate livery era.

I would like a few MkIIe and MkIIf to visit the sidings, but the Hornby ones are the wrong colour blue and the Bachmann ones are silly money. 

Hornby Intercity MkIIe are available for just over £30, which is about the top end of what I have paid so far for a coach. Plus it would add a bit of variety to the drabness of the sidings.  I also have a soft spot for 47's in Intercity and Scotrail livery, 

Edited by 9C85
Typo

• RMweb Premium

Surely the whole point of building a layout based on Red Bank is the drabness? To me, that's the appeal of a layout like this.

For excitement and Mk2s visit Manchester Longsight! How about adding a failed DMU waiting a path to Newton Heath?

Steven B.

On 24/09/2020 at 13:10, Steven B said:

Surely the whole point of building a layout based on Red Bank is the drabness? To me, that's the appeal of a layout like this.

For excitement and Mk2s visit Manchester Longsight! How about adding a failed DMU waiting a path to Newton Heath?

Steven B.

Fair enough.  I probably haven't explained it correctly but I am not trying to replicate Red Bank, just trying to replicate what would be happening in a carriage sidings which would have been busy around the early 80s, and have Newspapers trains going back to Red Bank. 

I would like a rake including 3 or 4 Bachmann Blue Grey MkII aircon stock to run in and out but I have just been on eBay and, even second hand, they are stupid money. I reckon I could get a DCC sound fitted Class 40/45/46 for the cost of two or three Bachmann coaches. I might continue my policy of buying cheap Lima GUVs and making them look miserable. 

I managed to grab an hour this evening just bringing ECS trains and light engines in and out of the sidings , and I found myself thinking 'I love this layout '. 

Which, after all, is the whole point. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 9C85 said:

I managed to grab an hour this evening just bringing ECS trains and light engines in and out of the sidings , and I found myself thinking 'I love this layout '. 

Which, after all, is the whole point. 

Spot on, and really good to hear.

Paul.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

HR-Archive-Newspaper-Trains3.jpg.066f44bbc529d97c44160d864e8045a8.jpg

I found this image on the Internet today, dated 1978.

Opens up a few more possibilities for upgrading older  (cheap) models. I have got one 50ft ex-LMS BG and a few Mk1 CCTs, but I may look at getting some wooden bodied ex-SR 4-wheeled stuff too.  I have modified all of my blue Parcels/Newspapers stock with new wheelsets and Kadees but I  am yet to build a kit. Perhaps a Parkside CCT would be a good place to start.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 24/09/2020 at 22:10, Steven B said:

Steven B.

Mk2 Aircons for Anglo-Scottish services would also be stabled / cleaned at Red Bank.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 01/10/2020 at 00:37, 9C85 said:

HR-Archive-Newspaper-Trains3.jpg.066f44bbc529d97c44160d864e8045a8.jpg

And another thing....

That background.... wow!

I might try lifting that in Photoshop and using it as part of the scenic break at the left hand end of the layout 

Edited by 9C85
Typo

The first test of the newly weathered GUVs (the two with the peeling roof effect - courtesy of a patches of red oxide paint covered with blu-tak prior to overspraying with Roof Dirt. I will acknowledge the suggestee when I have dug out their post on this site).

Also the first run of 47 081 'Odin' in its weathered state. I think I have overdone it a bit, but at least it's no longer a job that I keep putting off, and it ties in with the rest of the stock on the layout. 

I think I will try to concentrate on infrastructure for the next few weeks - kit-bashing and airbrushing is far too stressful for a man of my age and ability :o

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

33 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Others may know better, but I thought the roof was made of galvanised steel or some such, and wouldn't weather to, rust, more silver grey ish, at least I'm hoping so, that's what I've done! Fingers crossed.

Mike.

I was going to leave it as Halfords grey primer but decided this morning to put some patches of red oxide on it. I might just give it another coat of roof dirt all over 

15 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Others may know better, but I thought the roof was made of galvanised steel or some such, and wouldn't weather to, rust, more silver grey ish, at least I'm hoping so, that's what I've done! Fingers crossed.

Mike.

20201006_112256.jpg.99399ae0ce0256297cb1a0fe360b1733.jpg

I have just been into the garage, saw the GUVs and had the brainwave of applying some T-Cut to the end of a cocktail stick, scraping away at the red oxide paint, and cleaning up with a cotton bud.  I think it looks better but there's a slight glossy border where the T-Cut has been.  I gave a quick coat of Testors to one roof but I am going to walk away from this project now. 

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

In between trying to decide what to do with the white roof on the newest addition to the layout, I have had a couple of nice shunting sessions this weekend. 

I can now use the 25 as the ECS workhorse between the off-scene 'station a mile or so down the line' (the headshunt for the hidden sidings).

The 45 and 47 either arrive from the North East dragging their ECS, or light engine (following the 25 and the ECS) if they've travelled up from the South West . The 08 is used to drop coaches onto locos in the yard sidings for trains heading North East, and to marshal the NPCCS. 

Trains bound for the South West are taken ECS to the station by the 25, followed by either the Peak or the 47 which will drop on the stock and drag it back out southbound (ie to the hidden sidings). The 25 then returns to the yard light engine. 

A couple of pictures from this afternoon. 

I thought the first one has a bit of a 'Guide Bridge Stabling Point ' feel to it?

20201101_163124.jpg.b27e58a83635c9f7f062602da7dd88c2.jpg

20201101_163712.jpg.0eeae9124d6c2a01fb0bb44914174eb7.jpg

I am really pleased with the 'playability ' of the layout.  I am yet to make full use of the shunting capabilities of the NPCCS but I did a quick test of the Kadee delayed-action couplings today and all but two worked as advertised first time, and they were sorted with a screwdriver and some GT85.  Good times.

Edited by 9C85
Added info for hidden sidings
  • Like 9

9 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

Nice.

I do like the 'ordinariness' of your layout.

Nothing flash or fancy going on, just BR going about the day to day business,

cheers

Hiya Rivercider, nice to hear from you again.  I really enjoyed your thread on South Wales freight in the 80s - brought back so many memories of my youth.

Your comment means a lot to me - I am trying to recreate what I saw as a kid. Totally anonymous, mundane, dirty trains doing everyday work, with the only excitement being if the loco was a 'Namer'. I am really happy that I chose a carriage sidings as a subject - it allows plenty of scope for operation.

Thanks again 

• Like 3