Burchill Edge Sidings - BR Blue Carriage/NPCCS Sidings, with a nod to Manchester Red Bank & Bristol Malago Vale

9C85

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, 9C85 said:

You make a very good point, Mike (no pun intended).

I think a small shunter's cabin/ mess room may be more suitable? I have seen photos of one at the eastern end of Red Bank.

PS I am gearing up to start GUV bashing again, so  I look forward to getting the envelope 

I didn't want to criticise but Mike may be right, although perhaps the box dominates because it isn't toned down yet?  However a smaller 'box may be appropriate as there actually isn't that much to control, you don't need a 30-40 lever 'box.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just for my two-penneth, wouldn't the box be situated on the mainline, controlling that and the entrance/exit to the sidings so would be out of sight on your layout?  I would have thought a small ground frame might be employed for the exit turnouts and hand levers elsewhere.

Roja

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

20210110_215537.jpg.18efc39d1a9834efe7b36318ee9414fb.jpg

Kadees fitted.  They need a bit of tweaking,  but these two additions represent a 20 percent increase in my serviceable NPCCS stock.

Weathering shop next... might get out the airbrush later this week. 

• Like 7

On 18/05/2020 at 13:46, montyburns56 said:

Do you have enough stock to replicate this? :D

img86-094

20210111_200400.jpg.ed295b18d3ec6f41415606a732f720a6.jpg

The sidings pretty much as full as they can get - the road with the Peak on it is the exchange kickback siding to either the arrival/departure road or the main yard head shunt. The 47 is on the loco layover siding/cripple road which kicks back to either the fuelling point or, again, the main yard headshunt.

Incidentally,  this picture shows all my current stock. 

20210111_200431.jpg.37ad7b5fe4bac6a9c92d73174b1e9b99.jpg

The view from the access road bridge.

• Like 12

On 10/01/2021 at 22:07, 9C85 said:

20210110_215537.jpg.18efc39d1a9834efe7b36318ee9414fb.jpg

Has anyone got any evidence of these vans ever wearing Express Parcels or Newspapers branding? 

...and yes, I have consulted the fount of all knowledge.... Paul Bartlett's website. 

On 22/01/2021 at 10:58, 9C85 said:

20210122_104614.jpg.984fb1744be735b2e4888b2ebd541dda.jpg

The latest subject for adaptation to run on the layout. 

I have to take my hat off to the people at Replica Railways.  I was all set for an hour of masking up the bodyshell of the BG ready for priming and painting BR blue.

Not only did I find that the corridor vestibules are a push-fit, but the glazing strips are clipped in place by a couple of lugs each side, and secured with the tiniest spots of glue.  So all I need to do is mask off the roof and buffer beams... and there I was  all set for my first ever attempt at using Maskol.

20210123_150507.jpg.67a2d1f8ce35f7c55e86e3558aa065e2.jpg

• Like 4

I was desperate to make some progress on the Replica BG this afternoon, but after getting lucky with the masking, I reached for the primer and noticed the rattle can was at the same temperature as I like a can of lager from the fridge.  I heeded the advice previously given to me on this thread and forgot about painting today. 

I decided to have a go at fitting the Kadees. I always start off enthusiastically but soon get frustrated by the tiny components and my massive fingers and deteriorating eyesight. I also need to get a decent mini drill. I bought a cheap one off Ebay and there is absolutely no torque in it whatsoever.  A guitarist friend of mine had a saying 'buy cheap, buy twice'. 

I had just enough components in my Kadee box to fit two couplings,  but one of the box 'lids' has been used before and the internal cylinder has expanded which means that the coupling isn't as free as it should be.  It all works but I will probably replace that coupling when I get some more. I also managed to snap off a buffer when removing the masking tape that had been applied earlier... and razor saw a fine groove in my thumb.

I am now going to the fridge for a nice can of primer-cold lager.

20210123_173144.jpg

Edited by 9C85
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

On 22/01/2021 at 10:58, 9C85 said:

20210122_104614.jpg.984fb1744be735b2e4888b2ebd541dda.jpg

The latest subject for adaptation to run on the layout. 

20210127_203143.jpg.361eb237171dba1f3962e43543ab5221.jpg

I have finally managed to get the shed (and a rattle can of Halfords Grey Plastic Primer) just about warm enough to make some progress with the repaint of the BG. The next stage is all-over Rail Blue, but this time I am going to try applying it via airbrush rather than rattle can. I noticed my 'spray booth ' (i.e. Cardboard box) has probably got enough Railmatch BR Blue overspray on it to do another 6 GUVs, so I am going to see if the airbrush is less wasteful. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

20210129_192816.jpg.f37f2df83581c7a8284701836f6f15ce.jpg

20210129_192828.jpg.357b6107963f76c58d02771995815749.jpg

My first attempt at applying full livery with an airbrush (as opposed to just weathering).  The first challenge was refreshing my memory on how the airbrush goes together.  I swapped the fitted 0.3mm nozzle with a 0.5mm. When I first tested the operation, air was coming out of the nozzle all the time.  The trigger was not springing shut after being released. It was remedied by dismantling the air inlet and trigger and applying some GT85 via the straw on the can.

The next hurdle was getting the paint consistency right. I think it may have been slightly on the thin side, but I was conscious of not trying to do the job in one coat. I was quite pleased with how the job was going until the bodyshell fell off the paint can and onto the dusty cardboard beneath it :o  I instinctively grabbed for the coach and you can see the finger marks on both sides.  I told myself to worry about it tomorrow and finished the job as best I could.  I reckon I should be able to clean up the marks with some fine grade wet and dry paper or wire wool? ...both of which I have. 

I also think another coat will even out the finish.  In any case, as with all my NPCCS, it's going to be heavily weathered, but I might make this one look a little less roadworn than the GUVs alongside it.

The final step was cleaning the airbrush and getting it ready for work again tomorrow. 

Typing that last bit has got me comparing Rattle Can v Airbrush in the same way as Diesel v Steam - one is a lot less hassle than the other, but the other's worth the effort when it works well. 

Edited by 9C85
Butchers' apostrophe's
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Suitably inspired by your efforts I’m about to embark on my own repainting adventure. I think all over rail blue is a good place to start!

Is your steam versus diesel debate concluded on airbrush being worth the outlay and effort? 

• Like 1

20210130_183405.jpg.8a53313a8da70c6e23637d7e408dec7f.jpg

20210130_183431.jpg.d6d2815f1dd122107337775756e1b130.jpg

It was a much colder and damper day today but I wanted to get the second coat onto the BG, so I got my portable radiator out of the garage and into the shed again and let it warm up for an hour before reaching for the airbrush. 

The first job was to tidy up the marks where I had handled the bodyshell after it fell off the can yesterday.  I started with fine grade wire wool, but the 'wet and dry' (I got for doing the Laserglaze) did a better job. 

I was in a bit of a rush, which is never a good position to be in when doing something I am not confident in doing, but I was determined to get the second coat on. 

The airbrush worked well but I think (know) that my paint mix was too thick today, which was probably exacerbated by the cold weather. 

I eventually got to a point where I was happy enough with the coverage. I kept reminding myself that there probably won't be a piece of this coach not covered in a coat of grime and/or dirt when I have finished with it.

So, next stop for this coach is a couple of days in the airing cupboard or other warm area of the house, then transfers (I think I am going to give this coach a split personality - Newspapers one side, anonymous blue on the other). Then I will Dulcote the coach to seal the transfers, airbrush sleeper grime onto the underframe, roof dirt onto the errm.. roof, then go at it with the Tamiya weathering powders.  Should be done by April at this rate :D

• Like 10

8 hours ago, 61656 said:

Suitably inspired by your efforts I’m about to embark on my own repainting adventure. I think all over rail blue is a good place to start!

Is your steam versus diesel debate concluded on airbrush being worth the outlay and effort? 

I am a bit humbled to hear that my efforts have inspired you 61656... I have just had a quick look at your layout thread and it is a lovely piece of work. Your choice of era and the operating potential of your layout is right up my street.  I have mentioned earlier in my thread that I am contemplating adding catenary to at least the arrival/departure road of my layout, so I can have an AC Electric roaring on and off occasionally. 

As for the airbrush, everything I have read about them on this forum is true... they can be the most terrifying pieces of equipment to put near your favourite, most expensive loco, but they can also be the best way of recreating the grime and dirt you remember seeing daily on British Railways.

As with all tools, the more often you use them, the more confident you get.  It's been quite a while since I last used it and I was quite nervous yesterday and today. I remember last year I got to the point where I was looking forward to getting the airbrush out,  and I was weathering everything in sight. 

I am not convinced that in my hands it is the best method for painting an entire coach side - I have had good results with Railmatch Blue Blue rattle cans, but I am going to persevere with the airbrush for weathering my stock.

I had a disaster with the airbrush when I  tried weathering my Class 47 (psyched myself out), but was delighted to read on this forum that there's always the option to reach for the T-Cut and start again.

This weekend's efforts have been a lot just to paint one coach, especially when you take into account the time and cost of filling and cleaning an airbrush, twice... but the next jobs I have lined up for it involve multiple coaches.  By my reckoning, I have four Mk1 Pullmans, two ex-LMS BGs, a Mk2 TSO and this latest Mk1 BG which will all require a blast of Sleeper Grime and Roof Dirt in various quantities. By the time I have finished those, I may again be adequately proficient with the airbrush. 

I found an N gauge layout on this forum this morning which has some of the most inspiring scenic work on it. Without the contributions of all the members of RMWeb, there is no way that I would have had the confidence to have a go with an airbrush. Now I have seen your layout 61656, I am contemplating building my own track on my next* layout - a curved double-slip though? ...that's just showing off :D

*never gonna happen 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 9C85 said:

I am a bit humbled to hear that my efforts have inspired you 61656... I have just had a quick look at your layout thread and it is a lovely piece of work. Your choice of era and the operating potential of your layout is right up my street.  I have mentioned earlier in my thread that I am contemplating adding catenary to at least the arrival/departure road of my layout, so I can have an AC Electric roaring on and off occasionally. 

Now I have seen your layout 61656, I am contemplating building my own track on my next* layout - a curved double-slip though? ...that's just showing off :D

*never gonna happen 

Thanks! Mainly I’m all big ideas and slow progress! Most of the track wasn’t built by me, it came from Marcway. I definitely think it’s worth the money, because if you can lay it straight it does look good. 

A curved double slip probably wasn’t the obvious choice for my first hand built point, but it has worked out well. I think layouts like yours show it’s worth having a go, you can always get the metaphorical t-cut out! I’ve been inspired by lots of the stuff on RMWeb, usually when someone achieves a great result but in a way which makes you think you could do it too. 

I’m sure you’ll be on your 4th or 5th layout by the time I get some wires up!

• Like 2