Burchill Edge Sidings - BR Blue Carriage/NPCCS Sidings, with a nod to Manchester Red Bank & Bristol Malago Vale

9C85

It's nice to be back and see some familiar usernames again. Each time I go in the garage, I look at the layout and it does make me feel happy that I have done the best I can with it. There's loads of stuff I could do to improve it, and I probably will some day, but for now it's nice to just reflect and appreciate the work that I put into it a year or so ago. 

• Like 3

On 07/10/2021 at 08:25, 61656 said:

I hadn’t spotted the signals previously - is there just the one ground position light?

Yes. Just the one at the moment.  It allows locos to come off the fuelling point and onto the shorter siding nearest the front of the layout.  I like it as it's partially hidden by the girder bridges, so  I have to get down near track level to view it. The people from Traintech were really good as I made a mess of the kit. They sent me an assembled one as a replacement. 

I reckon I  need another  three ground signals to  allow realistic operation,  plus I need to install point control on the visible side of the layout,  so plenty of little jobs to dip in and out of.

• Like 3

A bit more 'work' done this evening. 

My repainted BG was jarring on me as it stood out in its ex-works condition.

It's amazing what a bit of a break does as I'd had enough of the coach by the time I got it serviceable.  Tonight I saw the coach in its train, grabbed the Tamiya weathering powders,  and went at it with brushes and buds. I am not sure if I have overdone it, but it can be removed if I don't like it.

A before and after shot for reference.

20211011_173403.jpg.9ee9b1a11c626b8dc9e2f70b64b14c5b.jpg

20211011_180141.jpg.5f862d2c4f49982b849f603ae1bccc42.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

14 minutes ago, 9C85 said:

It's amazing what a bit of a break does as I'd had enough of the coach by the time I got it serviceable.  Tonight I saw the coach in its train, grabbed the Tamiya weathering powders,  and went at it with brushes and buds. I am not sure if I have overdone it, but it can be removed if I don't like it.

GUVs got filthy but I'm not sure about newspaper BGS.

the only thing I'd do is put it upside Down and make sure the powder gets up to the roof level as it looks like a patch 

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

GUVs got filthy but I'm not sure about newspaper BGS.

the only thing I'd do is put it upside Down and make sure the powder gets up to the roof level as it looks like a patch 

The more I look at it, the less happy I am with it. Nothing major,  but I will probably revisit it. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, 9C85 said:

I'd suggest the windows need weathering too, the dirt seemed to get ingrained even if the bodysides were cleaned the windows remained filthy - perhaps they were dirty on the inside too

• Agree 3

A few questions about brake vans... I want to get a brake van to tag onto my Class 08 in order to legitimately allow it out onto the main line up to Burchill Station on stock moves.

I need to get one with NEM pockets so I can fit Kadees to it.

I have seen a nice weathered example on ebay but underneath the grime, it's in grey livery. IIRC grey denotes 'unfitted' stock? ...although I never quite got my head around how an unfitted brake van worked? ..unless it simply added resistance at the rear of the train to stop wagons bunching up?

In any case,  I suspect an unfitted brake  van would not be correct to use with coaching or parcels stock?

So I assume I need a bauxite example? ..although when did the Railfreight grey and red stripe livery appear on brake vans? ..my layout era is nominally 1980s. Thanks for any advice. 

I don’t think railfreight red and grey ever got to brake vans .

I've seen mainly bauxite in 80s.

im not sure you’d need one to propel carriages , there would be local agreements about the method of working but quite often I’ve seen a guard in the rear carriage waving the driver on in accordance with signals 

• Agree 1

I think you may be right.  I tagged the BG on to the other end of the 'papers train last night for just that reason :-)

It's the potential light engine moves between the station and yard that I am trying to cover.

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

im not sure you’d need one to propel carriages , there would be local agreements about the method of working but quite often I’ve seen a guard in the rear carriage waving the driver on in accordance with signals 

I read that and thought, "But I've got at least two Hornby ones in that livery", then remembered that Hornby haven't always been completely accurate when it comes to liveries.

However, Paul Bartlett is, as so often, the source of truth: 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakediag507 

• Informative/Useful 1

48 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I read that and thought, "But I've got at least two Hornby ones in that livery", then remembered that Hornby haven't always been completely accurate when it comes to liveries.

However, Paul Bartlett is, as so often, the source of truth: 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakediag507 

I stand corrected , cheers .

I could remember some in RES red and grey but not those 

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

The blue 08 station pilot at Bristol Temple Meads always had a railfreight liveried brake van whilst shunting parcels stock around the station area. Until it got painted parcels livery along with an 08. I do have lots of pictures from the early 90's somewhere, looking worn and faded, but on slides and are stored away whilst I'm refurbishing my man cave.

If and when I can get to them I'll post them up for you.

Paul

Edited by Joner
Added more info
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Joner said:

The blue 08 station pilot at Bristol Temple Meads always had a railfreight liveried brake van whilst shunting parcels stock around the station area. Until it got painted parcels livery along with an 08. I do have lots of pictures from the early 90's somewhere, looking worn and faded, but on slides and are stored away whilst I'm refurbishing my man cave.

If and when I can get to them I'll post them up for you.

Paul

This was discussed on another thread on here somewhere, including why it was needed. Possibly in the 'Modelling a Traditional Parcel Train' thread.

(A quick search reveals that it's been mentioned in several threads ...including this one !)

Edited by 03060
Extra info added.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I'm pretty sure I have a photo of one 1983 or 84 near Bristol Temple Meads attached to a blue 08 shunting the NPCCs or RM sidings?

AND I've now also seen Joner's post....

Edited by Gilbert

Thank you all for the reminders of the other parcels stock threads. I am sure that @Rivercider also covered the same subject and had photos of two 08s at Bristol, each with a brake van but at opposite ends of the loco, presumably for working (nominally) opposite ends of the station. I am hovering over some 'Buy it now' buttons as I type this.

• Friendly/supportive 3

On 18/10/2021 at 07:39, Gilbert said:

I'm pretty sure I have a photo of one 1983 or 84 near Bristol Temple Meads attached to a blue 08 shunting the NPCCs or RM sidings?

AND I've now also seen Joner's post....

The red and grey came to certain brakevans on the end of the Fiddler's Ferry MGR trains in Warrington.
These trains had a brace od 20's on the front and were reversed through Arpley yard before heading under the WCM at Bank Quay Station.
I think they were dedicated to these trains.
Chris.

Edited by Sandhole
  • Like 2