Burchill Edge Sidings - BR Blue Carriage/NPCCS Sidings, with a nod to Manchester Red Bank & Bristol Malago Vale

9C85

• RMweb Premium

Hope that you don't mind @9C85 but thought that this might be of interest to yourself and other followers of this thread.

https://shop.keypublishing.com/product/View/productCode/SPECMODBR/Modelling British Railways

Have only just found out about this new bookazine and as Simon's previous works have been excellent I ordered this one without hesitation.

Regards,

Ian.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, 03060 said:

Hope that you don't mind @9C85 but thought that this might be of interest to yourself and other followers of this thread.

https://shop.keypublishing.com/product/View/productCode/SPECMODBR/Modelling British Railways

Have only just found out about this new bookazine and as Simon's previous works have been excellent I ordered this one without hesitation.

Regards,

Ian.

Absolutely no problem at all.

The more information/inspiration, the better, as far as I am concerned. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 9C85 said:

20211114_120915.jpg.44c2a6692cd78d6b99b4bc5178317592.jpg

I am pleased with how this has come out.  I will probably add some weathering powders and dry brushing later this week to complete the look.

20211114_172517.jpg.2fc150c5baa15bfe6dd60266242b0c42.jpg

I couldn't wait to get the weathering powders out on this one, so I have just done this.

I've tried to use a bit of white on the sides to replicate the crossed-out chalk-written load destinations from previous trips. 

I am now going to do the Newspapers BG now and call it a day... a good one at that. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, 9C85 said:

20211114_172517.jpg.2fc150c5baa15bfe6dd60266242b0c42.jpg

I couldn't wait to get the weathering powders out on this one, so I have just done this.

I've tried to use a bit of white on the sides to replicate the crossed-out chalk-written load destinations from previous trips. 

I am now going to do the Newspapers BG now and call it a day... a good one at that. 

Cambridge Custom Transfers produce chalk marks and I’ve used them on some of my stock. 

• Informative/Useful 1

20211117_192353.jpg.3d37d5f80955f9cfe49a90dbd4f98df3.jpg

So much for trying to improve things... I was trying to retrofit some Bachmann Mk1 bogies to one of my Lima GUVs.  This requires removal of the roof to insert a washer and bolt above the floor for each bogie pivot (M5 x 16 bolt). I have done this previously on the one GUV I fitted with Laserglaze.  I prised one window strip free but the other side wouldn't budge. Eventually the inevitable happened and the roof cracked. Rather than calling it a day there, sheer bloody-mindedness took over and I got that roof off alright - well most of it anyway. 

I don't think there's much worth saving so it's going in the bin.

I think the issue is either the window strip has been glued in at some point or the weathering airbrushing and Dulcote had fixed the window strip to the coach body.

Either way, lesson learned. Whatever it is?

• Friendly/supportive 5

20211117_201412.jpg.d9de13bf52ddf27134d76fa4942775d1.jpg

What's the definition of insanity again?....

There was another Lima GUV within reaching distance so I decided to have a go at fitting the Bachmann Mk1 bogies. 

Got the roof off relatively easily and did a nice job tapping the pivot hole for the bolt.

I looked at the other Bachmann-bogied GUV and counted two washers between the top of the bogie and the coach floor. I fitted it all together and found that the wheels were catching on the floor. I then checked original coach and found three washers. So I took everything apart again and refitted the bogies.  This time they ran perfectly but then I checked the height of the Kadees. The result is in the photo above. 

Obviously, the correct diameter of the Bachmann wheels has lifted the coach floor.  The Kadees are permanently fixed to the floor via a plasticard boss so there's no way I can change their height. I decided to take everything off and refit the original Lima bogies. 

Not a very successful evening. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• Tempfix
2 hours ago, 9C85 said:

20211117_192353.jpg.3d37d5f80955f9cfe49a90dbd4f98df3.jpg

So much for trying to improve things... I was trying to retrofit some Bachmann Mk1 bogies to one of my Lima GUVs.  This requires removal of the roof to insert a washer and bolt above the floor for each bogie pivot (M5 x 16 bolt). I have done this previously on the one GUV I fitted with Laserglaze.  I prised one window strip free but the other side wouldn't budge. Eventually the inevitable happened and the roof cracked. Rather than calling it a day there, sheer bloody-mindedness took over and I got that roof off alright - well most of it anyway. 

I don't think there's much worth saving so it's going in the bin.

I think the issue is either the window strip has been glued in at some point or the weathering airbrushing and Dulcote had fixed the window strip to the coach body.

Either way, lesson learned. Whatever it is?

Don't feel bad - you won't be the first! I confess I have done this at least twice with Lima mk3s. Is it worth looking for a beaten up one on eBay to salvage a roof from?

Rich

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 9C85 said:

20211117_201412.jpg.d9de13bf52ddf27134d76fa4942775d1.jpg

What's the definition of insanity again?....

There was another Lima GUV within reaching distance so I decided to have a go at fitting the Bachmann Mk1 bogies. 

Got the roof off relatively easily and did a nice job tapping the pivot hole for the bolt.

I looked at the other Bachmann-bogied GUV and counted two washers between the top of the bogie and the coach floor. I fitted it all together and found that the wheels were catching on the floor. I then checked original coach and found three washers. So I took everything apart again and refitted the bogies.  This time they ran perfectly but then I checked the height of the Kadees. The result is in the photo above. 

Obviously, the correct diameter of the Bachmann wheels has lifted the coach floor.  The Kadees are permanently fixed to the floor via a plasticard boss so there's no way I can change their height. I decided to take everything off and refit the original Lima bogies. 

Not a very successful evening. 

I feel for your wasted evening as I had the same thing myself . Try cutting some slots in the floor above the wheels then you can do away with the washers 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, gismorail said:

I feel for your wasted evening as I had the same thing myself . Try cutting some slots in the floor above the wheels then you can do away with the washers 

I did think of that afterwards :O

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m liking your weathering - at least before you started breaking things! I haven’t yet broken anything too valuable, but several bits of rolling stock are no longer original. 

I have a GUV and Mk1 waiting for me to find the time to have a go at a gangwayed GUV - could you use this pre-modified one that you’ve engineered to have a go at some sort of conversion?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of images from my first session in a while.  Not doing much work on the layout these days. In fact, this evening I ended up ripping out another of my wire-in-tube point controls - that's three out of the original nine gone now. I should really look at motorising the yard points but I have been so busy this year with other 'real' stuff that I don't feel like making work for myself at the moment.  

20211219_161829.jpg.09d9b8c520d4d039a79abb7dc624c476.jpg

20211219_162730.jpg.d043082e19d7e01b1867c4d4df345f4e.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

Hello again! - if anyone's still there? I have been in the garage a few times over the Christmas holidays and the layout is just sitting there, untouched for over two years. At one point just after Christmas I decided that I was going to try and sell it,  but I talked myself out of it. I need to find time to give everything a good clean and have a decent running session. When I saw something on my YouTube feed for the 'new' TT120 scale stuff, that rekindled my interest in model railways - especially as PECO are doing track for it. I have also been contemplating going the other way and having a 7mm scale layout, but given the space I have I would inevitably get bored very quickly. Another option would be to try and get a continuous run around the garage, or at least a shelf along the three static walls. In fairness, the current layout does have some nice operating potential - I could switch its use to a goods yard or factory/quarry/steelworks/coal mine exchange sidings. Another option would be to keep it as an 80s carriage/parcels/newspapers sidings (my era and scenario of choice) and add OHLE to at least the arrival/departure road... I could then have an 86 or 87 popping on and off scene now and again. Hope everyone is well and enjoying the hobby... see you same time next year :-)

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again.  Following couple of years of neglect,  I am pleased to say that after a bit of track cleaning,  the layout worked pretty well.  I decided to use the cleaning session as an excuse to shunt trains around the sidings - cleaning the track vacated by each shunt move. I had to get everything out of the fiddle yard and the headshunt behind the retaining wall was festooned with cobwebs. I ended up with everything in the sidings  which I saw as a good photo opportunity. 

20230204_171237.jpg.4a774db7f28473e1226233dab65fae04.jpg

20230204_171043.jpg.cf73f1a931ccd1ad89e48c7af97f3ed6.jpg

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 2

• 10 months later...

Hello again. I hope you are all still enjoying the hobby. It's been 10 months since I last posted, which is a reflection on how much time I have had on the layout I.e. none. I got back into music after the covid hiatus and have been gigging regularly with my band. Next year I start a new venture as a solo acoustic act,  which will take up all the free time i want to allocate to it, so I have decided to dispose of the layout. It is a static shelf layout but the baseboard is in three sections,  so with a bit of razor saw surgery,  in theory it can be dismantled with minimal damage.

Ideally I would like to let it all go together (layout, stock and controller,) . I have no idea of a price yet.. I literally had this idea 10 minutes ago. It's in Chesterfield if anyone wants to come and look at it. Just message me and it can be arranged.  Alternatively,  can anyone recommend a dealer who will give a good honest price for the collection? Ta

• Friendly/supportive 5