Burchill Edge Sidings - BR Blue Carriage/NPCCS Sidings, with a nod to Manchester Red Bank & Bristol Malago Vale

9C85

• 2 weeks later...

I have hit a bit of a wall in terms of enthusiasm for my layout. I have even been flirting recently with the idea of switching to O gauge. The price of the Dapol 08 compares favourably with Bachmann OO gauge equivalents, but digging deeper, the cost of trackwork and rolling stock bumps it up to way beyond what I would be happy paying for a layout.

could sell my stock and look at selling my layout, but that would put me back to square one and I know that any monies gained from sales are more likely to be swallowed up by 'life' than 'leisure' activities. 

I always do this with projects - I research them thoroughly and am full of enthusiasm  during the early stages, then when things are acceptable but not finished, I lose enthusiasm and want to move on to something else.

In order to try and move things on a bit, l decided that I need just one more loco and it must have sound fitted.

I bid on a Hornby DCC sound, weathered Class 31 tonight, which would complete things nicely. I put in a cheeky but generous bid and up until the very last second thought I had won it.  Then I went on an online database and discovered that it was a Railroad model.  Then, when I reluctantly went back to Ebay to complete the purchase, I found that someone had outbid me

..by 10p:locomotive:

I will class that as a lucky escape but confirmation that I know what I want , but I should also not rush getting it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Don’t go getting disheartened at this stage - it’s just getting really good! Normally a trip to a model show (or someone else’s layout) would renew your enthusiasm, lockdown is a killer for boredom of the same thing. 

Hornby 31s are about the worst place to be looking right now. They’re a minefield of ringfields and mazak. 

After some ebay frustration including selling on a couple of purchasing errors, I settled for toffee apple 31102, which at least I know is the right version and should be rot free. I’ll be sound fitting it soon, so I can take some photos and you can maybe try for yourself? My desire for a 31/4 with headcode box will have to wait!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, 43110andyb said:

Or you could convert a Hornby 102 to a skinhead 31/4

22BF6AC4-A7FC-400D-9A3C-EDDB6A7351FB.jpeg

That is one of my options (if you see my layout thread you’ll be able to work out how soon such a conversion might happen!). Not many skinheads made it to /4 status - maybe just 3? I always like to model the everyday (like D200 and 97406...). 

Other than numbers and ETH jumpers what else needs doing?

PS 9C85 please excuse the blatant hi-jack of your thread!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 61656 said:

That is one of my options (if you see my layout thread you’ll be able to work out how soon such a conversion might happen!). Not many skinheads made it to /4 status - maybe just 3? I always like to model the everyday (like D200 and 97406...). 

Other than numbers and ETH jumpers what else needs doing?

PS 9C85 please excuse the blatant hi-jack of your thread!

Apologies also! As far as I could work out not a great deal more to be done! (I’m prepared to be shot down now!).

65A1B6F8-FF70-4149-A51B-E75ED1871523.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks for the encouragement, and please hi-jack away!  ...I have had to rein it in on a North Wales  Wales based layout today after rambling about 33s on the Pompey service. 

Due to circumstances totally beyond my control, I found myself with lots of free time this weekend and have had a couple of sessions on the layout - this evening's was most enjoyable. 

It is a double-edged sword having access to this forum and YouTube etc. 

On the one hand you get extremely useful information and friendly advice and support, but on the other you see layouts way beyond your skillset or budget and feel like 'what's the point of me trying?'.

However, my main experience of Rmweb is one of being able to get enough information to at least try something new and I have usually been pleasantly surprised with the results. 

I think I have got my enthusiasm back enough to try and progress the layout further.  I have decided that my final loco purchase for the layout will be a Heljan 33 (lots of memories for me), and then I will either upgrade or 'trade in' my non-sound fitted locos, and replace/upgrade rolling stock on a long term plan, whilst making more of an attempt with the scenic side of things. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I commented recently on a thread about Working Timetables for layouts. I stated that I don't have a timetable ( I don't have enough stock) but I do try to make things look prototypical in that an ECS train that's been dragged by the station pilot into the yard will shortly afterwards be followed in by the light engine that was detached in the station. 

I have tried to put a couple of videos together showing such a sequence, but you will have to excuse the awful camerawork and the overruns by the loco... I had one hand on the camera and one on the controller... you should get the idea of the way the layout works though. 

At busy times, I sometimes get parallel running with trains being shunted in the yard and those traversing between the arrival/departure road and the yard reception siding.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, 9C85 said:

Thanks for the encouragement, and please hi-jack away!  ...I have had to rein it in on a North Wales  Wales based layout today after rambling about 33s on the Pompey service. 

Due to circumstances totally beyond my control, I found myself with lots of free time this weekend and have had a couple of sessions on the layout - this evening's was most enjoyable. 

It is a double-edged sword having access to this forum and YouTube etc. 

On the one hand you get extremely useful information and friendly advice and support, but on the other you see layouts way beyond your skillset or budget and feel like 'what's the point of me trying?'.

However, my main experience of Rmweb is one of being able to get enough information to at least try something new and I have usually been pleasantly surprised with the results. 

I think I have got my enthusiasm back enough to try and progress the layout further.  I have decided that my final loco purchase for the layout will be a Heljan 33 (lots of memories for me), and then I will either upgrade or 'trade in' my non-sound fitted locos, and replace/upgrade rolling stock on a long term plan, whilst making more of an attempt with the scenic side of things. 

1.  That ‘North Wales’ layout is the reason for my layout, my presence on RMWeb and my persistence in continuing in the face of all evidence that my modelling skills are a poor match for my ambition! There is something so encouraging and honest about the layout, with no hint of ‘of course you mere mortals can’t begin to imagine...’. I love it. 
2. Having seen you efforts so far, sound fitting a Heljan class 33 is well within your ability. After that, the others will be like shelling peas. 
3. Final loco? I think we need to nail this concept before it turns into something serious! On your 24th deltic or 600th 47 we can re-assess. 

PS Great videos!

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

54 minutes ago, 61656 said:

Seeing your 08 running so smoothly makes me realise just how poor mine is. Is yours Bachmann or Hornby?

Bachmann. And funnily enough, I was thinking how smooth it was running yesterday. 

I did notice that it was stalling a bit on the frogs on the weekend.  The frogs are not yet powered and the 08 is not yet fitted with a stay-alive , but most of the time there are no problems. 

I really need to clean my track properly, but most of the time I just use a track rubber when problems arise. 

I did use "track magic" on the 08 yesterday, applied with a cotton bud. I don't have a rolling road so I just gave it half a wheel turn on the track to get to the other half.

One thing I did do which I hadn't before was to clean the wheel backs. I am guessing that this is the area that makes contact with the wiper pickups? Whatever I did, it worked.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 9C85 said:

Bachmann. And funnily enough, I was thinking how smooth it was running yesterday. 

I did notice that it was stalling a bit on the frogs on the weekend.  The frogs are not yet powered and the 08 is not yet fitted with a stay-alive , but most of the time there are no problems. 

I really need to clean my track properly, but most of the time I just use a track rubber when problems arise. 

I did use "track magic" on the 08 yesterday, applied with a cotton bud. I don't have a rolling road so I just gave it half a wheel turn on the track to get to the other half.

One thing I did do which I hadn't before was to clean the wheel backs. I am guessing that this is the area that makes contact with the wiper pickups? Whatever I did, it worked.

I have played around with the pickups on my Hornby 08 for ages, but I think there’s a more fundamental problem causing the coupling rods to bind and add resistance that the motor can’t overcome. It’s possible that a wheel or axle is out of alignment. 

Stripping the 08 down is about my least favourite job, but there’s little alternative really. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 9C85 said:

The frogs are not yet powered and the 08 is not yet fitted with a stay-alive

Unless its been changed since I bought two Bachmann 08s, the pickups are on the top of the wheel tread of the two outer wheelsets and not the middle one. Any crud the wheels pick up rises to the top of the wheel where it builds up under the pickup wiper and eventually breaks or causes intermittent connection.

post-6922-128007996687_thumb.jpg.c3742e4d973c40fd6cca559ab10c99a6.jpg

This was my solution! Both now pickup from all 6 wheels with the pickups contacting the wheel backs not the treads. A quick wheel clean periodically and they run like a dream and I don't bother powering frogs and all that stuff! A quick wheel clean is a lot easier than a strip down to get at the pickups!

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

If you want a class 31, best idea is to convert a old lima loco with running gear from a mazac rot Hornby version. A really easy job, but one that is worth it, and gives you the satisfaction of having done it your self. And doing it this way is cheaper than what is being asked online now. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

If you want a class 31, best idea is to convert a old lima loco with running gear from a mazac rot Hornby version. A really easy job, but one that is worth it, and gives you the satisfaction of having done it your self. And doing it this way is cheaper than what is being asked online now. 

Interesting idea, so which bits are used from each model? (Please excuse my ignorance)

15 hours ago, 9C85 said:

Another slightly surreptitious reason for making these videos is that, for me, the jury's still out regarding the Pullman coaches.  They look lovely and run excellently but their raison d'etre for being on the layout is highly contrived and tenuous to say the least. 

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am approaching capacity in terms of rolling stock and there are still some gaping omissions in the stock I want to have... a rake of Mk2 aircons being the prime example. 

If I were to decide to sell the Pullmans, I think I would offer them as a rake of four, rather than sell them individually - and I could point potential buyers to the videos to show how nice they look together. 

I know Rule 1 has already been invoked with the Pullmans but I have seen some videos recently of pre-privatisation era layouts and some of the liveries are nice. Intercity and Scotrail 47s are probably my favourite looking locos. I did most of my rail travelling between 1986 and 1992 - perhaps I should pay homage to that era a bit more?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Your layout is yours to do as you please. Run what you like, when you like. As long as you enjoy it that's the main thing. I personally think it would look better with a bit of colour as it takes me back to the early 90's at Bristol Temple Meads (and I'd add a brake van to the 08) but it's not my railway it's yours. I'm enjoying watching what your doing and it's not a gauge I model in. It's a reminder of days gone for me.

Keep up the good work. 

Paul 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, 9C85 said:

Another slightly surreptitious reason for making these videos is that, for me, the jury's still out regarding the Pullman coaches.  They look lovely and run excellently but their raison d'etre for being on the layout is highly contrived and tenuous to say the least. 

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am approaching capacity in terms of rolling stock and there are still some gaping omissions in the stock I want to have... a rake of Mk2 aircons being the prime example. 

If I were to decide to sell the Pullmans, I think I would offer them as a rake of four, rather than sell them individually - and I could point potential buyers to the videos to show how nice they look together. 

I know Rule 1 has already been invoked with the Pullmans but I have seen some videos recently of pre-privatisation era layouts and some of the liveries are nice. Intercity and Scotrail 47s are probably my favourite looking locos. I did most of my rail travelling between 1986 and 1992 - perhaps I should pay homage to that era a bit more?

I fully agree with your philosophy. My layout is fictional, but everything else has to fit for Crewe / Chester in September 86. The variety is fantastic enough without contriving more stuff to run (even if a deltic on a transpennine pullman sounds very tempting). 

I think as you progress through the 80’s the liveries become more interesting, but the locos less so. Plus the later you go the more you need Sprinters, pacers, fixed formations, less freight and demise of newspapers.  

I was always very conscious in layout planning about how much operating potential a layout has, and I’m fortunate in having almost enough room to keep it varied. I think for smaller layouts, a computer run schedule that has randomised additions and alterations, will give a lot more depth. The computer could add vehicle defects, additional catering required, relief services, charters etc. If you had a maintenance road or shed it could also rotate coaches through for brake exams etc.  

• Like 1

Talking of modelling the 1980s, the attached video popped up on my YouTube feed.

I have no connection whatsoever to the maker(s) of this layout, but I wish I did do.

I have watched this quite a few times now, and apart from me wanting to applaud at the end, it leaves me with a massive smile on my face.

Enjoy...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I've been slowly restricting my modelling period and location over the last 18 months or so and it's quite a satisfying experience. I don't regret making the decision although it does involve a lot of time on YouTube and Flickr though!

Steven B.

• Like 1

Doesn’t matter if it’s contrived it’s up to you .

I use two degrees of separation from reality as my limit .

IE - if a unusual class of loco appears it has to have a sensible train for the area .,

or an unusual train with usual motive power ...

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Joner said:

Your layout is yours to do as you please. Run what you like, when you like. As long as you enjoy it that's the main thing. I personally think it would look better with a bit of colour as it takes me back to the early 90's at Bristol Temple Meads (and I'd add a brake van to the 08) but it's not my railway it's yours. I'm enjoying watching what your doing and it's not a gauge I model in. It's a reminder of days gone for me.

Keep up the good work. 

Paul 

Thanks a lot.  Earlier in my thread (I think... or at least somewhere else on RMWeb) I mention my visit to Bristol Temple Meads in the early 80s (possibly the late 70s) and seeing 08 900 bimbling around with a brake van. I occasionally let my 08 off the yard and out onto the 'imaginary ' main line to collect ECS or a parcels train from Burchill station.  I keep contemplating getting a brake van to accompany it on these adventures - it would also add some operational interest by having it 'kipped' in the fuel point headshunt when not required. 

Does anyone know of a manufacturer who produces BR brake vans with NEM coupler pockets?... I would need to fit Kadees to it and I would prefer to use the plugin variety rather than have to perform plastic surgery.

• Like 1

I can confirm that my visit to Bristol Temple Meads was in 1979. The reason I know is that I remember singing misheard lyrics to the song 'Que Sera mi vida' by the Gibson Brothers, which was playing on the radio in one of the station cafes. I have just Googled the release date.

It's weird what you remember isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 9C85 said:

Talking of modelling the 1980s, the attached video popped up on my YouTube feed.

I have no connection whatsoever to the maker(s) of this layout, but I wish I did do.

I have watched this quite a few times now, and apart from me wanting to applaud at the end, it leaves me with a massive smile on my face.

Enjoy...

There's some features about that which don't appeal to me (it's a bit too "busy") but it's a magnificent piece of work.  A lot of exhibition layout builders could do well to study the use of curves on this layout, which look much more natural than most.

• Agree 2