Is my decoder fried?

pw

While using an NEC Powercab to operate a Bachmann loco wth ESU LokSound decoder I inadvertently ALSO connected the track to a 15v AC current (don't ask).  I wondered why operation was rather hesitant, so then compounded matters by changing the 15v AC connection to 12v DC (still connected to the NEC).  At this point response from the loco was minimum, unsurprisingly, and I realised my mistake(s).

I have tried resetting CV8 to 8   -  sometimes that seems to work, and I get some response from the loco - some of the sounds and just a brief commencement of moving before cutting out again.

Have I damaged it irretrievably?   I'm a newbie to DCC (obviously!)

The other currents were more likely to damage your NCE  system. From the sounds of it (no pun intended) your system has survived, and if you are getting responses from your locomotive, it may well be as Suzie has suggested.

Does the decoder respond to interrogation on your programming track?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pw said:

While using an NEC Powercab to operate a Bachmann loco wth ESU LokSound decoder I inadvertently ALSO connected the track to a 15v AC current (don't ask).  I wondered why operation was rather hesitant, so then compounded matters by changing the 15v AC connection to 12v DC (still connected to the NEC).  At this point response from the loco was minimum, unsurprisingly, and I realised my mistake(s).

I have tried resetting CV8 to 8   -  sometimes that seems to work, and I get some response from the loco - some of the sounds and just a brief commencement of moving before cutting out again.

Have I damaged it irretrievably?   I'm a newbie to DCC (obviously!)

Where did you get the decoder from and how old is it.

Charlie (DCKits-Legomanbiffo)

13 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

Where did you get the decoder from and how old is it.

Charlie (DCKits-Legomanbiffo)

New Bachmann Dukedog - lovely machine.  Coming back to it after 40 years I have a lot to catch up on

• RMweb Gold

Glad to hear all is OK!

With DCC sound cleanliness of track and wheels is paramount. You will make it much easier for yourself - and please forgive me if you have already gone down this route --

No plastic running sufaces - be that wheels or track (frogs). A lot of crud is worn plastic .... when they had plastic wheels my Bachmann Bolster Ds wheels wore to the point of becoming translucent. The worn plastic is to go somewhere....

Cheers

Phil

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, pw said:

Thanks, Suzie - you are quite right - bit of a track clean and it's working fine - I hadn't realised DCC is so sensitive in that way

Hi,

It's probably not just DCC decoders (or some decoders) being more sensitive to power interruptions,  the design of pickups that may be fitted to modern designs of RTR locos may be a contributing factor (along with track cleanliness and track flatness which have been a factor even when DC was the main option for model railways).

The more accurate a model the less space there is between chassis components and tiny debris can get stuck more easily. That debris can bend pickups away and stop wheelsets sliding on their axle bearings.

Also the design of models based on a bigger range of prototypes may dilute the knowledge base of the RTR designers with respect to long term reliability in real life conditions.

Take care.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Design changes dont help either.

The Bachmann 40 and 43 went over to picking up through bushes on the axles - the 24 has reverted to wiper pick ups which in our experience are more reliable 

Cheers

Phil

2 hours ago, pw said:

Thanks, Suzie - you are quite right - bit of a track clean and it's working fine - I hadn't realised DCC is so sensitive in that way

DCC in general is not that sensitive to dirty track, just some decoders are and the default settings on some make them behave badly on dirty track - ESU are in that category unfortunately.

Excellent that you are up and running now though.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Suzie said:

DCC in general is not that sensitive to dirty track, just some decoders are and the default settings on some make them behave badly on dirty track - ESU are in that category unfortunately.

Excellent that you are up and running now though.

Having used DCC for over 12 years I don’t think I agree regarding your point about dirty track “DCC in general is not that sensitive to dirty track”

You try running a Beattie Well Tank over dirty track 

Cleanliness is next to Godliness

Terry 

I clean my track religiously every 6 months and immediately run a 2b pencil over it. I then clean the loco wheels periodically (usually about once per month) and everything runs like clockwork (actually not like clockwork as I have 2 clocks that don’t like this heat!)

• Like 1