09/0n15 layouts

denv

Picked up an old O gauge Lima mk 1 to use as a cafe, a suitable Corgi sports car (to use as part of the car rally in the field) and a length of O gauge flexitrack (for the cafe to sit on) all for under £25 today and I'm off to a flying start on my O-9 project (a 15" sit and ride at a tourist attraction)... I mentioned it to the guys at the shop and the layout's already been booked for next year's show before I've even decided what size the boards should be...

I wonder if I could use a T scale setup too in that. What scale would that work out as in O gauge?

The photos above are of a 10 1/4 gauge line I have seen lines ballested with the cheap post mix that you get for errecting fencer and indeed when i ran the lechwedd miniature railway we ballasted with slate allthough this is less than ideal

The photos above are of a 10 1/4 gauge line I have seen lines ballested with the cheap post mix that you get for errecting fencer and indeed when i ran the lechwedd miniature railway we ballasted with slate allthough this is less than ideal

Jordan, if you look at the notes above the photos you will see that the gauge of the Clevedon Line is 9 1/2 inch gauge, not as I first thought 10 1/4 (memo to self; get eyes recalibrated!) It is an unusual gauge in UK.

Heres a photo of the 'point' in front of the shed.

post-4282-127461302554_thumb.jpg

A growing band of 09 modellers seems to be happening.  Mine is still at the planning stage but do have a model of Bonnie Dundee from Ratty and N-Drive Productions should soon be bringing out kits of Arthur Heywood's Katie and Effie.  As most 15inch railways are built for low cost the actual sleeper spacing could be anything! So just cut the webs on Peco track and reset the spacing to your desire.

Shifting Sands, Colin Peake's 09 layout is going on display in the new exhibition at Cleethorpes, hopefully be opening in June.  So you can see and ride on a real 15 inch gauge railway and see a model of one as well.

Peter

A growing band of 09 modellers seems to be happening.

As most 15inch railways are built for low cost the actual sleeper spacing could be anything! So just cut the webs on Peco track and reset the spacing to your desire.

I agree this time around there seems to be more interest in 09. I think it is something that has something of a snowball effect. Trying to start interest in this scale/gauge was very slow, but now that a few exhibition layouts have happened, it has inspired a few more to have a go.

Don't underestimate how big the sleepers should be. Many lines have been using standard gauge sleepers cut in half. Unless you fancy going the copperclad route, I'd hide the sleepers in the weeds. That said, scratch building track is fairly straightforward, and the difference to the layout is quite remarkable when a few large sleepers populate the trackbed.

Simon.

Archived