Gilbert Lane its P Way and Signals etc.

Gilbert Lane is supposedly somewhere near Hull on the former H&BRly c1964. The scale is 4mm to the foot, the space available is approx 16ft x 12ft which nicely accommodates the basic oval, the curves at each end being nominally 3ft radius. Though not shown on the sketch there are Up and Down storage loops on the other side of the layout.

The signals are already made as is the signalbox. If there is enough interest, I will later illustrate and describe the signals and their construction etc. The visible P Way is wood sleepers or timbers with individual chairs.

All comments welcome.

GILBERT LANE 5 APRIL 2020.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Signals 21/20/28, Down Starters.

This is a model of an actual signal, and one that many years ago I was familiar with. It would have been first brought into use in July 1885 when the railway opened, and c1910 fitted with the later pattern arms as per the models two lower distants. In June 1939 the right hand doll was renewed using recovered ex NERly fittings. Further change took place c1952 when the South and West Branch Starters were renewed with UQ arms. It then remained so until early 1957 when the entire signal became life expired and was replaced by a "Modern" all steel welded structure.

There are no known drawings of H&BRly signals but a few basic dimensions could be gleaned from various sources.

The model is made from brass bar or strip either filed or milled to size. I had the H&BRly arms etched by D&S, the remaining arms and fittings also from Dan's range, now with MSE/Wizard.

1 SBN LQ.jpg

H&B Bracket 3 doll at SBN HB 37 38 40  G.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Gilbert Lane is supposedly somewhere near Hull on the former H&BRly c1964. The scale is 4mm to the foot, the space available is approx 16ft x 12ft which nicely accommodates the basic oval, the curves at each end being nominally 3ft radius. Though not shown on the sketch there are Up and Down storage loops on the other side of the layout.

The signals are already made as is the signalbox. If there is enough interest, I will later illustrate and describe the signals and their construction etc. The visible P Way is wood sleepers or timbers with individual chairs.

All comments welcome.

GILBERT LANE 5 APRIL 2020.jpg

Do you have a map of the wider area to show how you see the various lines connecting?  Two down branch connections and no up branch is confusing me.

We lived in Anlaby when I was very young and a frequent walk with mum was across the playing fields to the old H&B embankment, so I will be following this with interest.

Superb work Mick. On all counts.  I wish my efforts even remotely approached your skill levels. 

May I include the photo's of the prototype and also those of  your models as part of the signalling chapter which will appear in Vol. 2 of my historical account of the H&B?  This is due to be published later this year by Lightmoor Press.

Nick.

No7 From Up Sidings signal.  Following the Grouping, several NERly "inside Arm" signals appeared on the H&B Section, either new or recovered from elsewhere. I made this one a good twenty years ago, post filed from brass bar, arm and fittings etc from D&S etches.

7 Shunting Up Sidings to Up Main. . .JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Chris, I have no end of photo's and drawings etc, and all of interest to anyone modelling the H&BRly, just ask.

Slightly off topic but hopefully of interest, a photo' of the last steam engine to work over the H&BRly, July 2007. The location is Springbank West, Hull or in railway terms Springbank North Jct. I have outline drawings and measurments and I did intend at onetime to model it on my own set up, but at nearly two feet in length it would have totaly dominated the layout.

E14A  8F July 2007.JPG

Edited by micknich2003
  • Like 3

No17 Shunting from West Branch to Up Main. This like the several prototypes on the H&BRly and as can be seen uses a cut down full size arm, also illustrated is my actual signal once to be found at Springbank South Hull. Post filed from brass bar, arm and fittings std D&S etches.  Yes, though not part of the present story I have a couple of A7 tanks.

17 Shunting West Branch toUp Main..JPG

SPRINGBANK SOUTH c1955 A7 ..jpg

• Like 8

Peter, yes the signal to the right is H&BRly. Of interest the photo' shows the signals of three different railways, the bracket signal on the left is a late LNERly design though erected by British Railways c1954. Just viable above the brakevan can be seen the finial of a ex NERly bracket, this was "New" in the early '30's though actually recovered from elsewhere. The ground disc is of standard LNERly pattern though probably installed by British Rlys.

• Like 2

No29 Down Main Home, again a model of an actual signal once to be found at Bullcroft Jct on the H&B/GCRly "Joint Line". The arm is 30ft 4in above rail height so a reasonably tall signal. Originally a std H&BRly LQ but in later years and as modelled fitted with a replacement UQ arm. Filed brass post plus the usual D&S etches.

27  Down Main Starter. .jpg

• Like 5

Stephen, I have had most of the signals made and in stock for twenty or more years, I built them for previous layouts that came to nothing. To put them to good use, I more or less designed the layout to suit my large signal stash. Even so, there will be several left over, including the one attached.

Thanks for your interest, Mick

SPARE, H B Signal Bridge RS A.jpg

• Like 7