Gilbert Lane its P Way and Signals etc.

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

A bit more work on the bridge, but much more yet to do. The road surface is very fine wet and dry paper laid over a length of 60tho square plastic to make the camber.

Mick, a trick I learned from someone else is to rub two pieces of wet-and-dry together face-to-face. That stops it looking like wet-and-dry...

• Informative/Useful 1

The bridge is coming along nicely, Mick, well done.

In the past I've used a paper called 'Sialac 1701 P320' which has a subtle patterning reminiscent of a weathered road surface.  It's Swiss made and although other grades of the product are still available on-line, I'm not sure about the one I've mentioned.   My father-in-law who was a skilled joiner used it for french polishing many years ago and I still have about dozen sheets left. I can send you up a couple of sheets if you want to try it out. 

Nick. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As a teenager, I had the bright idea of using strips of sandpaper to represent ballast in the six foot and on the shoulder. Suitably painted, it looked good enough to my eyes at the time but was (a) painful if one's hand slipped and (b) not good for stock in the event of a derailment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

As a teenager, I had the bright idea of using strips of sandpaper to represent ballast in the six foot and on the shoulder. Suitably painted, it looked good enough to my eyes at the time but was (a) painful if one's hand slipped and (b) not good for stock in the event of a derailment.

I used heavy grit wet or dry paper - for a very short while.  I think the scars had gone by the time I got rid of it ;)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

A Victorian engineering works is to go to the right of the bridge, exact position of both not yet finalised. Attached the incomplete front view, this will be at 90o to the railway, the left hand gable will form the boundary wall. Slater's embossed brick, Wills cast iron windows the rest home brewed. Obviously at present incomplete, gutters, down pipes and other details to be added following final assembly.

WORKSHOP_3_.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, nicktamarensis said:

Nice piece of atmospheric work, Mick. Those Victorian arched window heads look particularly good.

Nick.

Nick thanks for the kind words, the windows owe far more to Will's tool maker than me, I only cut out the openings and glued them in place.

5 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Nick, no canals in Hull, only the two rivers.

I visited one of those areas of Hull with "traditional" housing to help "knock up" on behalf of the successful candidate at the 1966 Hull North by-election, (one of the very last such traditional events with bell-ringers and torch lights, by the way). Knowing that there had never been canals in Hull, I was rather bemused by the sight of what looked like filled in canals and the remains of bridges over them. I asked a fellow local helper what they were and was astounded to be told "Oh they were the open sewers, filled in last year".

• Informative/Useful 1