Gilbert Lane its P Way and Signals etc.

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, bécasse said:

I visited one of those areas of Hull with "traditional" housing to help "knock up" on behalf of the successful candidate at the 1966 Hull North by-election, 

Ha! I was at university with his son, who was an Organ Scholar.

22 hours ago, bécasse said:

I visited one of those areas of Hull with "traditional" housing to help "knock up" on behalf of the successful candidate at the 1966 Hull North by-election, (one of the very last such traditional events with bell-ringers and torch lights, by the way). Knowing that there had never been canals in Hull, I was rather bemused by the sight of what looked like filled in canals and the remains of bridges over them. I asked a fellow local helper what they were and was astounded to be told "Oh they were the open sewers, filled in last year".

They were not open sewers, they were land drains.

• Informative/Useful 1

52 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

Hi Mick,

It’s looking the part without doubt, you have done a great job on the roof, it’s never easy to disguise joins but you have overcome that, transferring your excellent ‘metalworking’ skills, to the plastic building approach.

Thanks for the kind words.

Work continuities, and the present project is the level crossing gates. I have abandoned any thoughts of modelling the original c1908 S&F pattern gates, by the '60's in practice they would almost certainly have been long replaced, Instead I have used typical LNERly/NERegion pattern ones. More detailing and tidying yet to do.

Gate_1.JPG

Gate 2 .JPG

Gate 3 .JPG

Gate 4 .jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

More work done to the gates, both and apart from the top bearings and the gate shaft cutting to length erected. This again as been a worth while photo' it shows up the over scale metal work on the right hand gate, this as been removed and is now back on the 'bench for attention.

Gate 6 .JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

Hi Mick,

that’s really looking good is that and from scratch too, Great to see scratch builders still modelling, it’s an Art that is slowly becoming obsolete.

Having said that, there are still a few about that love to build from scratch, in this day of computer printing and I guess there will always be those who love to build something from nothing. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

After a long delay, I'm now back to 4mm scale and Gilbert Lane. My latest effort is a typical H&BRly "Gate House", this as the name suggests will reside next to the level crossing and would have provided accommodation for the signalman or crossing keeper.

Plasticard and embossed brick etc. Early  days, a lot of detail to add plus painting and weathering.

GATE HOUSE 1 .JPG

GATEHOUSE 2 .JPG

GATEHOUSE 3 .JPG

• Like 7

Hi Mick,

its nice to see it coming together and I love that chimney stack, with the different layers of brick.

What have you use for the curtains,  tend to use curtain photos out of Argos catalogue nowadays and split toilet tissue for nets, seems to work okay.

looking forward to seeing it complete Mick.

cheers

peter 

• Like 1