Gilbert Lane its P Way and Signals etc.

The basics are now more or less complete, weathering, some cleaning up to do and a few details to add, not least a c1960 TV aerial, Please anyone got dimensions of an "H" or "X" aerial? I have found nothing on tinternet. Thanks, Mick.

GATE HOUSE 20 .JPG

GATE HOUSE 22.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

The basics are now more or less complete, weathering, some cleaning up to do and a few details to add, not least a c1960 TV aerial, Please anyone got dimensions of an "H" or "X" aerial? I have found nothing on tinternet. Thanks, Mick.

GATE HOUSE 20 .JPG

GATE HOUSE 22.jpg

Try this, Mick. There are a couple of photos and a link or two that might help.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

GATE HOUSE 20 .JPG

GATE HOUSE 22.jpg

Hi Mick, looks very nice. 

As for the TV aerial, in the '60s I'm pretty sure  broadcasts would have been in the VHF Band I range (44 to 88 Mhz). Therefore, the mid point wavelength would be 4.5 metres. Most TV and Radio antennas are are either half wave or quarter wave, and in the '60s, so a half wave would be 2.25 metres, approx 7ft 4 inch in old money. Does that help? 

• Like 1

A little more progress. Painting the ridge tiles, at least to the naked eye is a vast improvement. The porch flashing is far too deep and needs to be reduced by one brick course. Other paint work needs touching in and more weathering, then finally the addition of  a TV aerial.

GATE HOUSE 25 .JPG

GATE HOUSE 26 .JPG

GATE HOUSE 27 .JPG

• Like 6

Here's another detail I wish to add, the junction box and electricity supply cable as seen here on end wall left of picture. From what I recall the junction box was painted red and which of course faded over years, the cable was bound with pitch.  Further details most welcome. Thanks, Mick. 

CARLTON STREET, Southcoates Terrace..jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Many thanks to you all  re the input to TV aerial. Next question, where exactly is the Coaxel cable fitted to the aerial? Many Thanks, Mick.

Hi Mick, 

On that type of aerial the coax connection would be the centre of the "cross", there would be either a square or circular box for the cable to terminate in. I'll see if I can find a picture of one for you. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Dear Ian, once again, thanks for your help. Brown sewing thread should suffice, fitting the aerial will be the last job.

Hi Mick,

The best I can find, a grainy b/w photo with an "X" aerial on the left,

OIP.jpg.d7e022956b5d3a56195510cba701b99f.jpg

and a drawing, but I think you can get the gist of what the connection box looks like.

R83a1a3cc05602b54ebf32dde137b74f9.jpg.1b11138f9f19d6f11c66efdf9ca562ea.jpg

Hope this helps.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1