Fusion360 Saving Projects

I am trying to teach myself 3D Cad in readiness for buying a new 3D resin printer, so that I can create my own projects instead of just copying stuff from Thingiverse.

As I am well versed in AutoCAD 2D, I downloaded Fusion360 for use on my Mac, as I hoped the interface would be similar (it’s not).

To try and get some idea of how to use Fusion360 I tried YouTube and came across some tutorials by Lars Christensen, I was doing quite well and got half way through lesson 1 yesterday, then I thought I had saved my part completed drawing and tried to open it today to resume the tutorial. But I cannot figure out how to open it. There doesn’t seem to be a “recents” file, where I would usually find drawings.

Looking through Lar’s tutorials unfortunately he doesn’t seem to cover the basics like saving, exporting, etc; and looking at the AutoDesk tutorials on the Fusion website didn’t help, nor did the Help files!

It would appear that drawings are actually saved to the Fusion360 online cloud and not locally on my Mac, is this correct?

If so how do I save a drawing, then open it again? Is it something to do with Projects and not Save?

Perhaps there is a tutorial that actually starts by showing how to open and save drawings?

Hoping someone can help.

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

You’re basically me a year ago, same Rationale, same tutorials!

In the top left corner you should have an icon that looks like a 3x3 grid - that should open a side bar which shows your saved projects. To save there’s the normal save icon at the top. It should have prompted you to save on exit if you hadn’t. 

it does save to the cloud, yes. I really like that as it means you can open work on other computers with ease. 

To illustrate the previous post.... click the grid icon to open the data panel, where the top most entry should be a list of all your recent projects, followed by your projects.

Above that you can access Fusion Team storage (the drop down labelled Motorsport Tools in this case, since I'm logged in to my work account!) - which although perhaps a bit more advanced, I actually recommend setting up a team even if it;s only you using Fusion, since it allows you to do some things you can't otherwise do, like insert models from different projects into each other without having to break links.

Capture.PNG.58784538fad2249b8fb90980f6e5af2e.PNG

Thank you both for your help.

As I’m locked with nothing better to do (like modelling), I’m painting all of the doors on the landing!
When I’m finished I’ll open up Fusion and try to recover my drawing and setup a team.

Then I can carry on with Lar’s tutorials.

• RMweb Premium

Just be aware that if you have more than one folder it can look like you have not managed to save the item. I spent quite some time trying to find some of my drawings because of this! 

• 4 weeks later...

I can recommend the YouTube videos by Desktop Makes YouTube - Desktop Makes. I came across him through an online course at Udemy you really have to sit a draw the objects in the videos to learn the skills to start with even though they are of no interest. Then when you hit a snagg you can search for a solution and jst watch the video and apply it to your project.

I am use to AutoCAD (use it alot in day job) and finding Fusion 360 a real challenge.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 27/04/2020 at 08:29, ianmaccormac said:

Very simple to follow tutorials are available here.

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wmg/about/outreach/resources/fusion_tutorials

For more advanced work there is this person who also has a great range of videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvrHuaHhqHI

Hope that helps

Ian

Very useful. I've just downloaded Fusion 360 and gave it a quick try hoping it was intuitive enough to whizz through without reading up about it. It isn't! A bit of work needed. I need to print some chimneys and domes.

Nigel

8 hours ago, NCB said:

Very useful. I've just downloaded Fusion 360 and gave it a quick try hoping it was intuitive enough to whizz through without reading up about it. It isn't! A bit of work needed. I need to print some chimneys and domes.

Nigel

Then you'll be needing....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

By the way you can save locally on your hard drive by using the export command. See photo below. I do not save anything to the cloud as my default CAD software, CATIA, saves locally. An alternative to Fusion is the new free version of Siemens Solid Edge, which is the baby brother of NX (formerly Unigraphics). . A number of my fellow club members are we are starting to use SE and it appears to be more intuitive to use than Fusion.  image.png.48f7fd95ba2437cc0c879f867fd72bab.png

• Informative/Useful 1