DUST

• RMweb Gold

This is a reflection of my having too much time on my hands..................

As my layout continues to take shape the subject of dust and keeping it clear is increasingly in my thoughts - whilst in the construction stages it was easy to get out the hoover and clean up and give the track a serious clean and all was well.

As I start introducing details and make track runs far more "delicate" to access with something like a hoover nozzle how do I keep it clear/clean

Why do you guys do with say 5 year old well refined layouts to keep dust at bay  ............

Edited by halsey

A dust sheet - e.g. an old cotton bed sheet might be a good start to keep dust levels down.  Spread it over backscene panel / front protecting screen. 

Track will slowly tarnish - and here the options are a track rubber or rag and track cleaning fluid - or if there are too many delicate items in the way, a powered track cleaner / fluid wiping track cleaning wagon.

1 hour ago, halsey said:

This is a reflection of my having too much time on my hands..................

As my layout continues to take shape the subject of dust and keeping it clear is increasingly in my thoughts - whilst in the construction stages it was easy to get out the hoover and clean up and give the track a serious clean and all was well.

As I start introducing details and make track runs far more "delicate" to access with something like a hoover nozzle how do I keep it clear/clean

Why do you guys do with say 5 year old well refined layouts to keep dust at bay  ............

Garden fleece - it is ultra-light; (no damage to delicate detailing); but prevents dust getting through.

I also use it to keep dust out of my precious, irreplaceable Alps printers.

John Isherwood.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, knitpick said:

A dust sheet - e.g. an old cotton bed sheet might be a good start to keep dust levels down.  Spread it over backscene panel / front protecting screen. 

Track will slowly tarnish - and here the options are a track rubber or rag and track cleaning fluid - or if there are too many delicate items in the way, a powered track cleaner / fluid wiping track cleaning wagon.

I do this when we are away for the summer months! - next year?

I'll now investigate garden fleece...............

But was just wondering what other remedies are out there...................

• RMweb Premium

Negative ion generators can reduce dust in the air. I've not used them, but the theory is sound. You can get various sizes to suit the space.

Thing is a dust sheet will catch dust, but in removing it to operate the layout some of the dust will recirculate. Better to get rid of it first.

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253

Dust needs tackling by not making dust in the first place. A railway room with blanked out windows and the door opened as infrequently as possible will suffer a lot less dust than one in a room used for other purposes.  At a certain stage you will have to spend more time cleaning the layout and  repairing the resulting damage than you spend operating and adding new stuff.  Its why some people abandon layouts and start again and why some of us don't  add too many fragile easily damaged items and indeed make a virtue of the dust, my nicely weathered Hornby Hall isn't actually weathered at all.its just dusty.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1