My next project - shops

AyJay

Hello. I need to ask for some help again please.

As some of you may have seen from other recent postings of mine, I am working on populating a corner of my layout with a townscene of Victorian style properties.

So far I have houses from the excellent range from Freestone Model Accessories, plus a scratch built pub. 

Well now I need a row of shops in the same style and the design is causing me a problem.

They are going to be completely scratch built, but I want to adapt the design of my Freestone / Metcalfe houses.

After much looking on the internet at shop fronts, I have produced a front view drawing of what I want, see attachedhrm-hs1.jpg.89544fc47150d05782d7c3434ab96b22.jpgIMG_2494.JPG.adc50b73655a62705b7c12b030f47e7e.JPGIMG_2480.JPG.4d57b71b57add18b1c67b86210d0db0b.JPG,

The selected shops are what I feel would look right, I have also chosen real shop fronts that I found.

For me, the most important one is the bike shop, because I used to frequent the shop of Mr Morris and a friend has challenged me to even reproduce the photo of him standing outside with the tandem.

A challenge that I'm up for.

However....

Looking on Google street, I now find that his terrace looks nothing like what I have in mind. I don't mind having a third floor, but I don't like the square end and flat roof.

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@51.582588,-0.012666,270.44h,7.61p,1z

Also, the view shows something really ugly and block like at the back.

I have searched high and low on the internet for images of Victorian houses in the style I want, but can find nothing that's 3-stories high, and certainly no rear views. 

All I found was Georgian style and something that would not be out of place on the Addams Family!

So, can anyone please help me with examples of a 3-storey equivalent of what I already have (see attached picture)?  I particularly need to know what the roof and rear view would look like?

My fall-back position is to just build them as 2-storey and I don't think that would be right.

Thank you.

• RMweb Gold

Allan Downes used to explain the rule of thirds, in that the 2nd floor would be 2/3 the height of the 1st floor. (Ground, 1st, 2nd).

So from your drawing, copy the 1st floor but reduce the height and the window height, and you should be about right.

Thanks for that stubby, but I think that you have misunderstood my question.  From Google street I have counted rows of bricks on the property that is in the photograph. The 2nd floor windows are the same height as those on the 1st floor, 5ft. I also have the total height of the building.  What I need is photographs of a 3-storey building that would be in the same style as what I have already modelled. The big question is, what does the back look like? So far, my search has returned nothing.

Try the following :-

3 floor low relief shop fronts  www.kingswaymodels.com,Free downloads,K205 Solicitor & Estate Agent Shops. This could give you the relationship between each floor.       OR

www.scalescenes.com,Townscenes,T005 Low Relief High Street & T005A Low Relief High Street Backs. These may give you a few ideas.

I recommend both sites for all sorts of kits which can be printed off and kit bashed.

Good Luck