Heljan Announce O gauge Mk2 and Mk2A Coaches

MGR Hooper!

Seeing that there's no dedicated thread for Heljan's O gauge Mk2 and Mk2A coaches, I have started this, the only mention of these is in this thread which contains information for quite a few models:

Here's CAD images  for Heljan's forthcoming Mk2 and Mk2A coaches:-

heljanmk2_cad1.jpg.d115271e377cd43101ba08f092bb05bc.jpg

heljanmk2_cad2.jpg.388f2e1b0085cbf015a0a6c39ce690d3.jpg

heljanmk2_cad3.jpg.b486e01c1dc1c174cfae0016de50af9c.jpg

heljanmk2_cad4.jpg.d2db13496828bcfdd6ca85375fe56e21.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

They look very tasty. I love the luggage racks.  I wonder if these will appear before the Lionheart blue/grey MK 1s? Or in time to grace the debut of the glorious Heaton Lodge?  I do hope so. 

Edited by uk_pm

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Do you mean the Dapol Mk 1s or are Lionheart doing them as well?

They were, at least originally, badged as Lionheart but many retailers just list everything as Dapol now regardless.

• Agree 1

Dapol and Lionheart are like sister companies for lack of a better term. I think the owner of Lionheart now works for Dapol and Dapol have absorbed a lot of Lionheart's products into their range.

10 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

9 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Dapol and Lionheart "merged" back in 2016, but some products are done by Lionheart instead of Dapol.

So the Mk1 coaches and the 45xx loco are Lionheart projects, and can be found on the Lionheart webpage / Facebook page

https://www.lionhearttrains.com/

• 1 month later...

I phoned Tower Models and asked them to us their close links to Heljan and make sure the B/G Mk2s didn't have Inter-City branding.    They phoned me back and confirmed that they will just be plain and unlettered /unnumbered.  Models look lovely from the images!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 05/06/2020 at 16:56, Clarky1000 said:

I phoned Tower Models and asked them to us their close links to Heljan and make sure the B/G Mk2s didn't have Inter-City branding.    They phoned me back and confirmed that they will just be plain and unlettered /unnumbered.  Models look lovely from the images!

Whilst I understand some people (in the main modelling more the early 70's as I understand it) will not want Inter City branding I think a majority will want Inter City printed on the side. It is a shame 2 versions couldn't be produced to reflect this minor but important difference.

Ok - we can aim to source Inter City transfers - can't see any available currently in large numbers (Fox/RailTec) - if I recall Pressfix have a few on their sheet.....

• Agree 1

I’m sure I read somewhere that the Mk2 (Mk2Z) which were vacuum braked generally didn’t have Inter-City logos but the 2As which were air braked did?! 

I’m quite interested in finding out which individual coaches did and didn’t carry the logos and there doesn’t seem to be much online unfortunately.

If anyone can suggest a good photo site for 1980s coaching stock it would be very much appreciated! 

Hi Global   

According to Michael Harris' excellent book; "British Rail Mk2 Coaches - The Design that launched InterCity, " Page 60 says; "(taken from the minutes of a BR Passenger Board Meeting of 1970) As from September 1970, new Mk2 (type vehicles) were  branded "Inter-City" on the bodysides and the marking was extended to Mk2A and 2Bs two months later."

That would suggest that it was either very late build Mk2Cs or from Mk2D onwards that were the first to be built from new with that lettering

The book most certainly shows brand new Mk2Cs at Derby Litchurch Lane in 1969 without Inter-City Branding

G

Edited by Clarky1000
Typo

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

The latest sample of these coaches was on show last weekend, so I grabbed a few snaps.

HeljanMK2_O_1_RM.jpg

HeljanMK2_O_2_RM.jpg

HeljanMK2_O_3_RM.jpg

HeljanMK2_O_4_RM.jpg

HeljanMK2_O_4a_RM.jpg

HeljanMK2_O_5_RM.jpg

HeljanMK2_O_6_RM.jpg

The lights are motion sensitive, the come on when the coach moves, but unlike the Tri-ang "Big Big" models, the doors don't open. I admonished Ben for this...

• Like 7

From past experience if the roof looks like that at this stage, then nothing will change. 

Just hope factory fitting and livery application will tidy it all up. Glazing looks a little surprising, old fashioned RTR quality for this scale.