Bachmann J72 - current model - coupling rod repair help - RESOLVED

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Please see the the third post for an updated, but related, request for guidance.  Thanks.

How tricky is it to remove the coupling rods from the current release of the Bachmann J72?  One hindrance is that I do not have access to a screwdriver that turns hex-headed screws.

[I am currently the very happy owner of two of the new release Bachmann class J72; both are as Newcastle station pilot 2313.  They were bought on impulse on release as my plan had been to simply renunber one of them as to use them on a small shunting layout set soon after the grouping.  Eventually, after a little research, I discovered that 2313 is in the condition she was in for a short while in the late '30s.  One option is simply to renumber one of them to the other Newcastle pilot of the period, and then ignore history.  My preferred options , though, involve complete repaints into plain black including stripping the red paint from the coupling rods.])

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Alex.

Edited by Alex TM
Updating title of thread to show problem resolved.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

The original request was for advice on coupling rod removal; this has now developed into repair advice!

Asking around I managed to borrow something small enough to fit the coupling screws/bolts.  On removal of the first set the rivet that joins the leading and trailing parts snapped.  This was probably me being a bit heavy handed.  I've emailed Bachmann for in the hope I can obtain spares but, failing that, can anyone recommend a simple method of repairing this?

Again, thanks in advance for any help given.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex rivets are commonly used to assemble valve gear in loco kits so are readily available. Gibson sell them for instance. Whether that works or not depends on the size of the Bachmann one I suppose - the Gibson ones are 0.8mm diameter with various lengths available and there's also one for 7mm scale which is 1.5mm diameter if that works better.

• Informative/Useful 1

If Bachmann have them as spares, then buy replacements from them, it will be much easier . Rivets as said can vary in size, and need care fitting without jamming the Rods together, if you have never used rivets before.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Barclay and Micklner,

Thanks for the advice and information; to be honest I would feel more comfortable buying replacements than fiddling with something so small.

I had a look at the parts again last night, and noticed that the rivet hadn't snapped!  It looks like it had never be opened out (is that the right term?) when it was fitted.

Again, thanks for the advice, etc.

Regards,

Alex.

Edited by Alex TM
Correcting typos.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

As is typical no sooner had I posted my last response than I received an email form Bachmann.  The coupling rods come as a set with the wheels - the price is fair (19.99).  I'll need to dig out the instructions to see if a wheel swap is straightforward/simple.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Alex TM said:

I'll need to dig out the instructions to see if a wheel swap is straightforward/simple.

Dead easy. Release the keeper plate, lift out the complete, still assembled wheelsets and drop in the new, whilst jiggling the square bearings into their respective slots and keeping an eye on the pick-ups. No wires to de-solder as the keeper uses touch contacts.

I had to bend the contacts back into an upright position to maintain electrical continuity as the initial screwing down of the keeper plate distorts the contacts out of shape.

P

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Alex TM said:

Hi Barclay and Micklner,

Thanks for the advice and information; to be honest I would feel more comfortable buying replacements than fiddling with something so small.

I had a look at the parts again last night, and noticed that the rivet hadn't snapped!  It looks like it had never be opened out (is that the right term?) when it was fitted.

Again, thanks for the advice, etc.

Regards,

Alex.

Send a photo of the defect to Bachmann, you never know they might send you a free set !!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Thanks for all the additional advice and information.  Further to then I have tried a couple of experiments:

1.  Further to the advice given here (thanks Porcy Main) I tried disassembling the chassis; that was easy.  Reassembly was rather fiddly, but successful.

2.  With, in effect, nothing to lose I had a go at fixing the problem.  Carefully assembled the two rods and the rivet so that they were facing down onto the cutting mat; gently located a small cross-head screwdriver into position, and tapped it gently a couple of times with a small hammer.  It seemed to work (!), so I put the rods back on the loco.  It's now run up and down the layout a couple of times without a hitch, including through the small radius points.

I am still thinking about the replacement wheelset from Bachmann.

Many, many, thanks for the time and support.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Just in case anyone is curious, the repaired rods seem to be holding up fine.  The J72 is now my test loco for my layout build.  If anyone's curious, here's a link to it (though posing rather than in action):

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/153475-bere-lane-sidings-reborn-again/&do=findComment&comment=3949399

Again, thanks for taking the time to read or post.

Regards,

Alex.