My first O Gauge layout - Version 2

Savoyard

• RMweb Gold
On 01/02/2022 at 17:06, railwayrod said:

Hi Peter.

I have been away from your thread for some time and I am pleased to see how much progress you have made over the ensuing months. I do like the Deltic which I remember as a young lad passing through Rugby station on its way north. Next time you visit Ramchester please bring it down with you as I would love to see it running into Ramchester. I am sure it will look good.

Keep up the good work.

Rod

Hi Rod,

I've got my scenery modelling mojo back rather than playing with smoke units and magnetic couplings! :)

I will bring the Deltic down with me next time I visit which may be sometime in April and we can give it a run. It needs a run as it was running erratically last time I ran it and so it may need some tweaking.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

I started work on the back of the station.

I had always planned for this to be a raised area to be the reason the track curving. So I mocked it up using using some spare polystyrene, I plan to have a pair of low relief cottages on the back to represent railway cottages, I placed the station building on it to get an idea of proportions.IMG_0269c50.jpg.8b882208f547c474822cb8cdeb5bdef3.jpg

There will be a tunnel at the end of the station which is now disused and will be bricked up, I will resist the temptation for a link into the garden as I don't think I will get planning permission for that! :)

IMG_0271c50.jpg.1609d85ce25e4c46dff80c2e49f9f171.jpg

IMG_0270c50.jpg.f480aae998d8b0afd2ff737622fd5c6e.jpg

I am off to the Doncaster exhibition today so looking forward to seeing what I can get for the layout.

Edited by Savoyard
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

On Friday I continued the weathering and darkening the bridge and wall stone, unfortunately I ran out of the brown washes I use and Modelmates has ceased trading. Luckily I found a source on Ebay and ordered the three remaining they have in stock, so whilst I wait for them to arrive I started work on the back of the station.

The weathering so far.

IMG_0280c.jpg.8cf59007738cd5f03f792b76e1cbbba9.jpg  

IMG_0279c.jpg.7fe7ec8e5db5b4b0a9bcb08714908835.jpg

On Saturday I went to Doncaster and bought a few things for the layout, including a row of terraced cottages from Petite Properties for the back of the station. I realigned the back board to work better with the cottages at the side of the railway and rebuilt the raised area. I started building the cottages and this the work so far.

IMG_0288c.jpg.cdfa46ca2f9322c921465a10fa99f5de.jpg

Yesterday I started mocking up how the tunnel area will look, my new polystyrene cutter made this a lot easier and a lot less messy. This area will no doubt change over the next few days.

IMG_0287c.jpg.9b8425a96b5a593d253e14ef66349a05.jpg

The overall look of this part of the layout.

IMG_0286c.jpg.c9b700adab4c9e43052e8392fe5d8637.jpg

I also bought the Petite Properties buildings that make up their Station Road set, this will go on the opposite side to make a street scene.

I also bought some buildings from LCUT Creative including their country station which I think will work better on the platform, more on these later. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Ray H said:

Peter

I'm considering using a tunnel to hide part of new O gauge layout. Can you advise where you got the dimensions for the railway arch under you bridge?

Thanks.

Hi Ray,

I used the PECO double track bridge as a template for the height, width and the curve on the arch. I'll measure it for you when I'm in the shed later.

Regards,

Peter

• RMweb Gold
On 15/02/2022 at 09:15, Ray H said:

Peter

I'm considering using a tunnel to hide part of new O gauge layout. Can you advise where you got the dimensions for the railway arch under you bridge?

Thanks.

Hi Ray,

I hope this diagram helps, I outlined the actual arch.

Regards,

Peter

592650935_TunnelDimensions.jpg.5d2dde9be7dc13d59b3fe7a8eb98e5ce.jpg

• 7 months later...