Ultra micro digital servos and ESU Switchpilot servo

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks 

Wonder if aniyone has any words of wisdom please on the HK5320 Ultra Micro Digital servos.... https://www.amazon.co.uk/HK-5320-Ultra-Micro-Digital-0-05sec-orangeRX/dp/B01JS7LO00

Am trying to use them for signals controlled by the ESU Switchpilot servo accessory decoder. Standard 9G servos are fine and power up when connected to the decoder and can be set up using the direct programming buttons ... but not the HK5320s. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

Phil

I have not used the ECoS unit , but I have used these servos extensively ,( on signals )  they are rated at a max. Operating voltage of 4.7 , though they seem to survive at 5V. My drivers boards are now tweaked to 4.5v

other then that they operate exactly the same way as SG90 

5 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Hi folks 

Wonder if aniyone has any words of wisdom please on the HK5320 Ultra Micro Digital servos.... https://www.amazon.co.uk/HK-5320-Ultra-Micro-Digital-0-05sec-orangeRX/dp/B01JS7LO00

Am trying to use them for signals controlled by the ESU Switchpilot servo accessory decoder. Standard 9G servos are fine and power up when connected to the decoder and can be set up using the direct programming buttons ... but not the HK5320s. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

Phil

Phil ,

I'm sure they are the ones I've got in the attic to try , where my layout etc. resides . Got mine from Hobbyking some time ago (the HK number stands for that I believe) , and they were cheaper than Amazon I'm sure . I'm now building the signals for them , but using Megapoints gubbins , which I get on well with .Dave at Megapoints recommends those wee servos .

Regards , Roy .

Phil ,

My servos are HK5330 . ultra micro digital , (currently £3.30 from Hobbyking ) 4 1/2 to 6 volt.  which is a requirement for Megapionts I believe . Dave at Megapoints uses them on his demos at shows and on his website . they are very good and have bounce for the upper quadrant signals .

So they are not the same as the ones you asked about . 

Regards , Roy .

• RMweb Gold

I currently have 3 of these Servo's controlling 2 signals and 1 Peco Turnout ( surface mounted due to space restrictions ) - I am using a ESU Switchpilot v2.0 servo output for the latter without any issue . I did have one servo failure , but this was a dud servo on receipt and was replaced by the vendor.

For signals I control my servo's using a GF servo control board ( 2 x 1.7g Servo's and 6 x 9 g Servo's )

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, resin001 said:

I currently have 3 of these Servo's controlling 2 signals and 1 Peco Turnout ( surface mounted due to space restrictions ) - I am using a ESU Switchpilot v2.0 servo output for the latter without any issue . I did have one servo failure , but this was a dud servo on receipt and was replaced by the vendor.

For signals I control my servo's using a GF servo control board ( 2 x 1.7g Servo's and 6 x 9 g Servo's )

Cheers! I have a total of 8 .... none of which want to power up! Can I ask how you have connected the servo to the switchpilot as connections are not compatible ....

• RMweb Gold

I did get some miniature sockets off the internet to allow me to make an adapter but the plug was not a good fit in the socket and kept popping out . Now I make my own adapter by cutting off the small plug leaving the wires attached to the servo and attach a standard plug ( I buy servo extension cable with standard plugs attached and cut these and solder the wires to the 1.7g servo ) . I use an Heathcote Electronics single servo drive unit so that I can test them on the bench prior to installation.  

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2020 at 16:16, Junctionmad said:

For reference , despite them being as advertised as JST connections , these servos have molex “ PicoBlade “ connectors , the pins are on a 1.25 mm pitch , there’s is no compatible JST connector. 

Many thanks! SO have now cut the Male JST off and wired on some patch leads which will connect directly to the Switchpilot servo. Now when I connect the + and -ve servo leads the servo powers up and moves randomly.... but as soon as I connect the orange signal wire it goes back to sleep and wont respond. Grrrrr.....

• RMweb Premium

Have you tried it on a basic servo tester? I wasted a lot of time with a batch I bought and could not get working reliably and eventually found most faulty. Something like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Servo-Tester-3-Channels-ESC-tester-UK-Seller/143182440355?hash=item215656a7a3:g:E2MAAOSwIqRclK6y