Virtual Members' Day Exhibition - the layouts

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

OG saw red again...

Seeing them is one thing, stopping is a different matter  altogether. 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Taz said:

I was half expecting a bloomin great space station to slowly spin into view...

It’s the driver, Hal, I’m worried about. The cleaner says his eyes glow red . . .

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Well thankyou very much to the organisers. I will try to make it again sometime but hopefully not in the same circumstances. I need not be going now as its not a long way to get back to Blackpool and it is Sunday service on the trains. Should make it back by midnight if I don't miss the last connection!

Cheers, and the pasties were everything I expected them not to be!

Ian Mac en route!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I think it's safe to say that today has definitely been the best show we never went to

I'll second that. It's been a blast, so very many thanks to all the folks involved in the organising, not just the participating.

If it's nearly not going home time, I'd better sort out my last post.

Cue the bugler . . . . . . . . .

Edited by Mick Bonwick
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 2ManySpams said:

Treneglos Photos Part 2

All photos by Andy York

Treneglos_Feature_11_smoke.jpg.303ac7973cb2ccead62460b62d0cdce1.jpg

Maunsell N Class 31844 on the through goods from Wadebridge to Halwill Junction, Okehampton and Exeter. The Ns were the mainstay of freight services in the area but were also equally at home on local passenger workings. The class originated in 1917 incorporated many advanced features for their time. 31844 is typical of the majority that ran on the NCR: right hand drive and with a 3,500 gallon straight-sided tender. Loco: renumbered Bachmann. Wagons: weathered Bachmann.

Treneglos_Feature_12_smoke.jpg.7a32fe0a4d18241ef3c9588c870fc651.jpg

Between them Maunsell N Class 31844 and a farmer in his ‘Landy’ do their best to disturb the peace in the otherwise quiet, sheltered valley.

Treneglos_Feature_13_smoke.jpg.4a286b4e3e05da21d287500c79e74bd0.jpg

Drummond T9 30709 waits patiently in the station loop for Maunsell N Class 31844 to arrive. The Up goods will be allowed to pass through the station at a crawl allowing the exchange of tablets. It is not scheduled to stop or shunt at Treneglos and the Down service was the ‘pick-up’ goods.

Treneglos_Feature_14.jpg.d59d796d3831826005bab29ae4941535.jpg

The fireman of Maunsell N Class 31844 has been able to relax since cresting the summit near Otterham and he’s got another 10 miles of downhill before 13 miles of climbing up to Halwill Junction.

Treneglos_Feature_15_smoke.jpg.605f72c8732b4aab73f32fc05b3c7b7e.jpg

Starting its attack on the 5 mile climb to the summit just beyond Otterham station, Drummond T9 30709 pulls away from Treneglos with a two-coach local set and van.

Treneglos_Feature_16_only_use_small_BW.jpg.0b248f8ec5c17aa957934c3999788cec.jpg

Signalman Fred Francis has pulled off the outer home in plenty of time to allow the next Up train to run unhindered straight into the station. He will want our photographer to get out of the six foot well before the train reaches the viaduct!

Treneglos_Feature_17_smoke.jpg.97b7d8fa854e5580c1f22d0eac18f37f.jpg

It’s early afternoon at Treneglos and the 3:13pm departure from Padstow approaches the viaduct with Drummond T9 30717 in charge. This service was known by enginemen as ‘The Perisher’ and attached to the rear of the two-coach local set were vans and container traffic. These contained meat and other perishable items that needed a quicker passage up-country than could be provided by the twice-daily ‘pick-up’ goods. Loco: Hornby T9 renumbered. Coaches: Hornby Maunsells renumbered as 2-set P 180 (Brake third, brake composite). Long vans: Parkside kits. Wagons: Bachmann.

Treneglos_Feature_18.jpg.d9cae0b6f214b78341e014aaa07bce6e.jpg

The farmer in his trusty Landy makes yet another crossing of the steam. Overhead on the viaduct, Drummond T9 30717 passes with ‘The Perisher’.

Treneglos_Feature_19.jpg.dccab74dec75d856b0672f9e2ca408e5.jpg

Making a distinctive clanking sound, Drummond T9 30717 is slowing to stop at Treneglos. Passenger traffic waiting to join the train looks sparse. All the lineside fencing on the layout was made from stripwood by John, with posts and rails fixed to follow the landscape.

Treneglos_Feature_20_smoke.jpg.a029d17982a92cb488b8f9ef6e5a17d5.jpg

Drummond T9 30717 drifts past the signal box. Troods store has recently received a delivery of fertiliser or seed for the local farmers. The 'cast iron' sign is etched-brass and the signal is an MSE etched-brass arm on a plastic Ratio (GWR) wooden post.

This is still one of my all-time favorite layouts. It captures the rough countryside of North Cornwall so well. The T9 and P-Sets really will forever be associated with this line. Brilliant modelling. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 2